My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin pleased to be a mere subplot

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_526594.html

By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, September 9, 2007

CLEVELAND

Mike Tomlin left town with a souvenir, but he did so grudgingly.

"They gave me a game ball in there," Tomlin admitted after exiting the visiting locker room following the Steelers' oh-so-easy, 34-7 victory Sunday afternoon at Cleveland Browns Stadium. "I tried to give it to (defensive coordinator) Dick LeBeau for his birthday, but he wouldn't take it.

"I guess I'm taking it home."

LeBeau turned 70 yesterday and left with a new Rolex watch, which was presented to him by the defensive players.

There was also an acknowledgement of the occasion scribbled onto the greaseboard in the Steelers' locker room: "Happy Birthday Coach Dad, The Next 70 Will Be Even Better."

Tomlin, thus, found himself upstaged by a coach who's twice his age.

There was no Gatorade shower at the end, no carrying Tomlin off the field.

That's the way Tomlin had wanted it all along.

"This isn't my story," he said.

Any emotions the Steelers' first-year head coach might have been feeling relative to his leading a team for the first time in a game that counts will remain private.

That's how Tomlin intends to handle himself while running the Steelers.

He wasn't about to alter his approach after beating Cleveland.

"I don't play the game, I manage it," Tomlin said. "In order to do that, you have to have a little clarity of thought."

Lest you think he's just being coy for the media, consider the observation of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who maintained that as far as Tomlin is concerned, what you see is what you get.

"He doesn't really get rah-rah, spitting, throwing stuff, all that," Roethlisberger said. "He's pretty calm and cool.

"He's that way on the sideline, which is great. He's calm when he's talking to you. You don't have to worry about getting yelled at or spit on, or stuff thrown at you."

Nice to see that former head coach Bill Cowher, while gone, hasn't been forgotten.

As for Tomlin, he let his guard down -- briefly -- only after his postgame media session.

In the visiting locker room and in the presence of Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and Steelers president Art Rooney, Tomlin beamed momentarily while shaking hands and accepting congratulations.

"We're plus-.500 in the series," Tomlin said.

They are, having improved to 56-55 all-time against the Browns, including postseason meetings.

They're likely to be two games over .500 after this season's rematch Nov. 11, and should continue to build on their series lead.

The Browns are in such a state of disarray that it's apparently going to take a team more capable of offering a legitimate challenge to get Tomlin's blood boiling and his emotions flowing, at least to the point where they're detectable to the outside observer.

In that respect, Tomlin's debut game really was business as usual, not that the man who hired him had any doubts.

"Honestly, I had total confidence in him and he came through," Dan Rooney said. "He did just what I expected him to do. He handled it so well.

"He just handles things as they come up. He does what he has to do."
    Im just not used to this ! I mean damn where is the spit, the "let's go" , the "comon wtf" , the rah rah cheering guy who's face got red every time we made a mistake? This is going to take some getting used too seeing us have a coach who is so calm and cool on the sideline. It's a nice change IMO.

Still though, I don't care what anyone says, Tomlin had to be happy and smiling inside when we won this game regardless of who it was or how well we did.....even just a little bit knowing that we came out and dominated and got him his first win as an NFL head coach

Tomlin is a very calm cool and collected dude! I looked over to my buddy today and said "You know, Tomlin looks to cool to get a gatorade bath!" I really like this guy and I think he'll be around for a long time... I'm looking forward to see how gets this team prepared every week though, that will be the ultimate test.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I notice that also....
    The camera's never really focas on Omar as much as they would have Cowher. (because He would have always been on the side lines flying off the Handle.)

Nice thing what the team did for Dick in buying him that rolex that was a gift. As far as that ball thing, he probably looked at that like "what the f*uck I got plenty of those, I'm twice your age kid, you take it."
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Addicted
    I watched the post game interviews. Tomlin said this isn't about me, its about the Steelers.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Smokin
    Yeah it will take some getting used to...But so far it is a nice change...

Thanks for the sig Flea

Draft Pick
    oh, I think we'll get to see the dark side of Tomlin at some point!! In the mean time, I think the players are really falling hook, line and sinker for their new coach. I've worked for doctors that are like Cowher and I've worked for doctors that are like Tomlin. Nobody wants to let the Tomlins down....it makes you feel real crappy. Even worse than being spit on.

By mid season, these guys will be moving heaven and earth for Tomlin. Probably before that. The Rooney's have another winner.

Born in Steeler Country......Living in WhoDeyLand

Reppin' 724
    I do like to see a little emotion out of my coach. But if his approach gets the job done, more power to him. I'm liking in it so far.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    Mad Man Mike is a bad dude.............the more I hear about him the more I like him

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I like Coach Tomlin and I have supported him from the jump.....But my final and judgment for him will be AFC Title games......I don't want no more 2-4 record in AFC title games....lol

But really its still way to early to make any kind of call on how good a HC Mike Tomlin is.......So far I have been happy and he has impressed.......I'm very excited about this new era.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    I do like to see a little emotion out of my coach. But if his approach gets the job done, more power to him. I'm liking in it so far.
    Yeah I know what you mean but atleast once I want to see some spit flying !

Thread Information