Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holmes proving to be a threat in the passing game

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Holmes proving to be a threat in the passing game

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_528907.html

Santonio Holmes isn't even the fastest receiver on the Steelers.

But today, when the Steelers host the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field, it doesn't matter who runs a 4.3 for the stopwatch.

Holmes is playing football, not running track.

Holmes has game speed. Coming out of his breaks, he has sprinter's speed.

After two games, Holmes has five catches for a team-high 108 yards. His 21.6-yard average also leads the team and tops AFC receivers who have a minimum of five catches.

Three of his catches were on third down, good for a healthy 17.7 yard average.

"It probably is overrated," Holmes said about the speed vs. quickness debate. "I'm aggressive to the ball. That describes my speed. When the ball's in the air, I'm going to adjust my speed to get the ball."

In the first quarter of the season opener against Cleveland, Holmes sold the Browns on a corner route, then beat two defenders on a post in catching a 40-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Lightning struck twice in the first quarter.

On the Steelers' second series last week against Buffalo, Roethlisberger went deep again to Holmes, throwing into the teeth of double-team coverage but was intercepted.

Holmes can't wait to hook up with Roethlisberger on another long pass.

"We're not going to change what we do just because we threw an interception," Holmes said. "You've just got to make the play next time. We've got receivers capable of making plays."

Holmes is proving more than capable.

The 25th pick in the 2006 draft, Holmes was the best receiver on an Ohio State team featuring two other first-round picks, Ted Ginn Jr. and Anthony Gonzalez. Nineteen of Holmes' 53 catches his senior year were 20 yards or longer, and his 11 touchdown catches were the third-best single-season total in school history.

As a rookie, Holmes had 49 catches for 824 yards (16.8-yard average) and two touchdowns. His game-winning 67-yard touchdown catch against Cincinnst in overtime was the final play of the 2006 season.

He appears to be picking up where he left off.

"We need someone that's going to stretch the field -- myself, Nate (Washington) and Ced (Wilson)," Holmes said. "We've got a good possession receiver in Hines (Ward) who's going to get the first down and get the big catch we need. The more they can use me to stretch the field, the better it is for our offense."

Holmes will be going up against a pair of Pro Bowl cornerbacks today in Nate Clements and Walt Harris, who will match their experience against one of the league's up-and-coming receivers.

Clements, a free agent, is the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL.

"I have to bring my 'A' game," Holmes said. "Going up against a veteran who's been there, done that, he's going to look to take full advantage of a young guy. I've got to step up to the plate."

Santonio is getting better every single week. By the time this season is over he's going to have some great stats I think. He's really becoming a multi-dimensional threat for us.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I wanted him so bad before the 2006 draft and I was thrilled when the Steelers traded up to draft him....He hasn't let me down yet....I'm going to enjoy watching him grow as a player...

thank god were getting some football talk in here (lol)

holmes is a beast, im telling you hes gonna be great for us for a long time, hes very marvin harrison like in abilities

who is our fastest reciever? lol! i really did think it was santonio!!
    HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO STEELERS!! HERE WE GO!! PITTSBURGH'S GOIN TO THE SUPERBOWL!! We're gonna be the first to 6!!!

I think it's probably nate "fastest" But holmes is without a doubt the better WR,,,,,,,,
    I'm really liking what I've seen from him so far & like TG said every game he's getting better & better

wow! i didnt think nate was that fast!! i guess i need to get away from madden ratings huh? lol!! which ea always bitches us on speed!! they never give ANY of our players any speed credit!! hell the only player they give any credit is troy!!
    HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO STEELERS!! HERE WE GO!! PITTSBURGH'S GOIN TO THE SUPERBOWL!! We're gonna be the first to 6!!!

Actually i think i read Nate had the best times on the team, him or Ike i cant treally remember but they are 1and 2 i think!! Doesnt matter, like the article said, Holmes has football speed!!!

POKER LEGEND
    i would of thought willie reid was the fastest

no nate had the best camp timed sprint speed, nut the dude was fighting for a roster spot. Hes fast but Ike, holmes and parker are all faster

POKER LEGEND
    wow nate doesnt look that fast in the game thats shocking

Thread Information