Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bettis Book Talks About Cowher, Pittsburgh Fans, Ex-Teammates

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Bettis Book Talks About Cowher, Pittsburgh Fans, Ex-Teammates

PITTSBURGH -- Former running back Jerome Bettis is no doubt one of the most popular Pittsburgh Steelers ever.
    Since retiring from the Black-and-Gold, "the Bus" opened a restaurant on the North Shore, took a national television sports gig and wrote a book.
    But within those pages lie some controversial comments about the Steelers, a former quarterback and Steelers fans.
    The book is a candid look at how Bettis believes the Steelers and the fans treated him.
    He also has some interesting things to say about how some of his former teammates were treated, specifically quarterback Kordell Stewart.
    The book is titled "The Bus: My Life In and Out of a Helmet," and one of the most startling revelations deals with a non-football event in Bettis' life: a chance to do the ABC show "Dancing With the Stars."
    "Before they asked Emmitt (Smith) to be on that show, they asked me," Bettis said in the book. "My agent, Lamont Smith, kept telling me the show is watched by 38 million people, but that was my point: I didn't want 38 million people watching me dance."
    On the field, Bettis felt Steelers coaches and management underestimated him during certain points in his career.
    About a 2005 loss in Jacksonville, where former head coach Bill Cowher said he forgot to put Bettis in the game on a crucial short-yardage situation, Bettis wrote, "Never in the 10 seasons I played for coach Cowher had I felt betrayed like this."
    In 2004, Bettis was a short-yardage back, scoring touchdowns mostly set up by former running back Duce Staley. After scoring two touchdowns at Heinz Field against the Cincinnati Bengals, Bettis said the fans' reaction hurt.
    "After I scored my second touchdown of the game, I started hearing boos," Bettis wrote. "It took a few moments, but then I realized Steelers fans at my home stadium were booing me for scoring a touchdown. I was so angry that you could have grilled a hamburger on my forehead."
    Bettis said he disagreed with Cowher on a number of occasions, but insists he never held a grudge. In fact, he said if he ever bought an NFL team, Cowher would be one of his first hires.
    He does, however, believe Cowher ruined Stewart's career and that the Steelers did not give the quarterback a chance to succeed.
    He points to 2002 when coaches pulled Stewart after three games in favor of Tommy Maddox, who had been out of the league for years and hadn't started an NFL game since 1992.
    Bettis said Stewart was set up for failure.
    "I think they pulled Kordell partly because they didn't want to pay him a big salary and signing bonus," Bettis wrote. "It was cheaper for them if he didn't have success. If he recovered and had a huge year, then the public sentiment would be, 'Hey, you've got to resign him for whatever it costs.' I'm telling you, it was a monetary decision. The Steelers had no interest in paying Kordell his market value."
    But at the time, in October 2002, Bettis was quoted in a Post-Gazette story saying, "It's one of those things, a coach has got to make a decision in the best interest of this football team. You have to do what you have to do."
    Look forward to reading
    Can't understand why the fans would be booing him for scoring TD's.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

As much as I would like to read this I don't think I will... I don't want to know about all the drama and crap that goes on behind the scenes. I feel better not knowing

I expect allusions to racist yinzers somewhere in this book. They give the entire city and the entire fan base a bad name, if you ask me. Yinzers are probably bitching about our "colored" head coach as we speak. **** them. The '70s ain't coming back, regardless of whether it's the team or the type of jobs found in the region. Get over it.

Thankfully, though, such mindsets are a dying breed in the region.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

Thought the "bus" was parked in the garage,,,,,,,,,,,,

I don't understand why he would want to bring this kind of attention to himself,,,,,,,

I sure disagree with this,,,,,,,,"I think they pulled Kordell partly because they didn't want to pay him a big salary and signing bonus," Bettis wrote. "It was cheaper for them if he didn't have success. If he recovered and had a huge year, then the public sentiment would be, 'Hey, you've got to resign him for whatever it costs.' I'm telling you, it was a monetary decision. The Steelers had no interest in paying Kordell his market value."

He sucked ,,,,, is why he failed in pittsburgh ! One of the biggest choking QB's in nfl history !

Kordell choked over & over again,,,,,,,,We all seen it for years

I think I'm gonna agree with AZ and not read this book and just remember what the bus done on the field ~~~~

Reppin' 724
    Thats a lot of hatin' for some haters....

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    well bettis does have to make money, and his book wouldn't sale if everything was positive, so of course he's gonna have to talk some **** and air out stuff that should stay in the locker room to get paid

and was he really getting booed??? is he sure they weren't saying buuuuuusssss?? lol.............. there is some sorry *** fans in Pitt though, so i wouldn't be surprised if he was getting booed for doing his job.......

and cowher probably did hold back stewart, he's hold back plenty of of players with potential

i also find it funny when tee calls out haters when he in fact is a hater himself
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Reppin' 724
    Or they could have been saying Duuuuuuuuuuuccceee

Anyways...who do I hate on? Besides Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    As much as I would like to read this I don't think I will... I don't want to know about all the drama and crap that goes on behind the scenes. I feel better not knowing

Same here, my friend.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    Or they could have been saying Duuuuuuuuuuuccceee

Anyways...who do I hate on? Besides Ben.
    read your little sub title thing......steelersfever.com hater........and it doesn't matter if you hate only on one person, once you hate, you're a hater lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

lol its a shame reading is against my better judgement 14/10 times

Thread Information