4 lbs flat cut corned beef brisket
1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout, draught
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 head cabbage, cut into wedges,rinsed and drained
6 medium white potatoes, peeled and quartered
1-2 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
1. Rinse corned beef under cold water, and pat dry.
2. In a Dutch oven, or other large pot with a cover, brown corned beef well on all sides over high heat.
3. Pour Guinness over the meat, and add enough water to just cover the brisket.
4. Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and pepper to the pot.
5. Bring pot to a boil and skim off any foam.
6. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 3 hours.
7. Add carrots, then potatoes and then the cabbage wedges to the pot.
8. Cover pot, and continue cooking until meat and vegetables are tender (about 20-30 minutes).
9. Remove meat and vegetables to warm serving platter/dishes, leaving the cooking liquid/sauce in the pot.
10. Over high heat, bring the cooking liquid to a boil, and cook until the amount of liquid is reduced by half (about 10 minutes).
11. Slice the corned beef; serve with the vegetables and the sauce on the side.
12. Note: Corned beef should always be sliced across the grain.