Thread: Steelers remember reactions to 9/11

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers remember reactions to 9/11

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06254/720871-66.stm

Monday, September 11, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Terror struck the Steelers deeply five years ago today, just as it did most Americans, and it changed the way they think, act and contemplate their future.

The Steelers have achieved uncommon success in the five years since terrorists rammed two commercial jetliners into the World Trade Center, another into the Pentagon and one far short of its intended target when a passenger uprising caused it to crash into a field in Somerset County. They've won a Super Bowl, and competed in three AFC championship games.

Coincidentally, the Steelers arrived on a chartered jet from Jacksonville the day before the terrorists attacked, having lost the opening game of the 2001 season to the Jaguars. They will prepare this week to fly to Jacksonville for their second game of the season a week from tonight.

Fullback Dan Kreider was in the training room receiving treatment for a calf injury when the news thundered through the team's UPMC training complex that Tuesday morning, an off day for the players. His thoughts were similar to many players who wandered in and out of the trainer's room that day.

"This is bigger than football," Kreider remembers thinking. "This is your country and people are dying."

Many Steelers weren't here yet, still playing in college, such as linebacker Larry Foote, a senior at Michigan then who remains affected by the events of 9/11 five years later.

Foote worries about the future.

"You know these days are coming to an end, I believe, just watching the news and what's going on. Stuff is just crazy. It's going to be a nasty place at any minute. With all these bombs and poverty going on, people are desperate and they're going to do crazy things."

At the University of Florida, Max Starks remembers precisely where he was when his mother called him with the news.

"I was in my dorm room, Hall 95, room 208. It was a Tuesday. I had a late class so I was sleeping in. About 10 o'clock, I got a phone call from my mom: Wake up, wake up, wake up. A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center."

Starks, drafted by the Steelers in 2004 and their starting right tackle, turned on his television.

"It was an eerie feeling. I thought of my freshman roommate, Carlos Perez, who was from Hoboken, N.J. His brother worked in the World Trade Center. The first thing I did was call Carlos. I said 'Carlos, is your brother OK?' He said 'I can't get through, the phones are jammed.' He was really worried.

"Then, I went to class and nobody could focus on class or anything, so the teachers let us out. We went down to the team meeting room and coach [Steve] Spurrier was talking to us about how we have to practice, just in case they still want us to play the game, but 'I don't think the game will be played just for security reasons.' But we need to go about our day, we can't let this mess us up.

"Right before practice, I got a call from Carlos. His brother was late that day for work and missed it by 15 minutes. That was a blessing. It hit that close to home."
    I still remember that , as we all do, like it was yesterday. It's amazing how many ties so many of us have to 9/11, be it family or friends or just because we are all americans !

My Mood
    Addicted
    I remember it like it was yesterday. I still have a ton of photos and stuff from when it happened.

That is one day that I will never forget! I was to be in Elizabeth NJ for a go-live of another system I had put in at Trinity Hospital, the go-live date was scheduled for 9/11/01, just the week before the date had been pushed out! I would have been right across the water from all of that... It's something that will be etched in our minds for ever!

Larry Foote nailed it IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foote
    You know these days are coming to an end, I believe, just watching the news and what's going on. Stuff is just crazy. It's going to be a nasty place at any minute. With all these bombs and poverty going on, people are desperate and they're going to do crazy things.
    I am a believer and the day there a peace agreement signed in the middle east, is the day everything sets itself in motion!

House of Steel
    I don't think I've ever cried so much on a day that reflected so much about our lives. We can't take anything for granted. It was a tragic day in the history of mankind. I am going to be very humble and probably in tears for this very day. I am still feeling hurt over it all.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I'm a truck driver and i remember being at Newark Airport in NJ picking up a load when that **** happened,Blow my mind.I know I will never forget that day. Sad, real sad
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Addicted
    That was a crazy day and I remember it very vividly as well. All we did in school was watch the news for like a week and a half. Everyone was in absolute shock. I never ever want to see something like that happen again. Was just horrible.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was working 2nd shift that day, so I woke up late and turned on the TV and every single channel had the events and commentary on. It was like a bad dream, or nightmare as it were. I went into work and we watched the news all day. I can still remember watching Fox News as they were commenting on the first plane that crashed and in the background you could see the 2nd plane crash into the other tower and nobody even realized it on the news until a few minutes after. What a terrible thing and so many lives lost. The daily way we live was changed in an instant, forever.

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    I kept a ton of stuff for my kids so when they get older they can see what happened in 2001. God bless america and the troops fighting for our freedom 5 years later.

Thread Information