Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jacobs released..Davenport to get some work on MNF

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Jacobs released..Davenport to get some work on MNF

Looks like Omar couldn't make the cut to even last the first 2 weeks of the season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721355-66.stm

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers gave up on rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs when they released him from their practice squad yesterday.

The team drafted Jacobs in the fifth round from Bowling Green University, where he passed for 6,938 yards. He had every chance to win the No. 3 job behind Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch and failed to do so.

The Steelers contacted the agent for quarterback Brian St. Pierre even before Roethlisberger's Sept. 3 appendectomy with the idea he would become the No. 3 quarterback. St. Pierre served as the backup for the opener Thursday and Jacobs remained on the practice squad.

Coach Bill Cowher said he has no plans to make any moves to his 53-man roster this week, which means St. Pierre will remain on it for at least one more game. It's possible he could go onto the practice squad after that.

The Steelers signed receiver Walter Young back to their practice squad to replace Jacobs. Young spent the past two seasons on their practice squad.

Davenport fits in

Veteran halfback Najeh Davenport, signed on Friday, will get a chance to play Monday night in Jacksonville.

"We will see what he is able to pick up and how comfortable he is," Cowher said. "I think he is a proven big back and I think we are looking for that."

The Steelers would like to find someone to take some carries off the shoulders of starter Willie Parker and also to use around the goal line. Davenport, 27, is 6 feet 1, 247 pounds.

"I have watched him run; I think he fits what we are looking for," Cowher said. "He is a young guy. He could also play some in the kicking game. He has played third down, he has played fullback. I think he gives you a lot of versatility.

"I think he is the one guy that was out there that fits what we were looking for at this point, with the makeup of our roster."

Parker ran 29 times, the most in his brief pro career, against Miami Thursday night and Cowher does not want to give his 5-10, 209-pound back a steady diet of that.

"It's not so much the size, it's the size as it relates to 16 games and wanting to have him fresh," Cowher said. "I don't want to give Willie 30 carries a game, every game. The fact that we're running the football means we have to utilize our other guys."

Parker carried 255 times last season for 1,202 yards, adding another 57 carries for 225 yards in the postseason.

Sorry to see Jacobs go, Hopefully he'll be back. I've been saying it picking up Davenport reminds me of another back another team gave up on and he came to town and did great... JEROME BETTIS.
    while I'm not saying he will do as well I think he can really help us out!!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Addicted
    I was hoping Jacobs could be become a good backup for us. Maybe he will be back.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i couldn't work in a nfl front office....i'd feel to bad cutting players lol.....ah well not like he was gonna ever amount to anything with us....maybe he'll get picked up and get a real chance
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

That's surprising to see Jacobs go, I figured the Steelers thought they had the best shot at turning Jacobs into a respectable backup QB, but he must not be all there to get cut from the practice squad!

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Najeh, he's got a clean slate now and can wash away his past and hopefully become something with the Steelers. I'm pulling for this guy and I hope he does well and can give Willile big breathers late in the game(s).

House of Steel
    I am also pulling for Najeh, I got him on my fantasy team so he better produce.

I don't get why they cut Jacobs. All he did was complete his passes, lead good drives, an score touchdowns during the preseason. I thought he was good, but I guess they don't like his mechanics (which in my opinion doesn't matter as long as he can get the ball where he wants it)
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    ppl should stop bringing up his "past" it was in college never in the nfl....kids make mistake in college all the time......davenport will be good for willie parker
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Not stunned by the loss of Jacobs now that St. Pierre is here. I'm very curious to see Davenport because I've heard all kinds of reviews ranging from "He'll be amazing" to "He was a waste to pick up". I hope he's follows the first statement.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

House of Steel
    I think he is going to be a huge benefit for us, Davenport better live up to that expectation. I hope he becomes a bruising back to relief Willie Parker. I like the looks of this. They can't cut Duce cause we are going to be reliable for his salary anyhow, cut or not. That makes me mad!!!

Thread Information