Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trent Greene out 2 weeks...was the hit illegal?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Trent Greene out 2 weeks...was the hit illegal?

Most of us have seen the hit by now, it was pretty wicked. Trent had committed himself to sliding which means you have to back off if you're a defender. No late hit foul was called and the league hasn't said yet if they'll fine the Bengals player.

Question is, did the defender have time in your eyes to pull up or did he just go for the hit regardless? It's a close call because the defender was in the air at the time from what I saw.

From KFFL.

ESPNews reports Kansas City Chiefs QB Trent Green (head) underwent both an MRI and a CAT scan. Both results came back negative. Green, as reported, is expected to miss at least two weeks of action after being injured during Week 1.

House of Steel
    Man, that sucks, now I have to cut him off my fantasy team. Poor Dude. I think the NFL is investigating the tape and the hit. I think it will be bypassed as an accidental hit cause he didn't intend to hit Trent Green with a dirty hit, he was honest about it, I could tell in his interview.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im sure he wasn't out for blood or anything...even though the Bengals are always quick to blame us for any hit they can !

Still though once that defender saw Trent start to slide he could have atleast tried to make it look like he wanted to pull up.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Chiefs president Carl Peterson said that Green has a severe concussion, and is "extremely questionable" for this weekend's game at Denver. Peterson also said the team is not in the market for a quarterback.

Green was injured late in the third quarter of the Chiefs' 23-10 loss to the
    Bengals as he attempted a feet-first hook-slide. Cincinnati's Robert Geathers
    charged in and appeared to hit Green's head or chest with his shoulder,
    snapping his head back hard into the turf.

The shot caused even Geathers to pause. He stood on the Cincinnati sideline
    when play resumed 11 minutes later, re-entering the game a few plays later.

"It's an unfortunate situation and my prayers go out to his family and him and
    I hope he recovers," Geathers said. "We were just playing ball, flying around, and I know he understands that. He's played a long time." Golly, I do not recall the bengals being so understanding when Carson went down.
    Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis said later that he thought Kansas City wide
    receiver Eddie Kennison pushed Geathers into Green, who was trying to slide
    for safety after scrambling on a broken play near the Chiefs' sideline.

No penalty was called on the play, and while Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said it looked like a helmet-to-helmet shot from his vantage point a few yards away, he had been advised not to comment on the officials' call.

"I'm not going into 'He said' or what they should have done," Edwards said.

The hit was viewed as a cheap shot by many in the Kansas City locker room,
    including defensive end Tamba Hali, who said referee Larry Nemmers told him no penalty was called because Gathers was airborne and unable to stop himself.

"This league is supposed to protect the quarterback," said Hali, shaking his
    head. "The comment from the ref was he was in the air. You can't have
    helmet-to-helmet because you can't control yourself in the air. But at least a
    call should have been made."
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I tell ya, I just don't get Marvin Lewis anymore. He's just turned into a real *** ever since he became the bungals head coach. I used to respect him and thought he was a great guy but all he's done since he took that job was complain about the other team and blame everyone else !

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun
    I tell ya, I just don't get Marvin Lewis anymore. He's just turned into a real *** ever since he became the bungals head coach. I used to respect him and thought he was a great guy but all he's done since he took that job was complain about the other team and blame everyone else !
    You lay down with the dogs you gonna get fleas... he just turned into a Cincy fan!! THe hit was about as borderline as it gets..he was late sliding and it didn't look like he hit him that hard, more of a whiplash thing.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Addicted
    Glad it wasn't anything more serious. That hit was brutal.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't think he did it on purpose but still the rules are suppose to protect the Qb's. From that point of view I think a flag should have been thrown. I've seen flags thrown for far less than that.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    it was clean the dude was going fool speed, it's hard to stop his momentum......i feel bad for green though and the cheifs these next two weeks will be hell without him....and in the afc you can't afford to lose 3 games right off the bat

edit: nvm, they got denver next week and a bye so that's good and then they got san fran...they'll be fine i guess lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

IMO, I think both Green and the Bunghole you hit him could have avoided the whole thing. Had Green not taken the sissy way out by not sliding he couldn't have side stepped the out of control Palomalu wanne be tackler! Had the Bunghole had his head up rather than trying to kill somebody he could have let up when he saw Green start his slide. They are both at fault in book.

I just don't understand why the Bengal player isn't more apologetic like Kimo was... all he can say is "Hey I could of got hurt on that play too!" Yeah, because you did what my coaches called a helicopter and went in for the kill with your head down meaning you will probably end being air lifted to the ER because you can't feel your body!!!

Thread Information