Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst draft pick ever ?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Worst draft pick ever ?

I was just thinking earlier today for some odd reason, what were some of the worst draft picks in the Cowher era. Looking back on draft day and saying to yourself, what in the world were they thinking...or maybe they had alot of promise coming out of college but just never panned out.

Here's a couple of mine that come to mind...

Troy Edwards..he was a reach to begin with but the front office was so intent on getting a WR that year it wasn't even funny.

Scott Shields.. supposed to be a big, fast safety that could take on the big RB's in the middle and still run with the WR's and TE's down the field...yeah he was a huge flop.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Shields was just plain bad! That would have to be one of the worst easily. Even worse than Edwards.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Every offensive (take the word literally,if you will) tackle drafted other than Smith and Starks (with the jury still out on Essex and Colon). Kris Farris being a prime example. Danny Farmer. Any time the team openly admits they made a mistake and shouldn't have drafted someone almost before camp even opens is not a good sign. If we don't see big improvement this year, Colclough is going to be added to the list. Hank Poteat was a third round cornerback that couldn't cover anyone, but stuck around as a special teams guy. I don't really want third round picks used on special teams guys. Given the circumstances, I still contend Antwaan Randle El belongs on the list. When given the chance to be a starting receiver, he produces 35 catches and one touchdown. Meanwhile, Antonio Bryant caught over 1000 yards and something like nine touchdowns with a very bad team, and was available when we drafted El. El was a good returner and a nice guy to have for trick plays, but not worth a second round pick.
    Alonzo was a #2 that didn't seem to translate into a OLB on draft day. Maybe a guy who was worth a shot much later in the draft. This pick may have been a blessing as in the post-zo era, the personnel dept guys seemed to have a greater say. Maybe that's perception, maybe that's a sneaky observation, I'll never say. Oops.

Shields was a perfect safety. Big and fast. He only had two problems. He couldn't cover and couldn't (wouldn't?) tackle. But he could kick.
    Watching Adam Archuleta for the skins last night....well, nevermind.

I'll take some time and come up with some less easy picks. This is something that before today I really never thought of, great question, Top Gun!~

Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Alonzo Jackson(2nd rd.) is right there with Scott Shields.

House of Steel
    I hated that pick too, Sal.

Troy Edwards, of course, would be on the top of every fan's mind when it comes to bad picks. I know this is going to rub some people the wrong way, Plaxico Burress was another one that really eats my skin as a bad pick.

Scott Shields, that is number one in my book. 1997-1999 we really screwed up, Will Blackwell (1997), Jeremy Staat (1998) That was just plain awful.

Jamain Stephens (1996), the OT they picked to replace Leon Searcy, He was so out of shape he collapse at training camp the one year, he hardly ever played, after that collapse he was cut.

John Reinstra (1986)--this guy couldn't do **** and cause the Steelers to flop in the late 80s, I remember he couldn't do a damn thing to help us if we lit a fire in his ***.

Huey Richardson (1991)- I think this ranks with Shield, absolutely the worse in my opinion. Star at Florida and only played in 5 games that season and then was cut, never came back to play in the NFL. He was a complete bust.

Tim Worley and Tom Ricketts (1989)-- Worley was absolutely a bust as a running back kept constantly fumbling the darn ball. Ricketts was a Pittsburgh Panthers but ultimately was a huge bust. Surprisely enough, the Steelers even went to the playoffs that year.

That is my two cents.
    Last edited by House of Steel; 09-12-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Fred Gibson

I'll raise some eye brows with my pick... but when you look at the other players who were available at the time you might see where I'm coming from...

Plaxico Burress! Yes I know he brought a lot to the Steelers and did some really good things, but it is ironic the year after he is gone the Steelers win the SB. Other picks taken after Buress, in the first round was:

• Brian Urlacher
    • Julian Peterson
    • Shaun Alexander

Granted the FO doesn't have a crystal ball so they can't predict how these palyers will turn out, but the dude had an attitude and the bottom line is he's not with the Steelers anymore.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    I'll raise some eye brows with my pick... but when you look at the other players who were available at the time you might see where I'm coming from...

Plaxico Burress! Yes I know he brought a lot to the Steelers and did some really good things, but it is ironic the year after he is gone the Steelers win the SB. Other picks taken after Buress, in the first round was:

• Brian Urlacher
    • Julian Peterson
    • Shaun Alexander

Granted the FO doesn't have a crystal ball so they can't predict how these palyers will turn out, but the dude had an attitude and the bottom line is he's not with the Steelers anymore.
    Brian Urlacher
    Julian Peterson
    Shaun Alexander

AZ, allgreat players you listed but #1, Bettis was still running strong for us, #2, Our LB's have always been deep, for less $$, #3, with our 3-4 defense, Peterson would have been moved to LB which brings us back to #2.
    And as for Plex, we needed a WR real bad and like this season we picked one up in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal
    Brian Urlacher
    Julian Peterson
    Shaun Alexander

AZ, allgreat players you listed but #1, Bettis was still running strong for us, #2, Our LB's have always been deep, for less $$, #3, with our 3-4 defense, Peterson would have been moved to LB which brings us back to #2.
    And as for Plex, we needed a WR real bad and like this season we picked one up in the first round.
    All valid poitns Sal, but when you you look at it Plax never really fit in with the Steeler team... he always seemd like a Rebel and was drawing to much attention to himself and thought he was better than the other receivers on the team. Plus with Alexander, the Bus was going strong at the time but the Steelers never start a rookie any ways, and by the time Alexander would have been ready the Bus would have been ready for his backup goal line role.

But again these arguments are really pointless because if we had known back then what we know today the whole draft would have been different, which reminds me... I need to work on my Delorean

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    All valid poitns Sal, but when you you look at it Plax never really fit in with the Steeler team... he always seemd like a Rebel and was drawing to much attention to himself and thought he was better than the other receivers on the team. Plus with Alexander, the Bus was going strong at the time but the Steelers never start a rookie any ways, and by the time Alexander would have been ready the Bus would have been ready for his backup goal line role.

But again these arguments are really pointless because if we had known back then what we know today the whole draft would have been different, which reminds me... I need to work on my Delorean
    Heck the year we drafted Eric Green we switched spots with Dallas, in the 1st rd., and they drafted a bust by the name of Emmitt Smith.

Thread Information