Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh leads nation in female NFL fans

Bookmark and Share

Pittsburgh leads nation in female NFL fans

source

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
    September 12, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have known for years their fan base included countless women -- that was evidenced by all the pink official team jerseys they sell and the hundreds who attend their female training camp each summer.

Yes, more than 300 women spend money each year to go through a simulated day of Steelers training camp, replete with blocking and running drills and a trip to the training table. The club also sponsors a Football Knowledge for Women classroom-type course.

Now the Steelers have proof that, when it comes to building a female fan base, Pittsburgh does it better than any other NFL market.

According to a Scarborough Sports Marketing survey of 220,354 residents in 75 United States markets conducted last year, Pittsburgh has, by far, the largest base of NFL fans who are women.

Pittsburgh is the runaway leader, with 34 percent of the women living in the Steelers' market identifying themselves as fans. Green Bay was second with 29.4 percent, but no other market surveyed had even one-quarter of its women identify themselves as fans.

Buffalo was third with 23.7 percent, followed by Cincinnati (22.8 percent), Kansas City (22.4 percent), Jacksonville (21.7 percent), Baltimore and Boston (21.5 percent) and Denver, Tampa-St. Petersburg and Washington, D.C. (20.9 percent).

Nationally, the average was 16 percent, which means that Pittsburgh has more than twice the number of female pro football fans than the average market, based on the survey's results.

Obviously, all those Terrible Towels inside Heinz Field aren't being twirled only by men.

Among men, Pittsburgh was second only to Green Bay in the percentage of fans -- 38 percent of the men in Green Bay identified themselves as fans, compared to 35.1 percent in Pittsburgh. Also in the top 10 were Jacksonville (34.9 percent), Boston and Denver (33.3); Buffalo, Indianapolis, Kansas City and Philadelphia (32.1) and Cincinnati (31.5).

Pittsburgh also placed in the Top 10 in percentage of fans who are college graduates (No. 4, 17.5 percent), percentage of fans with at least one child in the family (No. 6, 23.8 percent) and percentage of fans who are between the ages of 18 and 24 (No. 7, 7.2 percent).

The results were not surprising, at least given the long-standing loyalty of Steelers fans -- the team has sold out every non-strike home game since 1972.

According to a survey also taken by Scarborough Sports Marketing before the February 2006 Super Bowl in which the Steelers beat Seattle 21-10, Pittsburgh was the top market for fan loyalty in the NFL, with 64 percent of all consumers saying they were "very or somewhat interested" in the NFL.

This really doesn't surprise me - look how many great Steeler fan ladies we have on this site alone. On a personal note - it makes it a whole lot more enjoyable for me when I can enjoy football with a lady who knows what and who she is talking about (if she's even talking at all, because she's watching the game, dammit!!)

As if it isn't obvious - The Steelers have the greatest fan base and fans in the NFL!! We're smart (see college grads above), loyal (above), and diverse.

Thanks to BR7 for the sig

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's because of all us "hot" guys that are Steeler fans.......lol They just can't resist!

The women around here are overweight and the black jerseys make them look skinny, thats why women are buying them.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Doesn't surprise me one bit, I see countless females wearing Steeler shirts, jackets, jersey's, you name it ! Many of them are just as fanatical and passionate as the guys, and some more so ! The Steeler Nation has the best fans in the world hands down !

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    I noticed this poll was based on the "Steeler's market". I wonder how much territory it covers? If they didn't go outside of Western PA then you know those percentages will be much higher.....probably for the men too!

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    It's because of all us "hot" guys that are Steeler fans.......lol They just can't resist!
    I would never use "hot and guys" in the same sentence!!!!!!!!

I have more female Steelers fans at my house on game day, than males. So it does not surprise me. maybe women are smarter than men??? not the blonde ones though

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Quote Originally Posted by MotoF150 View Post
    The women around here are overweight and the black jerseys make them look skinny, thats why women are buying them.

Ah...real intelligent response. Asshat...
    "Commitment to the team - there is no such thing as in-between, you are either in or you're out."-Pat Riley

My Mood
    Chatty
    Of course we do!!! But I was surprised to see Green Bay has the most fans that are men!! Come on boys step up and start recruiting!! JK!!

The Steeler bar I go to in Tampa is FULL of Steeler fans that are girls!! Ratio is close, women to men. It's cool!!!
    Last edited by TampaSteelGirl; 09-13-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    Of course we do!!! But I was surprised to see Green Bay has the most fans that are men!! Come on boys step up and start recruiting!! JK!!

The Steeler bar I go to in Tampa is FULL of Steeler fans that are girls!! Ratio is close, women to men. It's cool!!!
    green bay may have more fans in green bay but the steeler nation is world wide!! no matter where you go you see black and gold!

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    I hope there not basing it on how many pink jerseys are sold, because Psychoward still has a pink Kordell Jersey
    Last edited by Stairwayto7; 09-13-2007 at 02:16 PM.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Thread Information