Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Coaches will monitor wear on Parker

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470034.html

By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Willie Parker reported to Heinz Field for the 2006 NFL regular-season opener dressed more for his vacation than his vocation, right down to the shades he sported in the locker room.
    But Parker also showed up with a purpose.

"I looked in the closet and was like, 'Well, we play Miami, and I want to end up in Miami,'" he said. "So I put on my clothes like I was going to the beach.

"Everybody was like, 'Willie, we ain't in Miami.' I said, 'We're going to be there.'"

The Steelers took their first step toward Super Bowl XLI in February at Dolphins Stadium by beating the Miami Dolphins, 28-17, last Thursday night.

The win was inspiring for a number of reasons, from the Steelers' fourth-quarter rally to the relatively seamless fashion in which Charlie Batch replaced Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback.

Parker contributed 115 yards rushing, but it took him 29 carries, which concerned, as well as pleased, coach Bill Cowher.

"We'll need to make sure we monitor how much we're using this kid," Cowher said, "because he's not a big kid."

The Steelers entered the season with running backs Verron Haynes and Duce Staley, who made a brief appearance against Miami, on the roster. Fifth-year pro Najeh Davenport was added to the mix the day after the season opener.

"We're going to need Duce down the road," Cowher said prior to the acquisition of Davenport.

Parker, 5-foot-10 and 209 pounds, exudes confidence as a third-year pro, but even he isn't sure if he could absorb such a pounding on a regular basis.

"Every game?" Parker said. "I don't know, man."
    We're going to need every RB we have this year. We can't rely on just Willie to carry the ball 30 times a game week in and week out and expect him to be fresh in December and January when we need him even more. Verron will need to play a big role as will now Davenport. As for Duce at this point, maybe he becomes expendable if Davenport shows he can produce ?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    why does he keep saying that about duce...that's total b.s., i guess he don't want to hurt duce's feelings cause we do not need him and we will not use him, i wish i could collect free money like he does

also cowher needs to stop babying these players.....he moniters ben, and now willie....wtf let them play....when you worry to much that's when bad **** happens
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    Because Willie is a small guy that can get worn down by the end of the year. We need another "big" back to take some pressure off him. That and it also gives the D a change of pace. We keep mixing them up and the D gets worn out before any of our RB's do.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    wasn't emmitt smith a small back??? it don't matter your size, he has the talent and strenght to hold up, just let him play
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think Emmitt was a little bigger than Parker. I would be happy to see him get up into the 215-220 range. That is where Smith was most of his career.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We're not gonna be able to pack on much more onto Parkers frame or he'll lose his biggest asset, that sub 4.3 speed. Smith wasn't a small back but he wasn't a Bettis size either but towards the end of his career he got worn down alot from the repeated pounding, especially once the cowboys OL started to deterioate with age and FA.

I do agree though that Cowher does seem to have a soft spot for Duce, but business is business. If Davenport starts carrying the load then unfortunately Duce becomes expendable IMO.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well Parker will wear down faster than Emmitt being how small he is. I don't want that. We need another back (big) to help take some of the load off. Parkers will lose his speed as he gets older. The only thing that will help him is to have a "Bus" type back to save him the hits.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan
    Because Willie is a small guy that can get worn down by the end of the year. We need another "big" back to take some pressure off him. That and it also gives the D a change of pace. We keep mixing them up and the D gets worn out before any of our RB's do.
    For almost a decade Warrick Dunn has gotten alot of touches a game and he is 180lbs soak'en wet.
    Tiki Barber is the same weight as Willie and he pounds the rock, 20-30 times weather it's rushes or reception.
    I'm tired of everybody, right down to the coaches, cutting Willie short.This is something other backs his size have been doing without any problems.
    If anything the lack of play time in college, I feel, is a plus for Willie's body with all the pounding that he missed.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal
    For almost a decade Warrick Dunn has gotten alot of touches a game and he is 180lbs soak'en wet.
    Tiki Barber is the same weight as Willie and he pounds the rock, 20-30 times weather it's rushes or reception.
    I'm tired of everybody, right down to the coaches, cutting Willie short.This is something other backs his size have been doing without any problems.
    If anything the lack of play time in college, I feel, is a plus for Willie's body with all the pounding that he missed.

The reason why they don't talk about Tiki getting injured is because he keeps himself in PHENOMENAL shape year round - he has a Jerry Rice type work ethic. Plus, Tiki has displayed durability throughout his career, which I believe is now in its 9th or 10th year. He's got a proven track record of being able to carry the load. The questions that are being asked of Parker now WERE being asked about Tiki early in his career.

Willie Parker is off to a great start, but until he can do it over time,
    that question will remain.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerlyn
    Willie Parker is off to a great start, but until he can do it over time,
    that question will remain.
    With Bettis retired, Parker will now get that chance and I hope he makes the best of it and proves his doubters wrong. (incuding coaches)
    Willie is great with the screen passes and I've also seen him hold his own in blitze blocking protection and I feel that he can be a weapon if they kept him in on third downs.

Thread Information