Thread: Steelers Notebook: Parker will play against Redskins

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Steelers Notebook: Parker will play against Redskins

Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker has his fifth gear back and will play for the first time Saturday night when the Steelers face the Washington Redskins in a preseason game in Landover, Md.

Parker missed 10 days of practice and did not play in the first two preseason games because of a strained muscle in the back of his left knee. He said last week he wanted to play against the Redskins but didn't think the coaching staff would use him.

But coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday Parker will play with the rest of the starters, who are expected to get about 20 snaps against the Redskins.

"I think I'm ready now," Parker said after going through a full afternoon practice. "I'm 100 percent. It's the other things I need to work on, like the plays. I'm trying to get that back in my memory bank."

Parker's injury prevented him from accelerating.

"Right now, he looks pretty good," Tomlin said. "He tells us he has that fifth gear back. You know how those high-performance athletes are. He's feeling like he's got the fifth."

Big Ben OK

The Steelers received a brief scare near the end of their afternoon practice when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger injured his throwing hand on a helmet.

But Roethlisberger was pronounced fine after an examination by team doctors in the locker room and is scheduled to practice today.

The injury occurred when he followed through on a pass and hit his right hand on a helmet during 11-on-11 drills.

Injury update

Safety Anthony Smith sustained an abdominal-related injury during practice and sat out the rest of the afternoon session.

Tomlin said he didn't think the injury was serious, but he said it was too soon to speculate. Asked if Smith would miss the game against the Redskins, Tomlin said, "I would hope that he wouldn't, but I'm not a doctor."

Left tackle Marvel Smith (back), center Chukky Okobi (ribs) and nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) did not practice. Tight end Jerame Tuman (back) returned to practice.

Outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons (groin), the team's No. 1 pick, continued to do light workouts in uniform, but has not participated in any contact drills.

"Probably not as quickly as he or I would like," Tomlin said, when asked when Timmons will resume full practice, "But we're dealing with it."

Quick hits

Wide receiver Nate Washington made a nice leaping catch in the end zone of a pass by No. 3 quarterback Brian St. Pierre.

Outside linebacker James Harrison and running back Verron Haynes staged the best battle in the 1-on-1 blocking drill pitting running backs against linebackers. Harrison twice bowled over Haynes in a simulated blitz, but Haynes got his revenge when he stuffed Harrison another time.

Today's 2:55 p.m. practice is the next-to-last session that is open to the public before camp ends Friday morning.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07227/809478-66.stm

finally, i'm tired of dookie lol, we are in some serious **** if willie goes down, dookie is soft, and russell and davis are unproven

and damn, why does ben give at least one scare a year?? he needs to stop this **** lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I was pretty unimpressed with Najeh's performance against the Packers. Barlow is a complete bust. As you said Koopa Russell and Davis are unproven. I am hoping Najeh looks better next game.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I DID like the stiff arm Najeh used on that one play He needs to do that more often lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    that would be nice, but he's at the stage in his career where he is who he is, he's a player the will rather run around you then through you, which sucks cause a dude his size should have no problem doing that, but he's soft and he will never change, thank god we don't need him to make an impact to be a good team, cause they keep saying they want to keep willie on 3rd downs if he can prove he can be a consistent blocker
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    I DID like the stiff arm Najeh used on that one play He needs to do that more often lol
    You mean those stiff jabs lol! Finally we get to see Fast Willie , I think he'll break one. Davis and Russell had some pretty nice runs so i'm sure Willie can do it.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

It will be nice to see Willie get some action this weekend, I just hope he doesn't overdue it b/c I am not impressed with Najeh at all! At this point I would rather see Russell or Davis over Najeh.

I hope Smith is alright I'm looking forward to seeing him start on opening day!

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    I will be there, 12th row endzone, will get some pixx for you......... HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA STEELERS View Post
    I will be there, 12th row endzone, will get some pixx for you......... HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!
    can't wait to see them!

Thread Information