Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on the offense

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Some thoughts on the offense

This offense is more different than we might all realize. Sure we're still going to run the ball but the entire outlook
    of how we go about our business on each series is different. Multiple TE sets, no FB or a FB that's split out as a WR,
    Ben having more options at his disposal in the passing game and more control over the game plan in general, multiple WR
    sets on 1st down, etc.

When you don't have a traditional FB in the offense you take away a safety valve blocker for the QB as well, Ben is used
    to having Dan there to help block in certain situations so that's a difference too. Davis isn't your traditional
    powerhouse FB like Kreider so hopefully we'll continue to see Dan dress for game days because short yardage and grinding the game
    out situations is where we still need him regardless of what new style of offense we're using now. Davis will make his presence felt and he just needs time to get experience
    but for now Dan is still an option we need to have at our disposal. He was in there on 4th quarter when we were
    running the clock out and his presence was key IMO on that long 8 minute drive.

The WR's need to quit dropping passes. Ben missed 9 in a row at one point and atleast 1/2 of those were drops. Holmes is just
    a freekin monster. You can tell he's been paying attention in the Hines Ward Blocking Class 101; did you see him lay that
    wicked block early in the 3rd quarter? Ward is Ward, the dude has renewed options in the game plan and he's the
    unquestioned leader on offense along with Ben. The TE's were used alot today, which is amazing in itself.

Having said all that, look at the stats today. Ben threw 4 TD's and used nearly every option available in spreading
    the ball around. Willie and Najeh both contributed HUGE for us in the ground game and we mounted an 8 minute drive in the 4th quarter to run out a big chunk of clock.

Don't give up on Arians yet...the offense he brings here is what they use in Indy and it works pretty darn well there. It showed today what it can do even amidst some of the miscues especially in the 2nd quarter.
    It's just going to take time and there will be some growing pains to live through but overall I think we're on the verge of something special if they players continue to learn and execute.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    TG while I agree with your assement. We need to see how it holds up against a real defense Baltimore, NE, SD, etc.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You're exactly right Philly...the Clowns defense is hardly stellar so how we do against the better defenses in the league and our own division will be the real test but atleast initial returns are positive for the most part. Again that stretch in the 2nd quarter was pretty inept but they recovered fortunately.

The defense was alittle tired in the 3rd because of being on the field so much int he 2nd quarter and early in the 3rd but then the offense got it back together they got some much needed rest.

arians ****ing sucks, how dare he come up with schemes that march us down the field consistantly and spread the ball out to WRs and RBS, he ****ing sucks....i hate it when we score points like a well oiled machine.

The blockers took a little bit to "get it" which made willie start out rough but once they got it, and understood the blocking assignments it was all over.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i don't remember driving consistently, that whole second quarter was a disaster, and if we played a team that is worth a damn it would've bit us in the ***.........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That 2nd quarter was flashbacks of 2006 for sure. I was worried a bit thinking we might have blown our load in the first and then it was going to be back to the same old same old from last year where we get a lead and then try and run out the clock. I was happy to see them recover and keep pouring on the points, that's a big key for us is stomping on their hearts early and making them 1 dimensional.

We can't have lapses though like the 2nd quarter against quality opponents so we still have stuff to work on.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    but the ****** thing was, they weren't trying to run out the clock, they were passing it seemed every down after willie ****ed up and fumbled, but everythign was incomplete
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    they suck and we will get killed by better D-lines because we suck.....
    Ben was rushed out of the pocket like 20 times and still, what was our WR able to show for it... Nothing
    RB can't catch the screen and O-line never gave Ben enough time to look down field
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    they suck and we will get killed by better D-lines because we suck.....
    Ben was rushed out of the pocket like 20 times and still, what was our WR able to show for it... Nothing
    RB can't catch the screen and O-line never gave Ben enough time to look down field
    dude, your analysis sucks ***....you just cant admit that we might be better than the 7-9 you predicted. we have a soft *** scedule to start things out, its a good time for minor problems to get worked out. The blocking for willie was awful in the second quarter but then the team clicked and they understood what was going on

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    dude, your analysis sucks ***....you just cant admit that we might be better than the 7-9 you predicted. we have a soft *** scedule to start things out, its a good time for minor problems to get worked out. The blocking for willie was awful in the second quarter but then the team clicked and they understood what was going on
    Dude you suck *** and maybe what im thinking is wrong... great, but you can't tell me that how we played today was great. ya it's the first game and players came around but our Oline left Ben open more than what anyone would disired.
    I'm just saying that Our OLine stinks and unless we can do better, Jax will beat us again.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information