Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Position News

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

More Position News

PITTSBURGH – The starting fullback last Saturday in Washington was rookie Matt Spaeth.

Spaeth, of course, a tight end, and that coincides with the direction new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’s is taking his offense.

However, Spaeth is not the reason eight-year veteran Dan Kreider is in danger of losing his roster spot.

Instead, the player threatening Kreider’s job is Carey Davis.

A fullback who caught 114 passes in college, and who briefly held roster spots with Indianapolis and Atlanta, Davis has impressed the coaching staff with his running ability, special-teams play and most importantly his lead blocking. Team officials say he’s now No. 1 on the depth chart at the position.

If the 26-year-old Davis can lead first-team backs through the hole the way he’s led second-teamers, the Steelers may have one more fullback than they need.

FREE SAFETY EMERGING?

With two preseason games remaining, coaches don’t want to go on record with any official proclamations, but it appears Ryan Clark is in the process of nailing down the starting free safety position.

Clark has started two of the three preseason games, and could be in line for a third start Sunday night against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Tomlin called the position open, but said a frontrunner “is becoming crystal clear.”

Clark’s competition, Anthony Smith, did not play last week because of an abdominal injury.

I like Kreider but it does appear that his playing days with the Steelers might be coming to an end. Carey Davis is young, hungry and he is a fireplug! I like the move.

Ryan Clarke has been playing well and AS has been injured, so it hasn't been the competition that most of us had hoped for. Anthony Smith isn't going anywhere and even if he doesn't win a starting job you gotta believe he has a bright future ahead of him in black & gold.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

i like clark ok, but expect smith to get alot of time on defense regardless.

davis isnt that young btw, hes 26 lol....if hes playing better than kreider....so be it, i think davis and russel are both awesome

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'd hate to see Kreider go, he's been here for such a long time and is a good leader on this team. If it came down to Kreider and Davis, I like them both but I'd give the nod to Kreider if I could guarantee that we'd be able to resign him at an affordable price but since that's no guarantee it could mean Davis is the man.

Clark was a big FA signing last year so if he nails down the position it wouldn't be that much of a surprise. He's a damn good safety and has picked up defense pretty quickly. Smith will still get time but I was really hoping to see him get the nod because he's such a big hitter and real presence in the secondary.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Seeing Dan Kreider go would be hard. He has been one of those unsung heroes for the Steelers for a long time. But Carey Davis has been very impressive on ST, running back, and fullback.

26 is not old in the league, players should be coming into their on by 26 which it looks like Davis has.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

I personally would like to see Krieder go on his own terms because I would have to see a staple at FB get cut... especially by the Steelers. Hopefully if he is gone it's done in a respectful way...

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Man, I'm telling you, they want Kreider out of there because he White.lol
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    Man, I'm telling you, they want Kreider out of there because he White.lol
    lol

the way the article says "and most importantly, his lead blocking" you have to wonder that maybe he is a just a plain out vicious blocker, and with phasing the fullback out.......and his potential elsewhere.....it makes sense to me

Tailgate Coordinator
    Losing Kreider will be a HUGE mistake. I would let Haynes go first. We only have 1 true FB, and that is Kreider. Yeah, Arians will use different sets, but what about at the goal line? Davis can help himself to the PS. He hasn't seen real 1st string defenses yet. And hasn't pancaked Ray Lewis like Kreider did.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    race has nothing to do with it, it's not even funny to joke about it, who cares if he's white, black, asian, iraqi, or mexican?? all that matters is the skills

if the dude is being out played by a cheaper younger prospect then peace out

kreider is pretty one dimensional, just blocking, i'm sure he'd be good at other stuff, but since he was coached by cowher all of that is gone

davis has proven to be an effective runner, pass catcher, and blocker, i rather keep the more versatile player

and since change doesn't bother me, i wouldn't be upset one bit seeing a dude that's been around for such a long time, i'll wish him the best, but the full back position is a dying position he probably won't be doing much where ever he signs.........if he's cut

and i don't mind clark winning the starting job, he's a good player, and hits hard, anthony will get his time soon enough.........but damn it, i need a new sig now lol
    Last edited by Koopa; 08-21-2007 at 06:04 PM.
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information