Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A tough challenge ahead

Bookmark and Share

A tough challenge ahead

http://news.steelers.com/article/81857/

The Steelers will face a challenge this week when they host the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field on Sunday – a team they share a 2-0 record with.

Last week against St. Louis the 49ers sacked quarterback Marc Bulger six times and even though Bulger put up big numbers with 368 yards passing, it wasn’t enough.

Ben Roethlisberger is expecting the same kind of pressure this week.

“They did a lot of different things, the mixer is what we call it,” said Roethlisberger. “They’ve got a lot of guys moving around and doing different things, just trying to make plays and it seemed like they did a good job of that from the film that we watched.

“It’s going to be a big challenge for us and we all know that. We know how good their defense is and they don’t give up big plays. That’s kind of been our M.O. so far, so we’re going to have to be able to grind it out and run the ball and just take what they give us on defense. If that’s the short little passes that lead to the big one, then hopefully it does. We’re going to take what they give us and go from there.”

A week earlier against Arizona the 49ers intercepted Matt Leinart twice, sacked him once and held him to 102 yards passing.

“They’re an opportunistic defense,” said Roethlisberger. “They find ways to get the ball and create turnovers. They’re always moving around. They throw different looks at you and it’s not going to be easy.”

Head coach Mike Tomlin has been pleased with the play of his defense that has allowed only 10 points in two games, with the only touchdown coming in the third quarter against the Browns.

“They are playing the game together,” said Tomlin. “They are playing at a high level. They are playing with great energy and enthusiasm. That is a tribute to them. I think that Coach (Dick) LeBeau will tell you the same thing. Those guys take a great deal of pride in how they play. They care about one another and it shows. “

San Francisco head coach Mike Nolan might be facing the Steelers for the first time as a head coach, but he is familiar with them having faced the black and gold while the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens from 2002-2004, and their receivers coach in 2001.

“They’re a good football team. I’ve played them several times,” said Nolan. “They’ve got a great home crowd. Pittsburgh people are typically tough. Their football team is built that way. It’ll be a real challenge for us, but I’m looking forward to it. I’m excited about going back to play them. I’m sure they’re excited about us coming in, too.”

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel
    this should be a good game I do see us winning it but it will not be like the past 2 games where we knew who won by halftime.

What is going to hurt the 49ers is the fact they have no offense and there defense will be wore out by the Fourth Quarter.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm not worried...Bryant Young had 3 of their 7 sacks and he is a 100 years old...lol Now Manny Lawson is lost for the year......I don' think they will get much pressure on Ben.......I think our Oline will handle the Niners front 7 with no problem....

Didn't the Rams lose Orlando Pace also... or is he with someone else?

** UPDATE/EDIT **
    That is correct... the Rams had lost Pace before the niner game and he is on IR. They need to put an * next to those sacks the niners got against the Rams
    Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 09-20-2007 at 04:35 PM.

this is not a challenge lol, its mediocre team #3

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Didn't the Rams lose Orlando Pace also... or is he with someone else?
    yep pace is out

My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    this is not a challenge lol, its mediocre team #3
    i agree this gave will be a little tougher than the first two but i don't see us having a problem with the 49ers!

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    San Fran has a football team?

Quote Originally Posted by BR7 View Post
    San Fran has a football team?

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

49'ers 28
    steelers 10

Thread Information