Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The D -line

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

The D -line

I keep hoping we will someday find a stud Def End that can get to the Qb without us having to blitz and giving teams all day to throw if the blitz is picked up....Any word on that Mc Bean kid making the team ...I wish this team would address the Def-line earlier in the draft...

between casey, smith, and the deisel...we have one of the best 3-4 dlines you can ask for. Hoke is a nice backup too, but the group as a whole is very underrated. Mcbean sucks lol

I think we should keep McBean just based on his potential. Lets be realistic, Dick Lebeau can't be here forever, then we will be a 4-3 team again. I think mcbean is more of a 4-3 defensive end/tackle. Just look at the way Casey and Hoke are built. Remember our best years were when we played the Tampa 2/ 4-3 defense. That's one of the reasons I feel they brought in Mike Tomllin. I hate to so Dick go but he's in his 70's we only have a few years left with him.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

lebeau would play if he could, that dude will coach until he turns to dust, and the cover 2 is primitive compared to the 3-4

I think Lebeau should stay as long as he wants lol! he deserves that much. I think that the Steelers will be drafting towards defensive 4-3 players in the future. They locked up everyone that they felt they had to keep.

Unless Mike picks up on the 3-4 and let Lebeau teach him what made his defenses so great. Maybe then Mike will decide to stay with the 3-4 after Lebeau is gone. I want a Lebeau jersey anyone know where to get them?
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

tomlin is a defensive strategist, hes not 3-4 retarded...im sure he wont have a problem

Only Got one word to add to this thread,,,,,,,,,,,
    Well maybe two words~~~~

BLITZBURGH NATION

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    tomlin is a defensive strategist, hes not 3-4 retarded...im sure he wont have a problem
    @3-4 retarded

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We blitz by design, not because we have too. The 34 is a defense that's designed to use blitzing to get to the QB and to confuse the opposing offensive blocking schemes. Other teams blitz when they can't get to the QB,we blitz because we choose too. Our DL is the best 34 line in the league. Casey is pro bowler, so is Aaron Smith and Keisel is as versatile a guy as you'll find and could be a pro bowler as well. As Train mentioned Chris Hoke is a solid backup NT as well. I'd like to see McBean step up and be a contributor for us in the future because we need to have new fresh guys there as well in the mix for the backup jobs and future starting jobs.

I love the zone blitz and everything that goes along with it. Lebeau is the master of it and as long as he's coaching I hope we continue to run it. When the players do what their supposed too it's an absolute blistering defense and completely dominating. Once again though it's all predicated on the players and how well they perform the scheme designed by Lebeau.

Waterboy
    The 3-4 is designed to be somewhat of a wall in the center of the line. Our DEs are part of that wall. They basically control the run and maintain that wall disciplin.

DEs in a 4-3 apply blitzing pressure. In the 3-4 it's the OLBers.

OLBers is where we are weak.

Hopefully, Woodley and a "roving" Keisel can create a twist in our scheme and apply situational pressure on the QB.

This will give teams something else to focus on. Making LeBeaus' CB Blitz packages more effective along with distracting attention from Troy. Which frees him up to be more effective in his positioning for interceptions and sneak blitzes.

Thread Information