Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Bush Investigation

Bookmark and Share
    These big time program you know something is up! Back in High School this guy on our team was a beast! He got a full ride to Missouri (he was actually the guy that almost intercepted the ball in the end zone of that thrilling game between Nebraska and Missouri about 9-10 years ago... good trivia question ) and he kept in touch with a mutual friend we both had. Well, to make a long story short he was getting some "extra" benefits with his full ride scholarship. I would imagine all of the D1 schools are doing a little something for their "stars".

My Mood
    Amazed
    Was it last year they did a poll on how many college athletes have taken money, gifts, etc and many previous college athletes did confess to have doing so, in fact the # was startling. It went back to high school.

I personally do think that any kid should be allowed to work, then again maybe athletes are and I am ignorant of that fact.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't personally see a problem with college players in any sport getting some extra help from prospective agents or getting some help on the side from the college. Im sure there would be ramifications of it if something happened where the player didn't get drafted or got seriously injured or something and I can also see where the kids wouldn't always research it enough to cover their asses either.

I doubt the NCAA removes any titles or honors (but they should), instead, they'll punish THIS years team and make them bowl ineligible or something...that's fundamentally unfair.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by suitanim
    I doubt the NCAA removes any titles or honors (but they should), instead, they'll punish THIS years team and make them bowl ineligible or something...that's fundamentally unfair.
    I couldn't agree more Suit. Bush has everything he wanted out of it and the NCAA will turn around and punish the players that had nothing to do with it. They need to come up with something better than they have.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by suitanim

I can remember years ago when Michigan was in deep, deep trouble. A booster Ed Martin gave a player money throughout his high school and college years. The Chris Webber went on to play for Sacramento http://www.news10.net/storyfull.asp?id=3674
    Michigan had won titles in the NIT http://www.bettingexpress.com/news/s...ing/36597.html
    Steve Fischer who was the head coach of UofM and (hypothetically) also aware of what was going on went on to coach in the at another NCAA school (which looked very strange but at the same time, maybe he wasn't in on it) I live in MI (in East lansing) and they fairly or unfairly had fischer hung.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fisher

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

House of Steel
    Fischer was an idiot at Michigan, Lyn. I even went to a few games at Crisler Arena and the players were awesome, exception of Webber. I wanted to hang Webber after that damn NCAA Title game where he called a TO and there wasn't one left. North Carolina went on to win it. MORON!!!

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel
    Fischer was an idiot at Michigan, Lyn. I even went to a few games at Crisler Arena and the players were awesome, exception of Webber. I wanted to hang Webber after that damn NCAA Title game where he called a TO and there wasn't one left. North Carolina went on to win it. MORON!!!

For being an idiot, as you say, he did know how to win ball games.

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

House of Steel
    Yeah, but he should of told WEBBER we had no more timeouts. I played with his brother at Spring Arbor College on the Men's team. He isn't nearly as good as his older brother, Chris. Them two look alike.

I don't know how he can deny he's done nothing wrong... see highlight in quote!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/...nvestigation_7

Reggie Bush responds to gift allegations
    LOS ANGELES - New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush and his family appear to have accepted gifts, money and other benefits worth more than $100,000 from two marketing agents while the Heisman Trophy winner was still playing at Southern California, according to a report posted Thursday on Yahoo.com.

After practice Friday, Bush responded to questions about the report much the same as he did when the allegations of improper benefits first were reported earlier this year.

"I'm not worried about any of these allegations or anything like that," he said. "Because I know what the truth is, like I said from day one. Once the smoke clears, everybody's going to see we did nothing wrong."

The report says Michael Michaels, a marketing agency investor who wanted to represent the football star, and current Bush marketing agent Mike Ornstein lavished Bush and his family with gifts while he was still at USC, each hoping to entice him to sign with them once he left school.

Bush eventually chose Ornstein, which caused a falling out between Michaels and Bush's family.

Speculation over whether Bush and his family received money arose earlier this year in reports that his mother and stepfather didn't pay $54,000 in rent during the year they lived in a house owned by Michaels, who later said the family promised to repay him once Bush went pro.

The NCAA prohibits student-athletes and their families from receiving extra benefits from agents or their representatives. Any improper benefits could lead to NCAA sanctions against USC and retroactively cost Bush his college eligibility and Heisman Trophy.

"Obviously it does affect you just because it is out there," Bush said. "But at the same time I know there's nothing to worry about.

"It makes you want to go out there right away and tell your side of the story. Show everybody the facts, the truth. But you can't do that. That wouldn't be the right way to do it."

Thread Information