Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate to be the bearer of bad news....Ward out this weekend

Bookmark and Share

I hate to be the bearer of bad news....Ward out this weekend

Steelers' Ward to sit out for second straight week

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Still slowed by a sprained knee, Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward will be sidelined for a second straight week on Sunday when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks.

The 10th-year veteran sustained the injury, originally diagnosed as a bruised knee, in the third quarter of a Sept. 23 victory over the San Francisco 49ers. A subsequent MRI exam revealed no structural damage, but Ward has been unable to practice since the injury. He said early this week that he is making progress, but apparently not enough to allow him to return to the lineup.

Nate Washington, who had two receptions for 18 yards in last week loss at Arizona, will get a second straight start.

"As players, we hate to miss games," Ward said on Thursday. "These are games I can never get back. But, at the same time, you have to look at the big picture. We have a bye coming up and the stretch after that we have three division games and the Denver Broncos on the road. I have to be smart about it. That's the best thing for me to do for the team."

The other starting wide receiver remains second-year veteran Santonio Holmes, who scored two touchdowns last week and is emerging at the team's best deep threat.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Friday also ruled out nickel cornerback Bryant McFadden (ankle) for Sunday's game. Nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) and strong safety Troy Polamalu (abdomen) are listed as questionable, but have not practiced all week and are not likely to play. Backup nose tackle Chris Hoke, who suffered a spinal cord concussion during last week's game, has been cleared to return and probably will take Hampton's place.

In his three appearances this season, Ward, 31, has nine catches for 108 yards and one touchdown.

A four-time Pro Bowl performer and the most valuable player in Pittsburgh's victory in Super Bowl XL two years ago, Ward is key to the Pittsburgh offense, not just as its most accomplished receiver, but also because he is one of the best downfield blocking wide receivers in the league.

In 144 games, Ward has 657 catches for 8,113 yards and 59 touchdowns. He is the leading pass-catcher in franchise history.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Wow--it went from looking like ALL of them would be playing, to now only ONE is an absolute.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    yeah I know right, just goes to show you can never really tell; especially with knee injuries.

I hate to have Ward out because that means that sensationally average combination of Wilson and Washington will be on the field more. Please Tomlin, let Cedric start; not that Im expecting great things from him or anything but Nate has hardly warranted a 2nd starting chance.

Hopefully Spaeth is playing which will give Ben another target he didnt have last week.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    Wow--it went from looking like ALL of them would be playing, to now only ONE is an absolute.
    I agree. What's with all the early good news and now this???

Tailgate Coordinator
    I was prepared for none of them to play this week. I am still surprised that Casey is playing. A hamstring injury doesn't heal that fast, bet he isn't 100%.

I'm A "Champion"

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Quote Originally Posted by biglarrythree View Post
    Nate Washington, who had two receptions for 18 yards in last week loss at Arizona, will get a second straight start.
    Great.. I'm betting on the "over" on lolly-gagging on pass routes.

washington is better than wilson...just know that. everyone knew this was coming since the bye week is coming right up, it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    washington is better than wilson...just know that.
    quit following me, lol. **** Nate.

sorry but im already the founder and president of the i hope cedric wilson dies club.....i cant hate nate more than wilson at this point. give him one more game against a sorry seattle secondary, i think he can come through

Im not gonna be the one man fan club for Ced, but vs those two schmucks, Ced has been by far more productive. Nate has one more game, lol.. or I'm gonna come out with my best sig yet

Thread Information