Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben Has 'Black Cloud' Following Him--I am rolling my eyes on this.

Bookmark and Share
    House of Steel

Big Ben Has 'Black Cloud' Following Him--I am rolling my eyes on this.

Big Ben Has 'Black Cloud' Following Him
    Steelers QB Still Hoping to Play on Monday
    By ALAN ROBINSON
    AP
    PITTSBURGH (Sept. 13) - Ben Roethlisberger is beginning to wonder about what he calls "that black cloud over my head."

The knee injury that kept him out of three games last season. The motorcycle crash in June that shattered his face and caused so much bleeding paramedics feared he might die. The appendectomy that forced him to miss the Pittsburgh Steelers ' first game, just when it seemed he had made a remarkably fast recovery from the crash.

"I've been through a little bit the last couple of months, but it's just another thing," Roethlisberger said Wednesday, when he practiced for the first time since his latest operation. "Things happen for a reason, and I'm taking that approach. That's why I'm going to get back as soon as I can."

In his mind, that means Monday's game in Jacksonville - two weeks and a day after his third operation in 10 months. Listed as questionable, he sounds like someone who's convinced he's ready to return.

"It feels normal," Roethlisberger said. "It feels like nothing's wrong."

His midsection remains a little sore, he said, but the discomfort is not expected to be a problem by Monday.

Wide receiver Hines Ward played two weeks after having an appendectomy during training camp in 2002 and made eight catches in a season-opening game against New England . He expects Roethlisberger to play but said there is bound to be some physical discomfort.

"There's no question you feel it. I mean, you just went under the knife," Ward said. "You're going to feel the pain a little bit. One play I got hit right in the stomach, right in the abdomen. It hurt a little bit, but it was more mental than anything else, because I saw I was going to get hit there. Once I got over the mental thing, I felt fine."

Roethlisberger, talking to reporters for the first time since his appendix attack, said he had no warning that he had a problem. He and backup quarterback Charlie Batch attended the Virginia-Pitt game the night before Roethlisberger woke up Sept. 3 with a bad stomachache.

"I didn't know what it was, so I just came in here," Roethlisberger said, referring to the Steelers' practice complex. "I passed coach (Bill Cowher) along the way. He told me to suck it up, it's just one of those things. You think it's a stomachache, and it turns out to be a lot worse than you think."

To try to keep the quarterback healthy, defensive end Brett Keisel put a partly empty bottle of water in Roethlisberger's locker for good luck. Apparently, playing off the adage that it should be viewed as half full rather than half empty.

Roethlisberger wants to get back as quickly as he can, even though backup Batch threw three touchdown passes in the 28-17 victory over Miami on Sept. 7. Although the Steelers did not practice Monday and Tuesday, Roethlisberger did some light throwing with his receivers both days.

Last season, Roethlisberger had to sit out a 23-17 overtime loss to Jacksonville in Pittsburgh because of a knee injury unrelated to the one that required surgery several weeks later. Tommy Maddox replaced him in that game, turning the ball over four times, twice in overtime.

"It's always a battle with them," Roethlisberger said. "Their front seven on defense is unbelievable, and they've got some hard hitters in the secondary that are really smart. It's going to be a challenge for us offensively."

This is an indication I believe he is going to be ready to go on Monday Night in Jacksonville. I feel very confident we can win with Ben under center.

Whew, you scared me with the topic title; for a sec I thought something else happened to him.

i just hope he's fully healed. nothing would be worse than him coming back to early and getting hurt, possibly with a more serious injury.

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersFire
    Whew, you scared me with the topic title; for a sec I thought something else happened to him.
    You did notice the end of that title--I am rolling my eyes over this The darn media makes a big deal over nothing.

Everyone one goes through these years when it seems nothing goes right for you, hopefully the past year has been that year for Ben! Although he did win the SB during this string of bad luck, so once his fortune turns around look out NFL! We all go through these kind of times though because it seems like when it rains it pours and lately it just been pouring for Ben. Things will get better for him...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben is a quick healer and he did lead us to the SB so if he can accomplish all that with being hurt off and on all year imagine what he'll do for us when he's healthy for the entire season !

Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel
    You did notice the end of that title--I am rolling my eyes over this The darn media makes a big deal over nothing.
    LoL ... it was early dear, I'm not good without a least one cuppa

Charlie Batch played a hell of a game, i would be comfortable with him against jacksonville, as much as i want ben to be back as soon as possible, i dont want him to get hurt, or not have enough practice and be off all night. He doesnt need to prove how tough he is, at least not to me.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    BigBen will be back and we are going to kick the Jaqs ***.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Big Ben will be fine.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Thread Information