Thread: Davenport gets a quick lesson--The Practice Report

Bookmark and Share
    House of Steel

Davenport gets a quick lesson--The Practice Report

Davenport gets a quick lesson
    Thursday, September 14, 2006
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Running back Najeh Davenport took part in his first practice with the Steelers on Wednesday and got a crash course on the game plan and terminology so that he will be ready to play on Monday night against the Jaguars if needed.

"That's the plan," said Davenport, of the possibility of playing on Monday. "It's going to take some learning, but right now they are teaching me the game plan and we will go from there.

"The terminology is the only thing. Once you get the terminology down you can go in and out of a system. We did some things in Green Bay they do here. It's just the terminology. "

Davenport signed with the Steelers last Friday after missing most of last season with an ankle injury. He played four seasons with the Green Bay Packers and brings a lot of versatility and experience to the backfield.

"We will see what he is able to pick up and how comfortable he is," said head coach Bill Cowher. "I think he is a proven big back and I think we are looking for that.

"I have watched him run; I think he fits what we are looking for. He is a young guy. He could also play some in the kicking game. He has played third down, he has played fullback. I think he gives you a lot of versatility. I think he is the one guy that was out there that fits what we were looking for at this point, with the makeup of our roster."

His size is definitely an advantage. The Steelers have the speedster in Willie Parker, but are looking for someone who can bring more of a physical aspect to the backfield.

"I am a big back," said Davenport, who is 6-1, 247 pounds. "I have halfback skills and a fullback body. There aren't too many people like that. This is a great opportunity for me."

Davenport is not certain what role he will play on the team, but he is willing to do whatever is asked of him.

"My role is whatever you need me to do, I am going to do it, special teams, what have you," said Davenport. "Whatever they need me to do. Whenever they want to give me the ball and take some carries, I will gladly take them. I'm just happy, ecstatic to be on the field."

Sounds to me like we really got a gem in this kid. I hope he can contribute and really bring a load off of Willie. I think this is going to become a very good pickup by the Steelers.

he does seem to be saying all the right things. i hope for his sake he's able to stay healthy and contribute.

I'm looking forward to see what he can to do Monday night. I expect some miscues from him just as long they don't cost the Steelers the game. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders though and he is saying all he right things like Friday said. Which is good because someone did remind of his little poo incident

My Mood
    Addicted
    Could be he's saying all the right things because he wants to be here with the Steelers after seeing how another "big backs" career went....lol

i dunno, i always thought staley has been a team player, he's just over the hill.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't know how much I'd use him in the kicking game right now, he needs to stay healthy for us in the running game !

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    I expect some miscues from him just as long they don't cost the Steelers the game.
    Can any one guy cost us the game? That's a pretty heavy burden to put on anybody ...

I have a really good feeling about Davenport; call it woman's intuition (and I'll hope mine is as on in this case as it's proven to be in the past). He did, after all, have other choices. I think it's important that he WANTS to be with us

i wouldn't mind seeing davenport in some short yardage situations between the 20's. however, i wonder how much he'll be able to contribute so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersFire
    Can any one guy cost us the game? That's a pretty heavy burden to put on anybody ...

I have a really good feeling about Davenport; call it woman's intuition (and I'll hope mine is as on in this case as it's proven to be in the past). He did, after all, have other choices. I think it's important that he WANTS to be with us
    Tommy Maddox cost the Steelers a game... last year... agaisnt Jacksonville... fumble when getting into FG territory... game winning INT in OT...

Davenport does have a case of the dropsies when it comes to carrying the football. All I am asking is that he's not used when the game is on the line because he hasn't proved a thing with the Steelers yet. Hopefully, he's not put in that situation to carry the burden yet

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Anyone guy can cost us the game if we don't get the production we need to either run out the clock, kick a last minute FG, or score that TD to put us in the lead late in the 4th quarter....HOWEVER, the team takes the burden because they shouldn't have put themselves in that position in the first place.

Thread Information