Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starters in preseason games...how much time?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Starters in preseason games...how much time?

Just thinking about the HOF game this weekend, and then about past preseasons under BC, it got me thinking about starters in the preseason. Whats your ideal playing time for starters in these meaningless games.

As far as records go they are meaningless but as far as building your team, installing the basic offense and defense, getting timing down, working together, and all of that they are crucial.

With 4 preseason games normally I usually like:

Game 1: starters play most of the first quarter
    Game 2: starters play all of the first quarter and part of the 2nd
    Game 3: starters play the first half, possibly part way into the 2nd half
    Game 4: Starters play most of the first half then get off the field.

With 5 games now it does help especially with having a new coach, but I just hate having all those games and risking injury before the season starts.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Its an interesting question...Some coaches play their starters longer then others in pre-season games.....I think 1 quarter at the most is enough for the first game......

Just enough to get comfortable, but not so much that they run the risk of getting injured! Now it's just a matter of finding out how much time that really is!

I tend to look at time played in series as opposed quarters because the offense/defense could potentially only get 1 series in the first quarter. With 5 games this year I would be happy with a two series for the starters in this first game, after that:
    • Game 2: 4 series
    • Game 3: Entire first half
    • Game 4: Entire first half, plus 2-3 series of the second half
    • Game 5: 4-6 series just to keep fresh and get ready for opening weekend.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah the first game, I think that's enough too. The guys are all fired up so and haven't had any game time in like 6 months atleast so you have to limit their time at first and then ease them into more as conditioning and game plan implementation, etc. increase during camp.

I just hate seeing the starters pulled so early in almost every game in the BC era in preseason. By the time the season started the starters had virtually no playing time.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    I'm glad they have 5 preseason games since they have a new head coach and offensive coordinater. It will give them one more week of learning the new offense in real game situations.
    I would like to see the first team play one qaurter, the first two games.
    Game three and four, play at least 6 offensive and defensive series.
    Last game play three qaurters then let the guys fighting for the last roster spots go at it.

Thanks to Zachintosh66 for my awesome website banner!!
    steelersal.com

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Yeah the first game, I think that's enough too. The guys are all fired up so and haven't had any game time in like 6 months atleast so you have to limit their time at first and then ease them into more as conditioning and game plan implementation, etc. increase during camp.

I just hate seeing the starters pulled so early in almost every game in the BC era in preseason. By the time the season started the starters had virtually no playing time.
    I agree Cowher pulled his starters to early all the time in the pre-season...But It totally understood why since he didn't want to lose anybody to injury in a meaningless game.....

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Injuries are going to happen no matter what, you can have someone sit for 90% of the preseason and then come out and get hurt on the first snap of the regular season. I'm not sayin play every preseason game but they need to put their time in to get used to the game speed and getting and bein hit. Most often then not, injuries happen when players get apprehensive and scared of hitting and being hit.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Injuries are going to happen no matter what, you can have someone sit for 90% of the preseason and then come out and get hurt on the first snap of the regular season. I'm not sayin play every preseason game but they need to put their time in to get used to the game speed and getting and bein hit. Most often then not, injuries happen when players get apprehensive and scared of hitting and being hit.
    IMO Brett Favre should retire then give bone marrow transplants to all of our starters

Tailgate Coordinator
    Being that we have 5 games, I play them 2 series each in the 1st Qtr. And expand from there. We have alot of young guys that need game speed reps.

I'm A "Champion"

Let them play 2-3 series.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

Thread Information