Thread: Miller doesn't expect to lead team in receiving

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Miller doesn't expect to lead team in receiving

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06257/721677-66.stm

Thursday, September 14, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Heath Miller stands atop the leader board for the Steelers with 101 yards receiving. No tight end has led the Steelers in receiving yards for a season since Eric Green did so in 1993 and 1994. He does not expect it to happen this season, either.

"I don't think it's going to change much, I think we'll take the same approach," said the second-year player. "In cases like that, when teams are concerned bout Hines [Ward], maybe I'll pop up some more like last game."

Thursday night against Miami, Charlie Batch looked off Ward, who was double-covered, and threw a looping pass to Miller, who ran 87 yards down the right sideline for a touchdown. NBC-TV proclaimed it the longest touchdown catch by a tight end since the New York Jets' Richard Caster scored from 89 yards in 1974.

"I didn't know that," Miller said.

As a rookie, Miller was second on the team with 39 receptions to Ward's 69. Miller was third with 459 yards receiving and second with six touchdown catches. He's nearly one-fourth of the way to his total receiving yards last season after one game. He caught three passes against Miami.

Many who saw the 6-foot-5, 256-pounder run along the sideline were surprised at his speed.

"I was just running as fast as I could," said Miller, who claims not to know his 40 time. "I got a pretty good head start on those guys, so I'm sure that helped out a lot."

ASU 4 LIFE
    Heath miller is the man!!! good athlete and humble!! i love it!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Miller should be big for us this year. If the try and cover Ward and Wilson he has shown he can break one for us just as well. Hopefully they plan a few more plays to get him in on the action to take some heat off our WR's. That would really open up our offense.

I really like this guy, he came up big late in the season last year. I don't think he'll continue to have numbers like he did against Miami, but he's got to be accounted for by the defense. The scary thing...he's only gonna get better!

I see him getting about 700 yards and 9 scores this year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Having a big play TE really takes the pressure off Ben to be able to find that extra outlet when his WR's are covered. Heath will indeed be huge for us this year just like last. He's big, strong, fast, he can block, and he has great hands..a combination you don't find too much in the leage past the top 5 TE's in the league.

i really want to see more of miller at the goal line this year. i think he's going to be more of a factor in that situation than any of the backs we've been looking at.

Thread Information