Thread: Time/Warner to Pull NFL Network?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Amazed

Time/Warner to Pull NFL Network?

Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Time Warner Inc., operator of the nation's second-largest cable company, is close to dropping the National Football League's network from systems it recently purchased.

Time Warner alerted customers last month it will drop the channel if it can't reach a carriage agreement with the NFL for cable systems purchased in July from the Adelphia Communications Corp. and ComcastCorp. Time Warner set a Sept. 15 deadline.

An estimated 1.4 million Time Warner customers will lose the channel if a new agreement isn't reached by the deadline. The football channel reaches more than 40 million homes served by other cable and satellite TV companies, said Seth Palansky, a spokesman for NFL Networks.

Much more at:
    http://tinyurl.com/ek4o9 (Bloomberg.com)
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    I just got Nfl network and now this possibility LOL oh well!~

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

Here's the thing people don't realize (I used to work for TWC). There are huge costs with programming...I think something like $3.50 of every persons cable bill goes directly to ESPN, and they can get away with charging the cable companies that much because they HAVE to carry ESPN. The NFL Network raised their rates 350% after the first year, and TWC doesn't want to pass that cost on to every subscriber, so they want to move NFL Network into a sports tier that costs a couple extra bucks a month. This way only the people who want the programming pay for it. Believe it or not, they are doing this in the best interest of their subscribers.

My Mood
    Amazed
    It will be interesting to see what happens as we get closer to Thanksgiving, when the NFL Network will be showing games. Live NFL games are advertising gold mines, so we may see these companies coming around in the next two months.

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

i have comcast cable here in pittsburgh. last night i just purchased the NFL network for $4.95 a month. it came with a sports package as suit said, and includes some foxsports channels a soccer channel, NBA tv and some crap horse racing channels.

although if i had the ability, i'd go back to directTV. i had that before i got married, it is by far and away the best system to watch football.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I've had DirecTV for like 10 years now. Would never go back to cable unless I had no other option. I can get NFL Sunday Ticket, way more movie channels, don't have to pay extra to get my signal in digital becuase it already is and so on.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's all about the licensing agreements and cable companies as well as satellite companies are at the mercy of the channel. The network won't normally budge on their asking price and that price goes up every year about 15% atleast. It's also based on the subscribers and since TimeWarner recently got all these new subs the price has undoubtably sky rocketed.

If they do drop the channel you can look for them to pick it back up again when they get flooded with customer complaining and dropping the service. Par for the course, happens every time a licensing agreement comes up.

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    Ive really never heard of Time Werner Cable the only have comcast in phila

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, and Clear Channel are the biggest cable providers in the country. Comcast is the biggest with service all over the country. Time Warner is mainly in the central, west, southwest...same with Cox.

Thread Information