Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trent Greene out 2 weeks...was the hit illegal?

Bookmark and Share
    Here's the problem I have with the hit. The rules were changed so that when a QB hookslides (and this ONLY applies to the QB), the defenders are supposed to lay off him. This was done to protect the QB. If the QB hookslides and the defender hits him full bore, it actually makes the QB MORE susceptible to injury because he's laid out there completely exposed. The defender DID NOT PULL UP. He saw the hookslide and made absolutely no effort of any kind to alter his tackle. The only reason it wasn't helmet to helmet IMO was that he missed.

If the NFL is trying to protect their QB's, they need to protect their QB's, but let me ask you this. If that QB wasn't Trent Green, but was Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, do you think it's still a no-call?

House of Steel
    They would of flagged that idiot. Not only that, I am sure he would of been fined for that hit too. I see what your getting at, the NFL is bias, they want to protect the STAR STUDDED QB instead of the mediocre ones, that is wrong.

House of Steel

NFL Notebook: Bengals' Geathers won't be disciplined

NFL Notebook: Bengals' Geathers won't be disciplined
    Thursday, September 14, 2006

From wire dispatches

The NFL absolved Cincinnati defensive end Robert Geathers yesterday for his hit on Kansas City quarterback Trent Green, emphasizing quarterbacks are responsible for avoiding hits by sliding. Green sustained a serious concussion Sunday after a hit by Geathers and will miss at least two or three games.

"The injury ... was unfortunate and has drawn much commentary, but it is not a foul," Ray Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president, said in a statement.

Anderson said a review of the play in Kansas City showed Green started "a late slide" as Geathers prepared to tackle him. At the same time, Geathers was blocked in the back by a Chiefs player, was no longer in control of his body and twisted in order to avoid driving his helmet into Green or hitting him helmet-to-helmet.

In a memo sent to all 32 teams Anderson said: "On sliding quarterback plays, the responsibility of defenders is to avoid a sliding quarterback while the responsibility of the quarterback is to use the protection properly. This rule will continue to be strictly enforced, and violations are likely to result in disciplinary action."

Anderson said quarterbacks who want to take advantage of the protection of a slide must start it before the prospect of imminent contact. He cited a play in the Seattle-Detroit game as an example of an illegal hit.

In that case, Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck broke out of the pocket and began a slide. Lions rookie linebacker Ernie Sims, who had the opportunity to avoid contact, drove his helmet into Hasselbeck while another defender, Cory Redding, jumped over the quarterback.

Sims drew a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness. Anderson said the play is being reviewed for a possible fine.

This is what I have to say about this

Thread Information