Thread: Roethlisberger hoping his hard work pays off...

Bookmark and Share

Roethlisberger hoping his hard work pays off...

Roethlisberger hoping his hard work pays off
    Thursday, September 6, 2007
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

A year ago Ben Roethlisberger was preparing for the start of the football season in a much different role than he is today.

At that point he was just a spectator on the sidelines after undergoing an emergency laparoscopic appendectomy.

What a difference a year makes. As the Steelers prepare for their 2007 opener, Roethlisberger is feeling fine physically and has confidence in his ability and that of his teammates to operate the offense installed by new coordinator Bruce Arians.

Roethlisberger spent a considerable amount of time during the off-season working with Arians and feels like it's going to pay off.

"I feel lot healthier, working out lot earlier than I did last year and having contributions to the offense and talking to Bruce and working with him," said Roethlisberger. "I feel lot more confident in this offense and where we are as a team."

"I feel I know more what guys are doing, I'm able to kind of get guys in positions even in no-huddle call offenses and call the plays and stuff. I definitely feel better out there. I think the guys feel more comfortable with me now more than ever."

Roethlisberger spent noticeably more time at the team's practice facility this off-season than he did in his previous two off-seasons with the team. As the season gets ready to begin, he was even in watching film on Tuesday of this week, the players' only day off, trying to get an extra edge.

"I worked harder because of the way I thought I played last year and let the guys down," said Roethlisberger. "I didn't want that to happen again. Whether it was working out earlier or being here longer or spending more time up in the meeting room with Bruce, whatever it was, I just felt like I had to put in a lot of extra work."

And now he is ready for that hard work to pay off. He is pumped for Sunday's game in Cleveland, ready to get the regular season underway after a long preseason.

"We were all talking about the last few weeks dragging and we came in today and everyone is alive again," said Roethlisberger. "That's because the season is here. We all feel the excitement and energy. Not that the preseason doesn't mean anything, but it's good to have a meaningful game."

http://news.steelers.com/article/81110/

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

he really has been working hard and protecting the ball well, adam schefter had a nice piece on him about his turnovers during ota'a, camp and preseason being way down, really just that one against philly that made us cringe lol

Rookie Free Agent
    I can't believe how much Big Ben is disrespected in the media for being a game manager...How can they forget Bens record as a starter not to mention the amazing run we had to the Super Bowl on the road in Bens second year.. Ben makes Plays bottom line the guy deserves respect and I hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder from now on

Reppin' 724
    You mean his hard work on his golf game this year right? He put in more time on the "semi-celebrity" circuit than he did with a football and recievers.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    You mean his hard work on his golf game this year right? He put in more time on the "semi-celebrity" circuit than he did with a football and recievers.
    and you know this how??? or are you just hating and thinking that's all he does??
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by JB 67 View Post
    I can't believe how much Big Ben is disrespected in the media for being a game manager...How can they forget Bens record as a starter not to mention the amazing run we had to the Super Bowl on the road in Bens second year.. Ben makes Plays bottom line the guy deserves respect and I hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder from now on
    Word Up, Dude!

The guy is something special. Has all the tools
    I hope he is a Steeler for a long time
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Thats why Coach Tomlin the other day in his press conference stated on the Steelers off day that Ben was there early studying film on his off day.....Plus he was still there when Tomlin started his press conference....

I think you should just wait until this year pans out before you knock Ben...Sure he missed some throws during the pre-season and I even stated that in the Eagles game...But most of that was just working out kinks which the pre-season is for....

If Ben has a lights out year don't jump back on the Big Ben bandwagon...lol

Gold Standard

His work with Bruce Arians on developing the new offense, work in the film room, and his work with his receivers in the OTA's has been well documented. Not to mention that many of Pittsburgh's sports writers who have been critical of Ben in the past have been saying throughout training camp that Ben has looked awesome. Is Ben ever going to be a Peyton Manning? Probably not. But last I checked they are both proud owners of a championship ring. Ben was a huge part of that championship run. His game against the Colts is why Peyton doesn't have 2 rings. After suffering many years through a lot of horrible and mediocre quarterbacks from the likes of Bubby Brister, Mark Malone, Mike Tomszak, Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Cliff Stoudt. How can you possibly complain about Ben? Even if we never win another championship with Ben at quarterback, he still will have equalled the # of championships that Cincinnati, Cleveland and Baltimore have put together. He's young and he's getting better, give him a chance. Last year was a nightmare for Ben and he is eager to prove it was the exception and not the rule. I believe he will lead the team back to the playoffs this year. Give the guy a break!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Tailgate Coordinator
    Well Ben, I hope so to!

I'm A "Champion"

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    and you know this how??? or are you just hating and thinking that's all he does??
    There's a website link (I can't find it right now, but when I do I will edit and post it) from www.mondesishouse.com of some chick that follows Ben everywhere he goes. Pretty much all off-season his *** was doing some lame-*** celebrity golf tourney, or some Maxim type party. You wanna do that, thats fine, but when the season comes around, don't talk about how "hard" he has been working in the off-season. He put in a little bit of time, but not the amount that he probably should have IMO. You guys want to anoint him *** some God of QB's when, as I have said before, he is barely a top 10 QB.

Give the guy a break!
    I'm willin to give the guy a break, and I really do wanna believe lasst year was the exception. I want to see the Ben who was a system QB. Thats what we need, not some "gunslinger". Willie rushed for over 1600 yards last year, and no one was afraid of our passing game. We are still a running team, and Arians will see that eventually I think.

Do I think Ben can throw for 3000 yards and 23 TD's with maybe 10 INTs every year, absolutely. Thats what I want to see from him. I personally don't think we need him to even attempt to light it up. Just look at charlie batch's record when he starts for Ben. 3-0 I think. He didn't have great statistical games, b/c we don't need that from out QB. Ben has never been great statistcally, b/c he has never had to be.

He played GREAT in 3 games (really just one) in the 05 playoffs. But 3 games does not make a QB. The team has carried Ben since he became QB. I hope he can carry the team, b/c soon Hines will be gone and we will need an offensive leader. But until then, Ben is going to be nothing but a system QB.

But as I have said before I hope I'm wrong. I know all of you will jump all ovee me b/c I'm talking "****" on Ben, but all of you seem to forget this is a TEAM, and Ben is not good enough to carry a team yet, the team has been good enough to carry him, I hope he changes this year, and the "work" he put into the off-season pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post

If Ben has a lights out year don't jump back on the Big Ben bandwagon...lol
    I was never on the Ben bandwagon lol. But I reserve every right to hop on it if he does well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    let me add to this too.

There are things I love about Ben, and things that he is great at. I love the fact that he is tough as nails, he gets up from some big hits. I also love watching him when the pocket collapses. He makes some great plays.

Just figured I would throw that out there, so you guys don't think I completley hate him. I just don't think he is God.
    Last edited by TEEMONT; 09-06-2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thread Information