Thread: Steelers-Jags rivalr born of inspiration & emulation

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers-Jags rivalr born of inspiration & emulation

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/682...oydsig2rs0.jpg

Sunday, September 17, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tomorrow night, the Super Bowl arrives early for Jacksonville.

"They call it 'Pittsburgh Week,'" said Steelers safety Mike Logan, who has played on both sides of the game.

"When I was down there preparing for Pittsburgh, they prepared like it was the biggest game on the schedule, regardless of what was going on or where we were standing. They take it pretty seriously."

The Jaguars always have considered the Steelers their biggest rivals, right from the start when as a first-year expansion team, they shocked the Steelers, 20-16, Oct. 8, 1995. That they now play them as the defending Super Bowl champs on a Monday night at home ranks among their biggest games in their 12-year history, right up with that victory against the Steelers in the franchise's sixth game.

"The rivalry," Charles Bailey said, "was brewing."

Bailey serves as the Jaguars' pro personnel director, a job he held with the Steelers when the Jaguars formed in 1995. Tom Coughlin, Jacksonville's first head coach, targeted the Steelers not only as the team to beat in the AFC Central Division, but the one which he would most like to copy.

"During those '90s I think we, the Pittsburgh Steelers, set the tone for what being physical was, what running was and taking one game at time," Bailey said. "I think a lot of teams followed that blueprint, which Bill Cowher and those guys still follow today. We know they're going to run the football, we know they're coming with Blitzburgh. Guys' temperatures go up here when they play the Pittsburgh Steelers."

They play for the 18th time tomorrow night in Jacksonville and while the rivalry may have cooled since the teams went their separate division ways in the NFL realignment in 2002, they played two of their most exciting games of the series in each of the past two seasons.

"Now that the divisions changed and we don't play Jacksonville every year, it seems like it's lessened," Logan said. "But to them, I don't think it does."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returns to a scene where he pulled off some of the magic that marked his rookie season. Trailing the Jaguars with 1:55 left in a Sunday night game, Roethlisberger led the offense 56 yards on six plays with no timeouts left, and Jeff Reed kicked a 37-yard field goal to win it, 17-16.

Roethlisberger missed the game last season against Jacksonville in Heinz Field Oct. 16 because of a knee injury six days earlier in San Diego. Tommy Maddox replaced him and was terrible; he fumbled away a chance to win the game in overtime, then threw a pass that Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis intercepted and returned 41 yards for a touchdown to give the Jaguars a 23-17 victory.

That also left Jacksonville with a 9-8 edge in the series, one of only two losing records Bill Cowher has against NFL teams in which he has met at least five times.

When in their first season the Jaguars stunned the Steelers, it set the tone for a series often described as physical. Despite that loss, the Steelers would, 31/2 months later, go on to make the Super Bowl. The Jaguars reached the AFC title game in just their second season and followed with records of 11-5, 11-5 and 14-2, and another AFC title game visit.

They did a good job molding themselves after one of the NFL's grand old franchises.
    It's been a pretty wicked rivalry ever since that first game. The jags hate us and we hate them. Here's to us shutting up that home crowd and giving them a taste of Steeler football on monday nite !

Jacksonville always shows up to play against Pittsburgh, and the games are fun to watch especially when the Steelers are on the receiving end! IMO, I don't think the Steelers never really thought of the Jags as being a rival but Jacksonville made sure the Steelers didn't ever look past them, espeically after that shocker in 95, it's going to be a great game Monday.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Don't jinx us with that remembering that 95 game Yeah the jags may not be a rival in terms of the clowns, bungals, or ratbirds but outside of the division there's not many teams I like beating more than the jags.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun
    Don't jinx us with that remembering that 95 game Yeah the jags may not be a rival in terms of the clowns, bungals, or ratbirds but outside of the division there's not many teams I like beating more than the jags.
    NE and Dallas are always a good win too!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Got that right, and the Titans & Raiders

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun
    http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/682...oydsig2rs0.jpg

Here's to us shutting up that home crowd and giving them a taste of Steeler football on monday nite !
    Who says the steeler fans will not take over the stadium? You got to know that we will be well represented down in Jacksonville.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Why does it seem that we always have teams copyin the Steelers in one way or another. Let them try to play like them and put it all against them. It will just make it more embarassing for the jags when the Steelers show them how it's really done. If you try to play their game they are only goin to play it harder, smarter, longer, faster, and more successfully than the jags every time. After Monday night the rivalry they so badly want from the Steelers will only feed into the wounds the Steelers deal on their asses.

BuFu

I hate the Fags and their fans...

Thread Information