Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sloppy play in week 1

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
    Any dissussion involving sloppy has got to include my Seahawks this week.

My biggest concerns after seeing and listening to most of the game with the Lions...
    1) The Lions got 5 sacks! We averaged less than 2 a game last year. We knew we could not replace Hutch, but we thought we could fill in the spot better than this. Maybe they just need more time...

2) 2 blocked field goals... See concern #1.

3) Alexander was held to 50 yards... See concern #1.

4) Regarding the O-Line, I almost puked when I heard Walter Jones went out with an ankle injury. He went back in the next series but looked a little gimpy. He is a lot of man to stand on a gimpy ankle. I don't like to think of what our chances would be with out him out there for most games. Hopefully his ankle heals up quickly.

The O-Line has got to pull it together if we are going to be a threat this year.

Things I am happy with...

1) Defense only allowed 6 points. Our linebackers were our biggest liability 3 seasons back. Now they look to be the the stongest corp of the team

2) Our kick return game looked solid. This was one of our biggest weaknesses last season. Looks like dumping Peter Warrick was a good move.

3) We ran 2 good 2 minute drills that resulted in scores with no time left. The most important of which was the final one to win the game. Some of you might remember the last Seahawk game where they uncharacteristically blew their managment of the 2 min drill...

4) Our backup runningback Maurice Morris had 23 yards on 3 carries. Its nice to know he's got some skills in case SA gets hurt.

5) Nate Burleson had only one catch but it was for 36 yards. He was brought in to be a deep threat, something lacking in our WRs. I expect to see more out him as he becomes more comfortable with our system.

So all in all, this game did not meet most of our hopes for how the Hawks would look starting out of the gate. But I have faith that SA will find his groove with a vengance and the O-Line is going to tighten things up. Its interesting to think that we may be transitioning from a team that wins by its offense to a team that wins by defense rapidly. But then again, its just the first week. And its easier for the defense to be playing well the first week than it is for the O.

Even though it looked ugly, I have to remind myself that there really isn't such thing as an ugly win when you are playing on the road in the NFL. I give credit to the Lions, their D looked much improved. But I also recognize that if the Seahawks don't step up their level of play they aren' going to be able to pull out many more victories like they did today....
    I've been waiting for you to post up your thoughts on the Seahawks. My biggest question was if the Lions defense had really improved that much? I never expected Alexander to be held in check and not find the endzone. Luckily this was the first week and Seatle didn't have a so called "tough" matchup, hopefully they can get things turned around before next week when they face a tougher Cardinals team. Although the Cardinals are in the same boat as Seatle... one sorry offensive line!

Wow, quite a few things I saw yesterday stand out:

My favorite is watching the Pats struggle. The media continues to nuthug the Pats, but it's basically over in NE. One QB, a decent defense and a good coach is NOT ENOUGH to win with. I may downgrade them to 8-8 after yesterday, because the Bills are still awful, and they almost beat the Pats at home.

The Dolphins win was bigger than we will get credit for. Why? First off, the Dolphins have a superb September record, and almost always get out of the gate fast, while the Steelers are generally slow starters. If we roll out of JAX with a win, we are in really good shape for this early in the year, especially considering how brutal our schedule will be.

I'm not sure how much credence I place on a few of yesterday's upsets. A few teams, like Carolina and Seattle are sure to rebound after a slow start, and some teams just overachieved, like the Baltirats. Things will start to shake out in a few weeks. I also think the Cinci win in KC wasn't as impressive as some would think. Palmer looked okay, but KC's defense is still only mediocre or slightly above, and the holes in their Oline are obvious.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is the time of year when everybody is referred to as a contender especially if you win you're first game in convincing fashion. Then by mid October to late October, the wannabe's are separated from the true contenders and things start to become alittle more clear.

I don't think the Cincy win was all that impressive either. The Chiefs are under a new coach right now and still feeling their way and then they lose Trent to injury. The Chiefs will rebound to atleast have a winning record this year. Everyone acts like beating the Bucs was some great accomplishment. Their defense is above average at best anymore and Chris Simms is still young. They're not a great running team even with Alstott back there either and their OL is average at best.

My Mood
    Addicted
    You'll see the Panthers bounce back when Smith is healthy. Their D played well considering the offense did nothing.
    Bengals got an easy win over a KC team that is still trying to figure things out.
    I still say the Falcons will be lucky to make the playoffs.
    Broncos are gonna be in trouble if Plummer keeps turning the ball over. They won last year because he didn't. Looks like he might be back to his old self.

Suitanim touched a good point, because I have always felt the Steelers come out of the gate a little slow then about the 3rd or 4th game they kick it in gear and then their off and running! All things considered the Steelers looked better than their norm of the past (the last couple of years they have looked good on opening day). Like suit said, a win in Jacksonville and the Steelers will be in awesome shape as long as it doesn't go to their heads, which I don't think Cowher will let happen.

Cinci wasn't impressive at all. They probably won't have a true test until they do play the Steelers in week 3. Carolina showed yesterday they are mediocre at best without Steve Smith. They are going to need both Smith and Johnson healthy to make it to the SB.

Broncos were horrible; this was the game I had to watch. IMO Plummer is terrified of Cutler taking his job because Cutler was very impressive in preseason. Yeah it was only preseason but you can't deny the numbers Cutler put. If Plummer continues down this path of his old self, look for Shanahan to yank him and go with Cutler!

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    Broncos were horrible; this was the game I had to watch. IMO Plummer is terrified of Cutler taking his job because Cutler was very impressive in preseason. Yeah it was only preseason but you can't deny the numbers Cutler put. If Plummer continues down this path of his old self, look for Shanahan to yank him and go with Cutler!

Cutler will be starting by week 5. He, IMO, was the best QB in this draft.

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal
    Cutler will be starting by week 5. He, IMO, was the best QB in this draft.
    I agree with that, Plummer blew up yesterday. That was an awful display he put on.

Thread Information