Thread: Notebook: Steelers announce captains

Bookmark and Share

Post Notebook: Steelers announce captains

Here are some news and notes (captains, injuries, etc) for the Steelers. Also, if you click on the link there are some intersting "digits" they call it, for example "100 - Regular-season games the Steelers have won in their last 102 when achieving an 11-point lead under Bill Cowher (100-1-1)."

www.pittsburghlive.com

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburghlive.com
    The Steelers announced their captains, as chosen in a vote by the players and as approved by head coach Bill Cowher, following Tuesday night's practice. Offense: Wide receiver Hines Ward and guard Alan Faneca. Defense: Linebackers James Farrior and Joey Porter. Special teams: Wide receiver Sean Morey and linebacker Clint Kriewaldt. All but Kriewaldt were captains last season. Kriewaldt replaced cornerback Chidi Iwuoma.

• The Steelers downgraded tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) to doubtful and upgraded Ward (hamstring) and center Chukky Okobi (knee) to probable for Thursday night's opener against Miami. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (appendectomy) remained out, and offensive tackle Willie Colon (hamstring), Iwuoma (concussion), safety Mike Logan (ankle) and offensive tackle Max Starks (knee) remained probable on the first official injury report of the week. Cowher had listed Okobi, Tuman and Ward as questionable on Sunday. Roethlisberger and Tuman didn't practice last night.

• For the Dolphins, guard Joe Berger (foot) is out, and cornerback Travis Daniels (ankle) is questionable. Daniels is a starter.

• Practice squad quarterbacks Omar Jacobs and Brian St. Pierre both said they had no idea who would be activated onto the active roster to serve as Charlie Batch's backup against Miami.

"You have to be patient," Jacobs said, "and when your time comes, whether it's tomorrow, two days from now or a year from now, you have to step up."

The Steelers have until 4 p.m. Thursday to make such a move.

• Roethlisberger returned to the Steelers' South Side practice facility yesterday, two days after his latest surgery, and observed a portion of practice. He declined to speak with reporters.

• No. 1 pick Santonio Holmes is anticipating making his NFL debut, but he is uncertain how much he'll play other than on special teams.

"I think I'm going to be back there returning punts and kicks," Holmes said.

• Sports artist Malcolm Farley will paint while the Steelers battle the Dolphins. Farley is an officially licensed artist of the NFL and Major League Baseball. Farley's impressionistic representation of the event will be available to fans for purchase. More information on Farley can be obtained at www.sohoeditions.com or at www.malcolmfarley.com.

• The Steelers are encouraging all fans planning to attend Thursday night's game to arrive early and be seated by 8 p.m., a half hour prior to kickoff. A special pregame program will feature Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts and a ceremony commemorating the Steelers' five Super Bowl titles. An official Terrible Towel wave, led by Corey O'Connor, the youngest son of late Pittsburgh Mayor Bob O'Connor, will take place prior to kickoff.

House of Steel
    Nice read there, pal.

I agree with the picks for Captains!!! All I have to say is, why isn't Ben one of the captains???

I guess you have to be there a long time to establish that credential I guess.

I'm sure there's a pecking order when it comes to selecting captains. Ben will get his chance, just not now.

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    I'm sure there's a pecking order when it comes to selecting captains. Ben will get his chance, just not now.

Guess your right, why is it, I feel he is still a Rookie in my heart???

Hey, I am very blessed to know that he is one of ours. He is a Godsent gift to the Steelers.

BIG BEN #7 WE WILL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU AS FANS!!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Hines and Faneca have been rocks for a few years and deserve to be captains. Ben just needs to be here for a couple more years and he'll get it.
    I really like the picks on D. They are our heart on that side of the ball.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Good choices ! Solid veterans who've been around for a long time.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    thanks for the post AZ
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information