Thread: Quinn, Browns agree on five year deal

Bookmark and Share

Quinn, Browns agree on five year deal

So will Quinn be the starter in Cleveland?

Link to Story
    Brady Quinn has agreed to a five-year contact with the Cleveland Browns worth $20.2 million, with $7.75 million guaranteed, ending his holdout.

The deal could grow to $30 million over five years with incentives.

Quinn, who was on his way to Cleveland to join his teammates on Tuesday, had been working out at an athletic training facility in Arizona while his contract was being negotiated.

Having missed the first 10 days of training camp, Quinn, 22, faces a considerable catch-up period at a position where the learning curve is already difficult. Although he performed in a sophisticated offense at Notre Dame, and under the tutelage of coach Charlie Weis, who is famous for developing quarterbacks, Quinn struggled in the spring workouts and minicamps.

Quinn likely has lost his chance to open the season as the Browns' starter but, given the continuing uncertainty at the position, could still challenge for playing time as the year progresses, particularly if the Cleveland offense sputters. Given the steep price the Browns paid to acquire Quinn, surrendering their first-round choice in the 2008 draft, he must be viewed as the franchise's long-term quarterback hope.

"It's unfortunate that it took this long to get done," Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "I feel like it's a deal that we potentially could have done at the start of camp."

The major sticking point in negotiations between the Browns and agent Tom Condon were escalator clauses based on playing time for Quinn. Condon and the Browns were also hung up over increases in the fourth and fifth years of a potential deal.

Coach Romeo Crennel has coldly referred to Quinn as "the quarterback" and not by name during the holdout.

"He's pretty far behind," Crennel said last week. "We have a lot of offense, and we're putting it in every day. It takes a while to get this down and get caught up on it."

The Browns have only two practices before their first preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday in Cleveland.

"We're going to put him at the bottom of the chart and see where he is," Crennel said. "We'll let him compete, but I'm not putting him on the first team tomorrow."

Quinn also missed the team's four-day rookie orientation before camp.

Third-year veterans Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson continue to vie for the No. 1 job this season. Frye was nominally listed as the starter when Crennel released his first depth chart on Monday, but the Browns' head coach cautioned against reading too much into that.

Condon proposed to allow Quinn to get a $5 million increase in the final two years of a potential five-year deal if he takes 55 percent of the snaps in any two of the first three years or 70 percent in any one of the first three. The Browns wanted to make the triggers tougher to reach.

Quinn was seeking $8 million in guaranteed money, roughly the same amount that the No. 20 pick, cornerback Aaron Ross, got from the New York Giants.

Quinn's signing leaves two first-round picks -- Oakland quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the top overall selection, and cornerback Darrelle Revis of the New York Jets, the No. 14 choice -- without contracts.

The 22nd overall choice in the draft, Quinn departed Notre Dame with 36 school passing and total offense records. He started 46 games and his 29 victories tied a Fighting Irish record. Quinn completed 929 of 1,602 passes for 11,762 yards, with 95 touchdown passes and 39 interceptions.

Although he possesses excellent size (6-foot-3, 232 pounds) and pocket stature, Quinn is a better athlete than most people think, and has good running ability. He was timed at the combine workouts at 4.73 seconds in the 40.

Uncertainty at quarterback is nothing new for the Browns, who have employed five different opening-day starters in the last five years. And through three dozen practices in the spring and now in the first 10 days of training camp, neither Frye nor Anderson has separated himself enough yet to have been vested with the No. 1 job.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    :yawns:

Give him a few years, he will be promoted to Tim Couch status

lol....i hope he comes to pittsburgh ready week one, i think he'll start from day one and we have a certain Lb that im sure wont mind taking out some ND scum

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lol....i hope he comes to pittsburgh ready week one, i think he'll start from day one and we have a certain Lb that im sure wont mind taking out some ND scum
    The Steelers actually open in Cleveland....I hate Notre Dame so I would like nothing more then to see Quinn bust in the NFL.......Yes Woodley would love to get his hands on Quinn.....It was great watching Michigan destroy Notre Dame last year.....I work with a bunch of Irish fans so I love talking **** to them....

Get ready for an *** kicking twice a year Brady Quinn.....

Starter
    The sad thing for the browns is that starting a rookie qb is their best chance to win, which will from zero to non-existent I'm seeing a 5-11 at the very best

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    The Steelers actually open in Cleveland....I hate Notre Dame so I would like nothing more then to see Quinn bust in the NFL.......Yes Woodley would love to get his hands on Quinn.....It was great watching Michigan destroy Notre Dame last year.....I work with a bunch of Irish fans so I love talking shiat to them....

Get ready for an *** kicking twice a year Brady Quinn.....
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Like mention K, we go to Cleveland the 1st week and for the record, I doubt highly that Queer, I mean Quinn will even start against us.....That's a blow out in the making, like back when that other kid started for the 1st time and we shut them down 43-0.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Well this could be another Couch ~~~~

I feel for all players drafted by Cleveland

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I don't know, I wouldn't mind that LB Wimbley(Or however you spell it) they got. Dude had a hell of a rookie year.
    I'm sure alot better than this soft *** bitch Timmons we got.......
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    I don't know, I wouldn't mind that LB Wimbley(Or however you spell it) they got. Dude had a hell of a rookie year.
    I'm sure alot better than this soft *** bitch Timmons we got.......
    Already calling him soft,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    He's not even played a down yet~~~~~
    I know you want him 100%,,,,,,,,,Instead of re-injuring himself over & over
    all season long !!!!!

So be patient CAP,,,,,,,,,,Woodley's looking awesome

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Ya you probably right but I never did like the kid even before we drafted him. Now Woodley is coming along pretty good......
    -unknown

Thread Information