Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Reid still bobbling opportunity

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers' Reid still bobbling opportunity

He recently talked about all that his prized first-round pick can do on a football field. But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin offered this caveat regarding Lawrence Timmons: what the former Florida State star did at "Tallahassee" doesn't mean much anymore.
    He might have delivered a similar message to wide receiver/kick returner Willie Reid on Tuesday morning.
    "I challenged him in front of his peers," Tomlin said.
    Reid couldn't get on the field last year because of a numbers crunch and an injury, and he won't stay on it this season if he doesn't start showing the stuff that made him one of the most dazzling return men in Florida State history.
    Tomlin said Reid will be back returning punts Thursday when the Steelers visit the Carolina Panthers for their final preseason game.
    That Tomlin publicly talked about calling out Reid, however, shows that he may be losing patience with the second-year pro.
    Reid, the only Florida State player aside from Deion Sanders to gain 1,000 career yards in punt returns, is averaging just 4.9 yards on eight punt returns during the preseason. In Sunday's 27-13 win over the Eagles he fumbled a punt deep in Steelers territory, though he did recover it.
    "I think I'm just too anxious to go out and make big plays," said Reid, a third-round pick of the Steelers in 2006. "Coaches have mentioned to me that I'm trying to hit the home run all the time instead of getting what I'm supposed to get and that will be it."
    It's understandable if Reid is a little overanxious.
    He didn't dress in the Steelers' first three games as a rookie last season since he was the odd man out at wide receiver. Against the San Diego Chargers, he left the game early after spraining his left foot while returning a kickoff.
    The injury, which was actually a mid-foot sprain, sidelined him for the rest of the season and even caused Reid to miss some of the Steelers' offseason practices.
    Reid emerged as one of the early stars of training camp, showing his toughness as a wide receiver and a burst that could be attributed to his foot being healed.
    So where, Steelers fans are asking, is the player who burned Penn State for 180 yards and a touchdown on punt returns in the 2006 Orange Bowl?
    "You never know when that play is going to come, and it usually comes when you least expect it, so I just think it's a matter of time," wide receiver Cedrick Wilson said. "You've got to be patient."
    Wilson replaced Reid as a punt returner after the latter fumbled against the Eagles early in the second quarter. Yet both Reid and Wilson said it had been determined before the game that Reid would give way to Wilson after fielding two punts.
    "My confidence is still high," Reid said. "I just had a couple of mistakes, and that's the whole story."
    The story could change if Reid struggles on returns Thursday.
    "We'll see what he brings," Tomlin said of the game against the Panthers, "but I expect him to bring it, because he's a competitor."
    Well i know that it came by surprise when We picked him, got use to having him. Had high hopes in keeping him, but Dude better start turning things around or he just might be getting his walking papers.

no were not giving up on him yet, i still think hes gonna come around...he needs one return, just one that will get his confidence up and i think he will be fine, muffing that punt last week was a little more damaging for his confience, he can be a terror and i expect him to come around, hopefully sooner rather than later

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    the dude is just way over thinking ****, he's afraid to **** up, cause ppl in pitt are *******s and will set his house on fire lol........he needs to just go out and play, cause when you worry about ****ing up, that's what usually happens you **** up..........

anyway, i think it's stupid not to use holmes, he has a full year of experince, and the last half of the season he was starting to get a hang of being a good return man in the nfl......... and it's not like not like he's the work horse wr that he wouldn't have energy to be a starter and the punt returner, ARE did it just fine his final year with the steelers
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

yeah but ARE was a #3 who didnt do **** on offense, holmes was getting the hang of it but we want him to be on the field all the time on offense now, we should just have gay do it, hes good at everything else lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He's driving me nuts, it's like Coc flashbacks all over again from 2006. Everytime I see him back there I get worried and sure enough he's delivered on the bobble or fumble almost every time he's gotten a chance to return a kick.

The dude can do it, Im sure of it other wise he wouldn't have lasted this long on the squad but he's got to relax and just play. You know his confidence has to be in question right now so he needs to get that under control and just play and have fun.

Between Gay, Baker ( if he makes the team) , Reid, and Wilson we outta be able to find somebody who can hold onto the damn ball.

im telling you, one missed tackle is all he needs, if he can break one, he will be fine

If he learns how to hold the ball and not fumble it away I think he'll be fine back there.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    yeah but ARE was a #3 who didnt do shiat on offense, holmes was getting the hang of it but we want him to be on the field all the time on offense now, we should just have gay do it, hes good at everything else lol
    ARE was the starter his final season here
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Tailgate Coordinator
    Well, let's be opimistic I guess.

I'm A "Champion"

I agree all it take is for him to take one to the house then we'll see what the comments look like. He show what he can do when he gets the ball secured. It's just like with Nate Washington dropping balls wasn't a problem until everyone made it one, then it sticks in your head that everytime you are thrown the ball u must catch it. That leads to trying too hard, which leads to more mistakes.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Thread Information