Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: **Walter Young**

Bookmark and Share
    Thats a plus. having a guy like Walter also saves you time in the pocket because the balls you throw to him don't have to be perfect just reachable.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    We've made our living on "smurf" sized WR's all during the Cowher era...well smurf sized compared to someone like Plax or Walter Young. I'd like to see Walter finally pan out and make a contribution on the field for us but if not we've got a good group of guys ready to step up.

I will admit I am pulling for him though, he'd be a great weapon for those jump balls in the corner of the endzone or on the sidelines.

Totally agree! Thought Plax was going to be THAT guy a few years back but he never gelled. I like what I have seen so far in Young, Big athletic, and seems to have good hands. We haven't had that BIG "go to " guy, other than sporatic use of TE's and the toughest man in the universe : Mr Hines Ward. I think Young will not only be a asset, but also open up ops for our current TE corps( which I am waiting patientlyto see get let loose. I like when we can get vertical. Pumps up the Rungame!

Do you think Washington stays? He had a tough miss last night, again, and the announcer seemed to think he gave up on the route a bit.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

I always liked at least one big reciever because Hines can be the short yard posseion reciever and than a big WR as a deep threat Look how well that worked a couple years ago with a buress and a rookie QB 15-1 anybody? but Holmes and Ried can be a deep threats with thier speed but I just would like at least 1 6-3 6-4 reciever for those jump balls and 60 yard bombs.

But I would like to see what Baker can do but frow what Iv've seen of Walter Young the past couple of games he's looking good.

the thing is, you say tall equals deep threat....not true, young is slow as ****....holmes is a deep threat cause of speed. Walter young is not a deep threat, not all tall WRs can be randy moss or calvin johnson

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    the thing is, you say tall equals deep threat....not true, young is slow as shiat....holmes is a deep threat cause of speed. Walter young is not a deep threat, not all tall WRs can be randy moss or calvin johnson
    Thats totally right, If young contributes it wont be in the deep passing game, most likely he'll be a possesion reciever but probably be used more to block

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSteve View Post
    Thats totally right, If young contributes it wont be in the deep passing game, most likely he'll be a possesion reciever but probably be used more to block
    Yes I see Young if he makes the team as the possesion type or redzone target.....If anybody thinks Young can be a consistent deep threat....Look at his speed....He isn't very fast.....the Oline would have to hold their blocks forever for Young to get down the field...

This is being made out to be WAY too big of an issue... he will be at best a #6 and thats if we keep 6 wideouts!!! I like him because of his height, hands and ability to play SP's. If we DO keep six i'd like to see Ward, Homles, Wilson, Reid, Washington and either Baker or Young. I like having a tall guy... the thing about these to guys that NOBODY has mentioned (that i have seen atleast) is that IF they make the team, it will be as a #6... so they dont have to be THE GUY!!! They can be situational ex: Goal-line, undersized opposing DB core and SP's. If you have a guy like Moss, Plex, Gates, Gonzales who is over 6'3- 6'4 and has leaping ability, I dont care who you put at corner its a mis-match. Ike Taylor was made to look like a JV player by Walker last season twice in the same game on fade routes. Why? Beacuse when it came down to it, Walker just out reached Taylor!! Size creates match up problems!!!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I did mention Young as a red zone target....I also agree this was made out to be too big of an issue....You're right at best Young,Baker will be the 6th WR at best and thats if Tomlin keeps 6......

sorry forever32... i was trying to say i didnt see anyone talking about this guy being a #6 and he didnt have to be the "go-to-guy" like most big men are ie: Moss, Burress, Owens, Walker... i did see the mention of him being a Redzone threat though and i agree this is only IF Mike wants 6 WRs!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    we're talkin a number six here... no big contract, mostly a ST'er, who might give you 20+ catches a this year if we DO decide to go more 4 wide. But when its first and goal from the 7, you have the option of putting one of these guys split wide to the left, trips right, single back/trips formation. The fade route is right now a 50/50 toss up. If thrown right (at the back Pylon) its the safest pass you can make... TD or incomplete. So what if the guy is a number six.. and only gives you 17 catches this season... 3-5 of them might be for the EASIEST TD's of the year. I hope we can find a way to keep which everyguy has the MOST to offer overall as a player and right now that looks like Young!!!!
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 08-14-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I guess people thought that I meant he was the number 1 receiver. I like Walter Young because obviously he'll be guarded by the teams 4th or 5th Cb he would eat them alive. He can just man handle any corner and you can't jam his huge *** on the line.He's going to do great in the red zone and with our tight ends. Who do you cover?
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Thread Information