Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Worst draft pick ever ?

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #11
    OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    SteelerSal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Meade County Kentucky
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    I'll raise some eye brows with my pick... but when you look at the other players who were available at the time you might see where I'm coming from...

    Plaxico Burress! Yes I know he brought a lot to the Steelers and did some really good things, but it is ironic the year after he is gone the Steelers win the SB. Other picks taken after Buress, in the first round was:

    • Brian Urlacher
    • Julian Peterson
    • Shaun Alexander


    Granted the FO doesn't have a crystal ball so they can't predict how these palyers will turn out, but the dude had an attitude and the bottom line is he's not with the Steelers anymore.
    Brian Urlacher
    Julian Peterson
    Shaun Alexander

    AZ, allgreat players you listed but #1, Bettis was still running strong for us, #2, Our LB's have always been deep, for less $$, #3, with our 3-4 defense, Peterson would have been moved to LB which brings us back to #2.
    And as for Plex, we needed a WR real bad and like this season we picked one up in the first round.

  2. #12
    AZ_Steeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    19,358
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal
    Brian Urlacher
    Julian Peterson
    Shaun Alexander

    AZ, allgreat players you listed but #1, Bettis was still running strong for us, #2, Our LB's have always been deep, for less $$, #3, with our 3-4 defense, Peterson would have been moved to LB which brings us back to #2.
    And as for Plex, we needed a WR real bad and like this season we picked one up in the first round.
    All valid poitns Sal, but when you you look at it Plax never really fit in with the Steeler team... he always seemd like a Rebel and was drawing to much attention to himself and thought he was better than the other receivers on the team. Plus with Alexander, the Bus was going strong at the time but the Steelers never start a rookie any ways, and by the time Alexander would have been ready the Bus would have been ready for his backup goal line role.

    But again these arguments are really pointless because if we had known back then what we know today the whole draft would have been different, which reminds me... I need to work on my Delorean

  3. #13
    OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    SteelerSal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Meade County Kentucky
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    All valid poitns Sal, but when you you look at it Plax never really fit in with the Steeler team... he always seemd like a Rebel and was drawing to much attention to himself and thought he was better than the other receivers on the team. Plus with Alexander, the Bus was going strong at the time but the Steelers never start a rookie any ways, and by the time Alexander would have been ready the Bus would have been ready for his backup goal line role.

    But again these arguments are really pointless because if we had known back then what we know today the whole draft would have been different, which reminds me... I need to work on my Delorean
    Heck the year we drafted Eric Green we switched spots with Dallas, in the 1st rd., and they drafted a bust by the name of Emmitt Smith.

  4. #14
    Living Legend Steelersfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,116
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal
    Heck the year we drafted Eric Green we switched spots with Dallas, in the 1st rd., and they drafted a bust by the name of Emmitt Smith.
    Alright, now that's a bad move on our part. Who did we have running for us back then, Hoge?

  5. #15
    House of Steel
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal
    Heck the year we drafted Eric Green we switched spots with Dallas, in the 1st rd., and they drafted a bust by the name of Emmitt Smith.
    I remember that. I wonder if the Steelers regret that as much as they regret passing up Dan Marino in 84.

  6. #16
    OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    SteelerSal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Meade County Kentucky
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan
    Alright, now that's a bad move on our part. Who did we have running for us back then, Hoge?
    I loved Hoge but not for an every down back. He was the prototype lunchpale type player I love to watch.

  7. #17
    AZ_Steeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    19,358
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel
    I remember that. I wonder if the Steelers regret that as much as they regret passing up Dan Marino in 84.
    What about Unitas who was drafted by the Steelers but never played a down and was cut before the season started

    There are so many that list goes on and on, but I do believe the topic was worst draft pick ever and we are all getting off topic.

  8. #18
    Living Legend Steelersfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,116
    My Mood
    Addicted
    You are bringing back some memories now. Didn't we also have Bubby Brister at QB then too? Right after Malone?

  9. #19
    Living Legend Steelersfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,116
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    What about Unitas who was drafted by the Steelers but never played a down and was cut before the season started

    There are so many that list goes on and on, but I do believe the topic was worst draft pick ever and we are all getting off topic.
    That one would be right up there AZ. I was trying to think of that just a minute ago and you beat me to it.

  10. #20
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Mark Malone, oh you mean Tom Selleck !

    Eric Greene could have been the best TE in the league and if he applied himself who knows how far he could have gone. The guy had tremendous size, good hands, and good speed. I remember when we drafted him I was so excited to see that big guy come to the black n gold ! Then he turned out to just be yet another player to fade away.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Steelers’ strange ‘07 draft, and what it means for ‘08
    By Stlrs4Life in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
  2. NFL.com Mock
    By kgreen in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
  3. Yahoo! AFC Draft Grades
    By Hburg in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
  4. Another mock draft by Todd McShay of scout.inc
    By BlackGold4vr in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •