Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vick accepts plea deal

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Horny

Vick accepts plea deal

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7132542

Michael Vick's lawyer said Monday the NFL star will plead guilty to federal dogfighting conspiracy charges, putting the Atlanta Falcons quarterback's career in jeopardy and leaving him subject to a possible prison term.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines most likely would call for less.
    "After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding the charges pending against him," lead defense attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter."

Vick's plea hearing will be Aug. 27, Martin said.

The news comes on the heels of two co-defendants pleading guilty earlier Friday and implicated Vick in bankrolling gambling on dogfights. One of them said the Atlanta Falcons quarterback helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well.

With his NFL career in jeopardy and a superseding indictment adding more charges in the works, that left Vick with a hard choice: Cutting his own deal to minimize jail time or go to trial and sit through detailed descriptions of the ghastly operation known as "Bad Newz Kennels."

Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach entered plea agreements and agreed to testify against Vick. A third member of the dogfighting ring, Tony Taylor, struck a similar deal last month.

Vick's lawyers had been negotiating with prosecutors. One of Vick's attorneys, Lawrence Woodward, attended the plea hearings of Peace and Phillips but declined to answer questions as he left the courthouse.

"Did you conspire with these folks to sponsor a dogfighting venture?" U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson asked Peace.

"Yes, sir," he replied.

As part of the plea agreements, Phillips and Peace signed statements that said Vick joined in executing at least eight dogs that didn't do well in test fights by various methods, including hanging and drowning.

"Peace, Phillips and Vick executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging and drowning. All three participated in executing the dogs. Peace agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts of Peace, Phillips and Vick," Peace's statement said.

Vick also posed for a photo with three co-defendants and a pit bull they were about to sponsor in a dogfight in North Carolina four years ago, according to Peace's statement of facts.

It was unclear whether prosecutors — or anyone — has a copy of that photo.

Phillips and Peace also backed up Taylor's assertion that Vick was involved in gambling.

"The 'Bad Newz Kennels' operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick," according to statements by the two men.

Those allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp but has withheld further action while the league conducts its own investigation. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league had no comment on the latest pleas.

Peace and Phillips pleaded guilty to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. Sentencing was set for Nov. 30.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The men will get credit for accepting responsibility and cooperating with the government but would be penalized for animal brutality.

Peace remains free until sentencing, but Hudson found that Phillips violated the terms of his release by failing a drug test and ordered him jailed.

About 30 animal-rights activists protested quietly outside the courthouse. Afterward, as police officers cleared the scene, protesters continued waving large pictures of a mutilated dog.

"This is one dogfighting ring that's been annihilated," said John Goodwin, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.

The four defendants all initially pleaded not guilty, and Vick issued a statement saying he looked forward to clearing his name.

The case began in April with a search of Vick's property in Surry County, a few miles from Vick's hometown of Newport News. Investigators seized dozens of pit bulls, some of them injured, and equipment typically used in dogfighting operations.

The four men were indicted July 17.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Goodbye Mike Vick........You can kiss your NFL career goodbye...lol Idiot....You just can't take the ghetto out of some people...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Vick knew his *** was in a sling and his lawyers knew it too. If word got out of what he really did according to everything else that could have and still might come out in that superseding indictment there was no way he was getting out of this one. The dude is in the national spotlight everytime he leaves his house, how in the hell did he ever think he'd get away with this !

What a stupid ***, I can't believe he's such an idiot, he deserves what he gets !
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-20-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Well at least Vick gets to try out the reciever position in prison now Micheal Vick meet Bubba. Bubba meet Micheal Vick

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Yes he does deserve what he gets.......Maybe the Arena League will take him after he serves his prison sentence....

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Yet another waste of talent, hard work, and sacrifice. It's amazing with all that they have, they don't recognize how blessed they are.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

statement

The National Football League has issued the following statement regarding Mike Vick:

"We are aware of Michael Vick's decision to enter a guilty plea to the federal charges against him and accept responsibility for his conduct. We totally condemn the conduct outlined in the charges, which is inconsistent with what Michael Vick previously told both our office and the Falcons. MICHEAL VICK IS DONE! YOU LIED TO LEAGUE SCUMBAG. CAREER OVER! We will conclude our own review under the league’s personal conduct policy as soon as possible. In the meantime, we have asked the Falcons to continue to refrain from taking action pending a decision by the commissioner."

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
    Yet another waste of talent, hard work, and sacrifice. It's amazing with all that they have, they don't recognize how blessed they are.
    Some people are to stupid to realize that they have a athletic gift and you can't fix stupid. What a loser!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You lie to the league, you lie to the public about how you had nothing to do with it just bend over Michael and get ready cuz it coming, you're career is done dude !

Vick isn't even a good Arena league prospect if you ask me. Those QB's there aren't running QB's like he is for the most part, they just fire the ball all day long for TD's

My Mood
    Addicted
    Bye Bye Vick! You're getting what you deserved.

Thread Information