Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Trent Green's hit a cheap shot?

Bookmark and Share

Was Trent Green's hit a cheap shot?

There is a lot of talk of this.
    Trent Green got knocked smooth the f*** out while trying to take a linemans knees out. I undertstand that this is how a lesser man would have to hit someone like that successfully, but should it be or is it illegal. If it were a reverse situation, the lineman would have been flagged, and possibly fined for a low blow to a quarter back. In a league in which double standards are argued every week, this seems like an obvious one. Bettis did not think it was cheap, he said that is how Green would have to hit him. Tiki, and Collinsworth disagreed, especially Tiki, echoing the sentiments that if it is illegal in one facet ,it should be across the board.
    Let's think for a minute what if the reason it is an illegal hit ,is the harm it could cause the tackler. That is why you don't go diving at someones knees with your head down. See what you hit , hit what you see.
    It goes both ways.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    I agree.. it has to go both ways. If a lineman did that to another lineman, you bet your *** a flag would have been thrown. DB to QB, flag.. LB to QB, flag.. Lineman to QB.. flag. I've never ever seen it the other way, and I doubt you ever will. QBs will be wearing flags in a few years. Or a tu tu

The only way you don't see those flags against the D, is when the QB is out of the pocket. But then the refs are still flag happy on the QB slide or a hit close to the sidelines.

The NFL has to protect its money makers.. without Manning, who would be doing all those comercials? lol.

I don't remember, but was there a flag when Trent got knocked out last time agains the Ravens?

My Mood
    Angry
    There is no way that Trent Green's hit a Purposeful attempt to injure another player.

I believe Trent just reacted to the play and made the best-bad block that he could.
    Travis Johnson??? the Classless Fool who Green blocked should have been ejected from the game along with the 15yd taunting penalty after seeing Green lieing motionless on the field.

Hey Travis!!! Maybe had you peaked your blindside like you should have when you're in angle pursuit or changing directions you might have spotted Trent in time to avoid the whole thing.

Tiki Barber and Chris Collinsworth are ***-jerks for calling Green's hit a Cheapshot.

It's the way they are taught to block ..throw yourself at his legs. Did he try to hurt him, hell no, he was just trying to block how he was taught. It almost the same as when a RB is cutting through a defense and a DB comes up and takes out his legs, like Troy did to James last week.
    To quote a great movie,Remember the Titans.... Coach to Ref "C'mon Ref that's a penalty " Ref's response " On the quarterback??"...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
    There is no way that Trent Green's hit a Purposeful attempt to injure another player.

I believe Trent just reacted to the play and made the best-bad block that he could.
    Travis Johnson??? the Classless Fool who Green blocked should have been ejected from the game along with the 15yd taunting penalty after seeing Green lieing motionless on the field.

Hey Travis!!! Maybe had you peaked your blindside like you should have when you're in angle pursuit or changing directions you might have spotted Trent in time to avoid the whole thing.

Tiki Barber and Chris Collinsworth are ***-jerks for calling Green's hit a Cheapshot.
    You believe right, he did just react to a play, and made an illegal hit.He made the decision not to man up, but to instinctively the low road. Green is not a dirty player, nor do I think he made the illegal block on purpose, but doesn't change the results .Unfortunately for him, he got a face full of kharma. It would be interesting to see the reactions of folks, if Johnson didn't get up. If the situation were reversed Johnson would have been flagged, or suspended, and been a pariah for hitting a defenseless qb low.( see Keisel)
    You can dress it up however you want, but it is what it is. Cheap cowardly hit.
    Tiki and Collinswoth are ***-jerks , but they were right about this.
    Johnson showed his *** in his reaction, true, he was angry that someone tried to end his career in his viewpoint. Can you imagine what would have happened if Trent were not rendered unconcious by the hit?
    You would have seen some illegal shiat then that is for sure. If he barked like that at a unconcious dude, whoa man.
    But that is why everyone has a problem with Johnson's reaction, if Green is concious, it gets sorted out differently.
    Last edited by GoBenGo; 10-08-2007 at 07:10 PM.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

ok johnson cant be taunting a player laying there dead and he cant be bashing the guy being carried out on a stretcher after they won they game and he can walk fine.

BUT blocking like that is ****ed up, no questions asked, its ****ed up......he may not have been trying to blow out johnsons knee but he very well could have. it was ****ed up plain and simple.....quarterbacks cant bitch about having their knees hit (like anthony smith on hasselbeck this week) and have a hit like that be legal just because it was a lineman on the other side....like i said....****ed up

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Going for the knees is way different then trying to take a players legs out from underneath him. You also have to consider who was trying to make the block, a aging QB who got knocked the **** out last year in KC. Hes still tentative as far as contact goes but at least he was tryin to help his teammates. He could've pulled up but hes a competitor no matter how old or slow he is.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBenGo View Post
    You can dress it up however you want, but it is what it is. Cheap cowardly hit.

The only problem I have is with the term Cheapshot/Cowardly hit.
    Cheapshot and Cowardly Hit still infers a purposeful intent to play dirty.
    Trent is very guilty of making split second stupid/reactive decision in which he did get knocked the **** out and paid the price but it was nothing more than that IMO.

2nd String
    it was illegal an green paided an hell of an price DUMB AZZ u have no business trying 2 throw an block, anyway they pay u 2 THROW THE BALL DICK HEAD, now look at u ur career is over because u tried 2 give another perosn an cheap shot trent green u suck!!!!!!!!!!!!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    True that QBs are paid to "throw the ball". But if Big Ben felt that way, there would be no shoe string tackle, and no Super Bowl ring...

A truly competitive QB who wants to help his team win will do almost anything--rush for yards, do a QB sneak, make a tackle, block, etc. They just have to know when they do that, they're opening themselves up to (possibly) very bad, or career ending injuries.

As far as Trent, I think it was just instinctive and not a premeditated thing at all--it happened so fast, he just reacted. From all the interviews I've seen with him, he doesn't seem to have the type of personality to want to really hurt someone. However--it doesn't change the fact that he could've hurt the other guy. But they all play knowing it could be the last game they ever play in--it's a rough sport.

Thread Information