Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faneca thinks ahead to farewell

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Faneca thinks ahead to farewell

LATROBE _ Alan Faneca's farewell tour is under way. "Knowing the end is inevitable, it does get you thinking about things," said the perennial all-star guard who plans on leaving the Steelers after this season and shop his value on the open market.
    "It's the last time for this, it's the last time for that. Thinking that I have X number of home games left ... thing like that. I try to stay off that road. I try to stay focused. But yeah, people are starting to remind me that this is it. Someone asked me about this being my last camp at St. Vincent. Yeah, it is. I'll miss St. Vincent ... except for that hill over there."
    Faneca then pointed to an uphill sidewalk leading from the practice fields to the locker room. It's a climb Faneca has made so many times over the past 10 years.
    But because the Steelers haven't offered him what he deems a fair contract extension, this will be Faneca's last week in Latrobe.
    That means that "Faneca's Fanatics" will be making their last trip to the Laurel Highlands as well.
    "Faneca's Fanatics" are a group of Steeler fans involved with the Epilepsy Foundation of Western/Central Pennsylvania. Around 40 or so members of the group _ adults and children with epilepsy and their family and friends _ made the trip to St. Vincent to watch Monday's practice and talk with Faneca afterwards. They all wore yellow "Faneca's Fanatics" t-shirts.
    Faneca, 30, has managed to play football at an All-Pro level even though he has epilepsy. His daughter, Anabelle Kathryn, also has the disease.
    Two of the "Fanatics" who attended Monday's practice were Alex Stefura, a 17-year-year-old senior at Ellwood City High School, and her 23-year brother Anthony, who has epilepsy.
    "I know what these families are going through," said Faneca, who signed autographs and posed for pictures with his "Fanatics."
    "We all know how everyone loves the Steelers and loves to be out here, so this it's a chance to give them that opportunity and to have some fun."
    He'll be well missed.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I wish he'd change his mind--there's some things you just can't (or shouldn't) put a price on--especially when you're already making so much.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. If we gel as a team at the right time and everything comes together like we are all hoping, we should have no reason not to make a deep playoff run and even the SB. If that happens it won't be a miracle like a lot of experts will claim because we have a 1st year coach but because we do have a talented team on both sides of the ball. If and when the Steelers are successful and show that for years to come, it could change Faneca's perspective on staying with the Steelers, afterall what would any player want? More money for a few years after already having a good bank account or get some more SB rings? The honor and prestige that comes with the championships would certainly solidify his place in the HOF.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. If we gel as a team at the right time and everything comes together like we are all hoping, we should have no reason not to make a deep playoff run and even the SB. If that happens it won't be a miracle like a lot of experts will claim because we have a 1st year coach but because we do have a talented team on both sides of the ball. If and when the Steelers are successful and show that for years to come, it could change Faneca's perspective on staying with the Steelers, afterall what would any player want? More money for a few years after already having a good bank account or get some more SB rings? The honor and prestige that comes with the championships would certainly solidify his place in the HOF.

Well said "Deez"

My Mood
    Addicted
    Faneca is talented, but his attitude just plain sucks. I really have lost a lot of respect for him.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosdo View Post
    Faneca is talented, but his attitude just plain sucks. I really have lost a lot of respect for him.
    I don't think it's a BAD attitude, I just think Faneca is the type of person that buys into an ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY (kind of like a government worker); meaning he thinks because hes been here 10 years his senority has earned him a new contract and has earned him special privileges. What he doesn't realize is that his current contract is what he negotiated and has earned, nothing more ... nothing less.

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    I don't think it's a BAD attitude, I just think Faneca is the type of person that buys into an ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY (kind of like a government worker); meaning he thinks because hes been here 10 years his senority has earned him a new contract and has earned him special privileges. What he doesn't realize is that his current contract is what he negotiated and has earned, nothing more ... nothing less.
    Entitlement Mentality??
    No way!! Faneca is a perennial All-Pro who's considered one of the best at his position. He's making literal peanuts in comparison to what the going rate for offensive guards has skyrocketed up to.
    When the likes of Leonard Davis...Derrick Dockery and a small collection of other bums are signing huge mega-million dollar deals around the league Faneca can't be blamed for wanting to be fairly compensated...or at least what the rate for topped-out guards is paying out.

I do think it's a shame the Steelers and Faneca can't both compromise and agree on a workable $$$ amount.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
    Entitlement Mentality??
    No way!! Faneca is a perennial All-Pro who's considered one of the best at his position. He's making literal peanuts in comparison to what the going rate for offensive guards has skyrocketed up to.
    When the likes of Leonard Davis...Derrick Dockery and a small collection of other bums are signing huge mega-million dollar deals around the league Faneca can't be blamed for wanting to be fairly compensated...or at least what the rate for topped-out guards is paying out.

I do think it's a shame the Steelers and Faneca can't both compromise and agree on a workable $$$ amount.

Exactly, there is no reason why they can't come togeter on a deal fair for both sides.

I'm A "Champion"

Everyone knows the Rooneys dont shell out big cash. But Alan needed to be a little more fair about the deal. He has said hes open to an extention as well. You never know the Rooneys might sign him on for another year with a second year option.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
    Everyone knows the Rooneys dont shell out big cash. But Alan needed to be a little more fair about the deal. He has said hes open to an extention as well. You never know the Rooneys might sign him on for another year with a second year option.
    you act like we have unlimited cash to hand out to everyone, just because rooney isnt dan snyder doesnt make him cheap. We would rather keep most of our players happy, rather than just one, giving faneca the money he wants would put us in big trouble for years to come because hes not that great of an investment at this point, hes a guard, not a franchise LT, we made him the highest paid guard at one point, it might be asking a little much to do that again, hes just not worth it. Sure hes still considered one of the best, but hes making the probowl based on rep at this point, it wont be long til his play starts to decline and itssad to say but its true, he is getting old....we will draft the top guard available next year and you all will forget about faneca, i wish we wouldve traded the bastard before the draft anyway

Thread Information