Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers begin to separate themselves

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers begin to separate themselves

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin informed his players this week that he's seen separation among some of them.
    It's a process that began against New Orleans on Sunday night in Canton, Ohio, and will continue Saturday night at Heinz Field against Green Bay.
    The early part of camp was about preparing individuals to compete for roster spots.
    Now, it's about weeding out.

Now, it's time to step up or step back.
    Amazingly, Lawrence Timmons has distinguished himself by doing neither.
    Timmons was sent to Philadelphia on Wednesday for more medical evaluation of the groin that has kept him from practicing for seemingly all but five minutes of his Steelers career.
    "Somewhat of a breakthrough there," said Tomlin, who added that he would have more information about Timmons today.
    Tomlin still isn't sure when or to what extent Timmons will be able to practice. He's separated himself.
    No. 4B pick Ryan McBean has, too.
    Initially thought by assistant head coach/defensive line coach John Mitchell to be a prospect of great potential, McBean is struggling mightily with assignments and remains a distant third-teamer behind the established second line of Nick Eason, Chris Hoke and Travis Kirschke.
    Heading in the other direction is linebacker Marquis Cooper, who was summoned to camp July 31, in part because of Timmons' continued unavailability.
    Cooper played in two games with the Steelers a year ago -- against Denver and New Orleans -- and has played in 30 NFL games over three seasons, bouncing from Tampa Bay to Pittsburgh to Seattle and now back to Pittsburgh
    He played on special teams Sunday night, and by Wednesday morning, he was moved up to the No. 1 kickoff team.
    Linebacker James Harrison (ribs) was back in pads by then, and linebacker Clint Kriewaldt (shoulder) was back at work covering kickoffs.
    Cooper's promotion to the No. 1 kickoff team, therefore, appears to be more of an acknowledgment of his special-teams effectiveness in the Hall of Fame Game than it does a body filling a vacated spot.
    "I guess so, yeah," Cooper said.
    Cooper's separating himself.
    So is running back Carey Davis, who combined for 100 yards rushing and receiving and worked with the No. 1 units on kickoff and punt coverage against New Orleans.
    So is cornerback William Gay, who joined the No. 1 kickoff team along with Cooper and Kriewaldt (linebackers Arnold Harrison and Richard Koonce and safety Anthony Smith were removed).
    Gay had an interception against the Saints, but his most memorable play was the vicious, ball-separating lick he put on New Orleans wide receiver Robert Meachem.
    Meachem was a No. 1 pick and Gay was a fifth-rounder, but that stuff only matters in April.
    In August, it's about separation much more than selection.
    Looks like McBean won't be making the team.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Addicted
    Disappointing to hear about McBean.

Well McBeam was worth a shot mabye the coaches will give him another chance

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Theres 4 more preseason games and 19 days until the first roster cuts to 75 players. Final cuts to a 53 man roster is 1 Sept. I'm sure Tomlin already has a good idea on the 53 man roster, he's looking for big surprises and how injuries will affect that final cut.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Starter
    Lets just cut Mcbean and Mcbeam, we dont need either

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Can we cut Barlow right now?

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    Can we cut Barlow right now?
    Not defending Barlow because he does appear to be very expendible with the performances of Carey Davis and Gary Russell. Barlow will get some more opportunities to earn a roster spot and it will be on those efforts his fate will be determined. Unless he shows us something in the next couple games he will be cut. Because he has enjoyed playing in the NFL a few years and has become accustomed to the lifestyle it affords, it is almost inconceivable that he would be able to match the hunger and intensity the unproven players bring to the table. Bye, bye Barlow! Take your lazy *** on down the road.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    Looks like McBean won't be making the team.
    Can't say I am for McbeaN, no need to keep Barlow either.. I believe in Mr Rooney
    COOL SIG CAP'N!!
    Last edited by GoBenGo; 08-11-2007 at 03:14 PM.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

we all had high hopes for mcbean, but 3-4 lineman are tough to come around

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Not defending Barlow because he does appear to be very expendible with the performances of Carey Davis and Gary Russell. Barlow will get some more opportunities to earn a roster spot and it will be on those efforts his fate will be determined. Unless he shows us something in the next couple games he will be cut. Because he has enjoyed playing in the NFL a few years and has become accustomed to the lifestyle it affords, it is almost inconceivable that he would be able to match the hunger and intensity the unproven players bring to the table. Bye, bye Barlow! Take your lazy *** on down the road.
    Exactly . Then he had the nerve to whine about him being taken out the game. He had to know that Davis & Russell was kickin his a$$. Then he acts like they weren't running behind the same O-line. I think he just lacks the burst to get to the whole when he sees it. ........ He's done.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Thread Information