Thread: Former Steeler defensive lineman happy for another chance

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Former Steeler defensive lineman happy for another chance

Defensive lineman Orien Harris was Pittsburgh’s gift to the Browns.
    The Steelers drafted the University of Miami (Fla.) defensive tackle fairly high in 2006 at No. 133 overall. However, Harris did not make the regular roster, instead being relegated to Pittsburgh’s practice squad. That left him susceptible to a raid by the Browns, who relocated him by giving up a spot on their 53-man roster in December.
    Harris doesn’t like to talk about it.
    “I’m just blessed the Browns gave me a chance,” he said after Thursday’s training camp practice. “That’s it.”
    Harris is trying to jump from the fourth round of last year’s draft to a meaningful role on his second NFL team as a 3-4 defensive end.
    “I don’t get impatient,” he said. “It’s a process. When my number’s called, I’ll be ready.”
    Harris might be a key man if Orpheus Roye can’t make a speedy return from Thursday’s arthroscopic knee surgery, which the team said went well.
    With age and depth issues on the defensive line and next year’s first-round pick lost in the Brady Quinn deal, the Browns sorely need a young lineman to emerge. The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Harris is an intriguing candidate.
    After he made 34 starts for Miami, a predraft scouting report posted on nfl.com said:
    “Harris was a frustrating player to grade because he no doubt has the athletic ability, natural strength and competitiveness to be a good NFL starter, but he does not produce at the level he is capable of.
    “Despite flashing ability to consistently get backfield penetration and make plays, he has a tendency to get upright. In most games graded, he was only involved in three or four plays per game.
    “Teams should be careful not to over-draft him. He will look like a first-day pick. However, his overall production is very inconsistent.”
    Well, Steelers didn't see nothing in him to warrant a spot on this team but hopfully he doesn't goes the those Bums and make in impact....
    I doubt it though because he does seem a bit lazy...
    I know i thought, like alot of others, that Harris could of possibly be a real Gem for being our 4th rd pick last year.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand
    I know i thought, like alot of others, that Harris could of possibly be a real Gem for being our 4th rd pick last year.
    I was one of those guys, really thought he had a lot of promise. Oh well some people are just happy with bein drafted I guess. Maybe being cut loose will make him realize it takes more then talent to make a team in the NFL, it takes hard work too.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I think I liked the pick just because he was from the U... I was somewhat upset when the Browns signed him though.

We drafted a similar player in McBean in the fourth round again this year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    DL is probably the hardest position to crack on the roster for the Steelers because we have 3 solid starters and 2 solid backups already entrenched. That only leaves 1 open spot for several people each camp to try and win.

Thread Information