Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers Offensive Line still in flux

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_523030.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, August 20, 2007

The players are near-unanimous in their desire for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin to settle on the starting five along the offensive line.

Of course, democracy has never flourished among football teams, and Tomlin has the only vote that counts.

So far, he's been tougher to budge than Casey Hampton on his stance that he's in no hurry to make a decision on who starts at center and right tackle.

He reiterated it after the Steelers' 12-10 win over the Washington Redskins on Saturday night, even though the offensive line turned in an uneven performance. That raised the question of how beneficial it would be for Tomlin to pick the five that must effectively function as one when they are on the field.

"They're going to be judged by their cumulative body of work, so we'll continue to watch," Tomlin said.

Tomlin only has two more preseason games in which to evaluate his players -- in this case, Chukky Okobi and Sean Mahan at center and Max Starks and Willie Colon at right tackle.

"Of course, I'd like to see (a decision made soon)," said Starks, who's trying to hold off Colon, "but you have to be an obedient player and wait for them to make their decision."

What has complicated the decision-making process is the shuffling the Steelers have done along the offensive line. Some of that has been a product of necessity.

Mahan didn't play in the first preseason game because of an excused absence, and Okobi has missed the past two games because of a rib injury. Starting left tackle Marvel Smith, meanwhile, didn't play Saturday night because of back spasms.

Trai Essex started in his place, and the Steelers had tried Starks at left tackle the previous two games, though he played exclusively at right tackle against the Redskins.

It's debatable whether injuries and experimentation have hindered the emergence of five clear-cut starters up front.

But it was clear Saturday that offensive line remains a work in progress.

The Steelers averaged just 3.2 yards per carry and couldn't get into the end zone, despite driving inside Washington's 5-yard line three times.

"Obviously, there have been some good things and a lot of things we need to work on," said Mahan, the team's only significant free-agent signing during the offseason. "It will be nice when we can kind of solidify the units.

"The more situations you see, the better. So, I'm sure it's something where everyone wants to see happen pretty quickly.

"You need to know what the guy next to you is doing and how he approaches it and how he blocks. There's a lot of communication, and when the bullets are flying, you've got to be able to communicate in a matter of seconds."

Mahan and Colon have started the past two games, but Tomlin doesn't appear ready to anoint them as first stringers -- or go with Okobi and Starks, the players who are still listed first on the depth chart at their respective positions.

All he says now is to stay tuned.

"I think we're going to have cohesion even if we do allow this thing to play out," Tomlin said.
    We all know Faneca and Smith will anchor the left side but at this point that's all we know and that's a bit scary to know that none of the other 3 are stepping up to the point of nailing down a job. Colon seems to have a handle on the RT spot. Simmons will most likely keep that RG spot because Kemoeatu isn't doing enough and Mahan is still fighting it out at Center with Okobi.

All I know is Im glad it's still preseason because right now our OL sucks ***.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_523030.html

We all know Faneca and Smith will anchor the left side but at this point that's all we know and that's a bit scary to know that none of the other 3 are stepping up to the point of nailing down a job. Colon seems to have a handle on the RT spot. Simmons will most likely keep that RG spot because Kemoeatu isn't doing enough and Mahan is still fighting it out at Center with Okobi.

All I know is Im glad it's still preseason because right now our OL sucks ***.
    Hate to say it but I don't see it changing.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

The problem is the teams we play in this season are all licking their chops, knowing this line is weak as hell on the left. Ben will have a tough year if this crap isn't fixed ASAP.

I honestly don't see much of a diffrence this year from last, breakdowns all over the place....
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm going to reserve judgment till we start the regular season but it's not looking too promising. The main issue here is that all these guys that have been waiting their turn to get a chance to start: Essex, Kemoeatu, Okobi, and free agent Mahan are not stepping up and being account for.

Most of the guys on our OL have been on it for a few years atleast and haven't gotten a chance till now to really show what they can do. Flashes of greatness don't cut it on the OL, you've got to be consistent on every play of every game and right now there is no consistency.

The OL needs time to work together and gel and play with the first team; at this rate Tomlin isn't going to name a starting 5 until the last preseason game and by that time they'll only have a couple weeks before the season starts to get their act together.

Waterboy
    guys i have 2 say after watching that redskins game we have 2 do an better job of blocking, not only our offensive line but tight ends the tightends r not opening up holes, neither is ben making good decisions he should of threw the ball away instead of taking an sack, he's throwing n 2 double coverage alot n the red zone i'm starting 2 c what stan savran means i just hope we keep carey davis instead of danny boy, i have faith n my steelers but i hope we get these problems fix soon i also stand by my predicitons 12-4

Since the Steelers have 2 games left I think now is a better time than ever to ink in the starting 5 and let them starting working together as a unit. I understand trying guys at different spots but you gotta draw the line somewhere. They are all professionals but IMO it will be hard for them to flip a switch and work together as a unit... that is something that comes together after time!

It almost looked like Ben was a bit scared in the pocket, same look he had last year...He just looked off. My .02!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    It almost looked like Ben was a bit scared in the pocket, same look he had last year...He just looked off. My .02!!
    I would be scared if I had that OL in front of me also.

We do need to get this set in stone and let them work together to get better. I think there is no reason why we should get rid of Kreider. He is still one of the best at his position. I do think Willie needs a blocker (Kreider) sometimes, so I think there is no reason to get rid of him.

I guess the only thing that is good about not having the OL set is we have 5 preseason games...then our first regular season game is against the Browns. BUT it needs to be set...and set quick!!

"I would be scared if I had that OL in front of me also."

LOL, maybe your right. It'll be fixed I'm sure.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I don't know about Ben being scared, but i do know on Fast Willies first run he almost had about a 80 yard touchdown. The play was set up perfectly except Essex completely missed a block on the only man who could have made the tackle.......and he did. Essex is garbage.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Thread Information