Thread: NFL destroys 'spygate' materials

Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

NFL destroys 'spygate' materials

NFL destroys 'spygate' materials
    Patriots turn over all requested items to league office
    Posted: Thursday September 20, 2007 11:26PM; Updated: Thursday September 20, 2007 11:26PM

NFL Team Page

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL has received and destroyed all materials it requested from the New England Patriots concerning videotaping of opponents' sidelines.

A league statement Thursday said the team was in compliance with a request for tapes and other documents.

"The Patriots have fully cooperated and complied with the requirements of the commissioner's decision," the statement said. "All tapes, documents and other records relating to this matter were turned over to the league office and destroyed, and the Patriots have certified in writing that no copies or other records exist.

"League policies on in-game videotaping and audio communication will continue to be closely monitored and strictly enforced with all 32 teams."

Last week, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and the team was fined $250,000 for violating a league rule that prohibits clubs from using a video camera on the sidelines for any purpose -- including recording signals relayed to opposing players on the field. New England also must forfeit a first-round draft pick next year if it makes the playoffs or a second- and third-rounder if it doesn't.

A video camera aimed at Jets coaches was confiscated from a Patriots employee during the first quarter of the team's 38-14 win Sept. 9 over New York. Jets coach Eric Mangini has had a cool relationship with Belichick since leaving as Patriots defensive coordinator after the 2005 season.

When asked if the Patriots' defensive players also used microphones or other recording devices in their shoulder pads to pick up Jets audibles, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said: "We have no evidence to support that claim."

If there wasn't nothing wrong with the tapes, why were they destroyed? And not just returned to the Patriots? Sounds like the NFL is just sweeping this under the rug.

I'm A "Champion"

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Of course they want to sweep this under the rug. Do you really think they want to expose how deep this really goes?

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

I honestly feel they should have sent a representative unannounced to view other tapes to see how long this has been going on because I doubt this is the first time they pulled this stunt.

2nd String
    the nfl has 2 sets of rules one 4 the players an one 4 the teams it's not fair roger rabbit u dick head

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    "League policies on in-game videotaping and audio communication will continue to be closely monitored and strictly enforced with all 32 teams."
    That's a bunch of horse crap right there. If they call that pitiful excuse of a punishment as strictly enforcing the rules then what's the point of even doing it, it's a total joke. They'd have been better off doing nothing then what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    That's a bunch of horse crap right there. If they call that pitiful excuse of a punishment as strictly enforcing the rules then what's the point of even doing it, it's a total joke. They'd have been better off doing nothing then what they did.
    I agree...they got a damn slap on the hand. I have heard a lot of rumors that this goes a lot deeper than just some video tapes and messing with the frequencies. I guess teams have caught them doing other stuff too. The NFL should have stepped up and really handed it to them like they do with the players.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Thread Information