Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Face it, Steelers mediocre

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Face it, Steelers mediocre

Steelers fans are to be commended for not accepting mediocrity.
    But they look kind of silly when they can't spot it.
    This year's model looks like an 8-8 team, and is closer to 6-10 than 10-6. Only a miraculous year by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could propel the Steelers into the playoffs.
    Don't rule that out. If Roethlisberger plumbs the versatility and unpredictability of his new offense while avoiding capital punishment at the hands of his line, great things are possible. If the Steelers fail, Roethlisberger will wake up with a headache most Mondays while absorbing an unfair share of the blame, but every quarterback signs that Faustian contract.
    Beyond Roethlisberger, the Steelers are average. That's a blasphemous thought in these parts. But in the land of the wild-eyed yinzer, the objective thinker rules.
    Consider this: How many Steelers starters are good enough to start for a legitimate postseason contender? How many Steelers defenders could start for, say, Baltimore?
    The Ravens would laugh at Clark Haggans and James Harrison.
    The Ravens would laugh at the Steelers cornerbacks.
    James Farrior, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith provide the only true quality on the Steelers defense. Brett Keisel may join that pack; he has the football sense and athletic ability to handle his expanded role.
    How many starters on the Steelers offense could start for Cincinnati? Hines Ward could be the third receiver. Maybe.
    Roethlisberger, Alan Faneca, Willie Parker and Marvel Smith are legit big-timers. Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller might be. Ward is a lot closer to the end of his prime than the beginning.
    It's a bit skewed to compare the Steelers to the best their division rivals have to offer while ignoring the worst of the Ravens and Bengals. Baltimore quarterback Steve McNair could easily jump back on the scrap heap, while Cincinnati's rotten defense doesn't have even a single playmaker.
    But it's difficult to imagine the Steelers outscoring Cincinnati, and equally difficult to imagine the Steelers scoring enough against Baltimore. The Steelers figure to again be brutalized two straight by the Ravens. Going 1-1 against Cincinnati seems possible only because the Bengals loathe prosperity.
    If the Steelers really see themselves as a Super Bowl contender not far removed from winning XL, hiring a rookie head coach from outside the organization was bad. Continuity from within would have been better.
    The Steelers' saving grace may be their undemanding early schedule.
    At Cleveland this coming Sunday, then Buffalo and San Francisco at home, at Arizona, then home against Seattle. If the Steelers get through that stretch 4-1 (or, speaking idealistically, 5-0), momentum has been built and wiggle room created.
    The schedule gets a lot harder. But if the Steelers begin 5-0, 10-6 and a playoff berth seems realistic. If the Steelers begin 3-2, that might seem OK but will actually be a deep hole.
    The Steelers will come up short at center, where behemoth foes will bully Sean Mahan physically. Tackle Willie Colon is unproven. Holmes and Miller must fulfill their promise. More important, each must be given ample chance to fulfill his promise.
    On defense, the outside linebackers are below average. The best cornerback won't be starting.
    It all adds up to mediocre. It all adds up to 8-8. Recognize, will you?
    Hated before we even get started but you got to admit, there's some truth to all this.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

as one that has never experienced mediocrity, i call hater on this guy

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Let me guess Mark Madden wrote that trash...lol Totally disagree with the Ravens and Bengals being so much better.....The Ravens lost Adalius Thomas...He was huge for their defense....Plus both McNair and Gay Ray are a year older....

As for the Bengals....The X Factor on their offense is lost for the first 8 games...Yes CJ and TJ are very good but having a 3rd WR like Henry creates so many mis matches for defenses and really makes that offense hard to stop....Plus the Bengals don't have a backup RB to Rudi...Their defense still blows...

I don't see the Steelers as a 12 win team right now...But they have enough talent to compete for the AFC North crown.....I see the North this year being won with 10 or 11 wins...

POKER LEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    Hated before we even get started but you got to admit, there's some truth to all this.
    whos the clown who wrote this shiat?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That article is complete **** ! Calling the Steelers players as not being able to start on the Ratbirds or Bungals is just plain nonsense. This jerkwad obviously knows nothing about our team and is only going by what the rest of the media says not diving into the team and doing his research.

the Bengals and rats would love to have any one of all those players on our roster. We've got a unit full of current and former pro bowlers and a squad with renewed life after becoming stagnant with a head coach in Cowher who's time to step down was overdue.

Are we perfect? Of course not, we've got question marks that need to be answered and only time will tell how we respond but I like the make up of this team and the potential we have.

This kinda crap just pisses me off to see them bash us like that...this chump acts like the Rats and Bungals are God's gift to the NFL. There's plenty of holes on the rats and bengals alike just as there is with any team but he obviously refuses to see this clearly. Well just keep over looking us you worthless POS cuz we're coming and we're taking back the AFCN !!!!

STEELERS MEDIOCRE!?!?!?
    I don't think so, moron that later!
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    You got a link on this BS? I'm optimistic every year no matter what kind of team we field. We have the talent on both sides of the ball, the thing about that is to gel and be playing as a team at the right time of year (every team, no matter how talented goes through this). The bigger question is this, how many Ratbirds and Bungholes are worthy to be a Steeler? Let me answer that....NONE, to be a Steeler takes more then talent, it takes heart and desire.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Yeah the ravens had a good D last year, and usually do.They have to, they generate no offensive points, and have historically no weapons. But let's be real. this is not last years Ravens D . Lewis is more cheerleader than physical leader these days, Suggs is a stud as is Scott, but are they better than Haggans , Farrior, and Foote. IMO No. After their first 3 it gets shallow. Secondary looks good on paper too, but I believe talentwise we man up with them.
    Which takes us to the offensive side of the ball: they have a peiced together O-line that has no depth, Mcnair is another year older and ticking, Kyle Billick-Boler ,he is like their Koy Detmer. Recievers? Mason, cmon . Our squad smokes these guys. And Hines being washed up? Please. Guy has more of a motor than most second year studs! Not one raven compares to Hines.
    Heap is a stud, But Miller , is not chopped liver. Guy has skills!! If he gets his chances, big things.
    Now for the BENGALS:
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Bleed Black And Gold SteelerNerd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBenGo View Post
    STEELERS MEDIOCRE!?!?!?
    I don't think so, moron that later!
    quoted for truth

Gold Standard
    I don't buy into any of that crap! I hope some of our Steelers read this article. We are easily one of the top ten teams in the league. The Bengirls still have one of the weakest defenses in the league and the Ravens have an offense that still struggles to score points. Coincident that we were one of only 2 teams in the league last year whose offense and defense BOTH ranked in the leagues top 10? Let them believe this ****. It will only make the person that wrote that seem all the more stupid!

I am not ready to reserve tickets in Arizona yet but we are a far better team than this clown gives us credit for. I will be shocked if we don't make the playoffs.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information