Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Nate Washington getting comfortable

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470033.html

By John Grupp
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006

By most accounts, Nate Washington's final home college football game at tiny Tiffin University drew about 350 fans.
    It was Oct. 30, 2004, and Tiffin beat Walsh that day.

So it's understandable the former undrafted free agent felt rewarded when he ran onto the field in front of the third-largest crowd in Heinz Field history before the Steelers' 28-17 season-opening victory against the Miami Dolphins.

"I felt good," he said. "You come out and you work so hard and you know there are people behind you."

In front of a national television audience and a Terrible Towel-waving crowd, Washington may have arrived as a key part of the Steelers' receiving game.

The second-year wide receiver made a leaping catch for a 27-yard touchdown to give the Steelers a 7-0 lead. It was Washington's first NFL regular-season reception and first touchdown.

Washington also made big plays on a pair of third-down conversions -- a 5-yard reception on a third-and-two to midfield and an 8-yard end-around on third-and-six to the Miami 13. The drive ended with Charlie Batch's fumbled snap at the Dolphins' 1, but Washington proved his versatility.

He finished with two receptions for 32 yards and one touchdown, and one carry for 8 yards.

"I'm getting more comfortable," Washington said. "I'm a lot more relaxed when they call my number."

After the game, Washington stood outside his locker with an ice wrap on his right knee, speaking to a group of reporters.

"I had an OK day," he said. "There are a couple of things that I definitely need to get better on during the season if I'm going to be an accountable guy. I did all right for my first regular-season game. But I definitely have a lot more to get better."

On his touchdown pass, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Washington used his 39-inch vertical leap to outjump 6-foot-1 Dolphins free safety Travares Tillman for a highlight-reel catch.

"Nate is a big guy, and I wanted to give him an opportunity," Batch said. "Nate always talks about how much of a vertical leap he has. I put it up there, and Nate made a great play."

Admittedly, Washington made a rookie mistake after the touchdown. He spiked the ball and ran toward his celebrating teammates. Somewhere along the way, the memento -- his first NFL touchdown ball -- was lost in the shuffle.

"I spiked it by accident, and I ran off the field and somebody asked 'Where's your ball?' Washington said. "I thought about it, and I went 'Oh, man.' I was so excited; it didn't even matter to me right then."
    I look for big things from this kid. He's got good size and speed and he's shown he's not afraid to go up and get the jump ball in traffic and lay it on the line for the team.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I really like this guy. I think he will be a very good WR for us down the road. I just hope he remembers who gave him the chance and doesn't ask for crazy money.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You mean you hope he doesnt turn into a Plax, right ! That boy still pisses me off to no end everytime I see him.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun
    You mean you hope he doesnt turn into a Plax, right ! That boy still pisses me off to no end everytime I see him.

EXACTLY! Plexiglass is a POS! Well, that's my opinion anyways....lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i just hope ppl don't start comparing holmes to troy edwards, because it isn't his fault he got drafted to a team with great depth at the wr spot, holmes made a nice *** catch too, and then would've caught another one if batch didn't pump fake and then throw it behind him lol......holmes, nate, and reid are the future of this team.....ward is getting old so i love this depth
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by koopa
    i just hope ppl don't start comparing holmes to troy edwards, because it isn't his fault he got drafted to a team with great depth at the wr spot, holmes made a nice *** catch too, and then would've caught another one if batch didn't pump fake and then throw it behind him lol......holmes, nate, and reid are the future of this team.....ward is getting old so i love this depth
    Troy had plenty of chances to show what he had and he never did. Even after he left the Steelers. He never lived up to the pick we gave him.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan
    Troy had plenty of chances to show what he had and he never did. Even after he left the Steelers. He never lived up to the pick we gave him.

i know, but i know ppl are gonna jump the gun and unfairly compare holmes to him because he doesn't get the big numbers his first year
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I won't be one of them. I want to see him get better as the year goes on. That shows me he is picking up the offense and should do even better next year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Troy got way to big for his own good. The only good thing I can remember him really doing is that punt return in the playoffs. Other than that he was all talk and underachieving, just like Plax.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Plax was actually a good player for us. He wasn't as good as he thought he was but he had some great years here. Plexiglass is a good name for him though. For every good game he had he made a stupid play or dropped too many passes.

Thread Information