Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin turns The Wizard loose

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin turns The Wizard loose

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07263...?cmpid=HBEHTML
    Bill Cowher auctioned off some personal possessions when he quit as Steelers coach and left town for Raleigh, N.C.

One thing he apparently took with him was the leash he held on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

The Steelers' defense, still conducted by LeBeau under new coach Mike Tomlin, is performing more exotic maneuvers than ever, players say. And they say there is one reason for it -- LeBeau has more freedom under Tomlin to do what he wants than he did under Cowher.

"I think he does way more than he did [before], actually," safety Troy Polamalu said. "I don't think they've put any reins on coach LeBeau from what I know of. I think from the past, I think now he probably has more control of the defense."

Players and coaches, on and off the record, say LeBeau has the freedom to call what he wants, when he wants under Tomlin, a freedom he did not previously have under Cowher.

"I do, I do," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "I think he's getting to call whatever he wants, and the call is sticking."

So is his defense. After two games, the Steelers rank third overall in yards allowed -- fifth against the run, third against the pass -- and they are No. 1 in points allowed and first downs allowed.

They also have 10 sacks and rank second in the NFL in sacks per passing play. That gives them a jump on blowing past their 2006 season total of 39, which tied for third-fewest under Cowher.

The Steelers long had a dominant defense during Cowher's 15-year reign, so whether he held more control over what LeBeau did or not may not matter to the bottom line. But there's no denying LeBeau has more freedom to call what he wants this season than he did before.

Part of the reason for the increase in sacks, players say, is the movement of the defenders. LeBeau has players running all over the place, more so than before.

"Yeah, I think we're a lot more active," Polamalu said. "We're not as conservative. We're kind of initiating what the offense needs to do and not reacting to what they are doing."

No one jumped around from place to place more often than Polamalu in previous seasons; now, he's not the only one doing it.

"I think it means more running around for everybody," Polamalu said. "Guys are moving around more, we have new packages. Guys are feeling a lot more comfortable with everything."

LeBeau was unavailable for comment yesterday, but Polamalu suggested one big reason for the freedom his coordinator has this year:

"New coach, I would think."

Among the differences on defense this season are the rotation of the defensive line, the use of Keisel in different spots, a true four-man line of down linemen on occasion, cornerbacks playing safety and safeties playing cornerback, and the movement of various players as Polamalu suggested. For example, one of Clark Haggans' two sacks came in Cleveland when the left outside linebacker lined up on the right side and rushed from there.

"I wouldn't say it's a lot of different things," linebacker James Harrison said, "just putting people in different places than where they were before, moving them around and not seeing the same guy come every time."

That's reflected in the sack total, too. Nine players share the 10 sacks, led by Haggans' two.

"I think everybody's expected to be a pass rusher," Polamalu said.

Linebacker Larry Foote, like most starters, has one sack.

"The first game, a lot of guys were coming free, a lot of schemes were getting to him," Foote said. "But last week, the DBs were doing an excellent job. I remember the one I had, he tried to throw the ball, check down, and Deshea [Townsend] jumped the receiver, so he had to hold it and I got the sack. The DBs are doing a great job back there."

Foote also figures LeBeau has more freedom to run his 3-4 defense, but also received different input from Tomlin, whose previous experience was coaching a 4-3 defense with a cover-2 philosophy.

"I don't really know if coach Cowher used to hold him back like people said, but you never know," Foote said. "This is his defense, and Tomlin's never really been in the 3-4 fire zone defense, so I'm quite sure it's LeBeau's show. He put new wrinkles in that Tomlin helped him [with]. They're both defensive guys so they're putting stuff together.

"Dick LeBeau's the wizard of defense, everybody knows that."

And now, apparently, a wizard unleashed.
    So far after 2 games, Blitzburgh is definiately back ! I like how we're getting after the passer, clogging the running lanes and making the WR's work for and pay for every catch they make in traffic.

Reading stuff like this pisses me off to because it's yet another thing that has come out after BC has been gone; where it appears that we could have been much more than what we were before. I was one of the biggest Cowher supporters you'll find. I liked his attitude, the jaw, and his whole demeanor as being a fiery coach but as the years went on it was more and more evident that it was time and now we're finding out just what our potential could very well be. The sky is the limit for this team and Im excited to be a long for the ride !

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    So far this year we are ranked in the top 5 in total D (3), aginst the pass (3) and against the run (5) and we've only allowed 10 points so far this season. Granted it has been agaist the shitstains and a emotionally drained Bills team but thats what really counts, we are dominating lesser teams with a vengeance. The real test comes against quality teams, then we will see what we are really made of. So far so good.
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 09-20-2007 at 09:50 AM.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

[QUOTE=DIESELMAN;145582]So far this year we are ranked in the top 5 in total D (3), aginst the pass (3) and against the run (5) and we've only allowed 10 points so far this season. Granted it has been agaist the shiatstains and a emotionally drained Bills team but thats what really coounts, we are dominating lesser teams with a vengeance. The real test comes against quality teams, then we will see what we are really made of. So far so good. [/QUOTE]

"Commitment to the team - there is no such thing as in-between, you are either in or you're out."-Pat Riley

Our D looks pretty damn good right now. I don't have any complaints. I like that Tomlin is giving LeBeau the freedom to make the calls and not turning this into a control thing.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

When you have the proclaimed "Wizard of defense" why would you want to put a leash on him especially when his defenses schemes work! LeBeau may have just turned 70 but he's definitely showing that the older you get the wiser you get too!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    When you have the proclaimed "Wizard of defense" why would you want to put a leash on him especially when his defenses schemes work! LeBeau may have just turned 70 but he's definitely showing that the older you get the wiser you get too!
    BC was on a power trip...we all know that. Atleast this position hasn't gone to Tomlin's head...and he is letting the coordinators do their job!

Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    BC was on a power trip...we all know that. Atleast this position hasn't gone to Tomlin's head...and he is letting the coordinators do their job!
    That's gotta be hard for Tomlin to do also with him having the defensive mind set as well. It looks like it's working though!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    That's gotta be hard for Tomlin to do also with him having the defensive mind set as well. It looks like it's working though!
    I'm sure it's tough but he realizes the bigger picture...his job is to coach the entire team, so he has to step back, do his job, and let the other coaches do theirs. Personally, I think it makes him a bigger man than BC ever was. I'm sure he has worked with LeBeau to put some of his own ideas in there though! He did mention in an interview that he missed coaching a small group of guys, but he sees the bigger picture and that's what makes me love this guy!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    ... I'm sure he has worked with LeBeau to put some of his own ideas in there though! He did mention in an interview that he missed coaching a small group of guys, but he sees the bigger picture and that's what makes me love this guy!

Exactly. Two defensive minds working TOGETHER--as opposed to the way BC was apparently handling it. Each man isn't trying to go for all the glory themselves--it's more of a "team" effort.

Bill wanted too much control--it's becoming more evident with every passing statement from the guys on the team.

Thread Information