Thread: Nate Washington showing the NFL that he belongs

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Nate Washington showing the NFL that he belongs

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06253/720600-66.stm

Sunday, September 10, 2006

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With bright lights, a big football night, a national-television audience tuned in and a near-record number of Heinz Field patrons turned on, Nate Washington leaped high into the sky and came back down to earth with a touchdown. His first. His Super Bowl-winning team's first of the season. His first official catch in the NFL.

One problem, though.

He forgot the ball.

"I didn't really know how to celebrate," the Steelers' second-year receiver recalled later. "Actually, I didn't think anything of it, because I spiked it by accident.

"I ran off the field, and somebody said, 'Where's your ball at?' I thought about it, like, 'Oh, man ... ' "

This would explain why, around the midnight hour, Thursday night to Friday morning, Steelers field manager Rich Baker was leaning around a gaggle of media at Washington's locker and reassuring him: Don't worry, we got it.

Fear not for Washington. A former practice squad member, a player seemingly deemed expendable after his employers selected not one but two receivers in the early rounds of April's draft, a player with a football pedigree this league hadn't seen in some 80 seasons, the young man who turned 23 just a week and a half earlier appears ready to put both Tiffin University on the map (1,297 students at the Toledo, Ohio, school) and his capable hands around an important position (Steelers No. 3 receiver).
    Nate showed he's got some big play ability last year in the playoffs, and with that circus catch against Miami. If Cedric isn't careful Nate may beat him out that other starting lineup spot.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    nate is good, but wilson hasn't done anythign to lose his spot....last night he had that one no call on him, then he got that one call on him, and then another time he was open and batch pumped fake and got hit so wilson having no catches last night wasn't his fault
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    Nate has come on strong since the end of last year. Anyone know what his contract status is? I sure hope we have him locked up for a few years.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Cedric hasn't done anything bad or played poorly but sometimes players just get so good that they demand more playing time by their actions on the field and if Nate continues to prove he can be a go to guy you never know what the coaches might do.

House of Steel
    Nate is going to line up opposite Hines real soon if this keeps up. We are going to have a lethal deep threat combo and short threat. Our offense keeps getting explosive, once Ben is back, don't be surprise if you see us running the scoreboard up 30 to 40 points. I just hope Cowher doesn't put a lid on it. Save the conservative BS and run the scoreboard up, FANS WANT THAT!!!

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    I like Nate he will def. be are 2 Wr next year he has got some nice ups

I really like what I saw from Nate, as a matter of fact I liked him so much that I needed a 3rd WR for a fantasy league that I now I have him on my team. He was catching the ball, scoring a TD, running the reverse!! I think the Steelers found that replacement for that one guy who's now gone... what's him name, I forgot already?

Now we just need to see how that arm is of his

Thread Information