Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers DBs Are Trying to Break Reid

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers DBs Are Trying to Break Reid

As multiple newspapers report this morning, Willie Reid has thankfully show that he's healthy this July, which could finally solve the Steelers problems in the return game. His 4.35 speed is back and he's showing no ill effects from what was a very serious Lisfranc injury last year.

But he's also shown that he can take the big hit as a receiver, even if some of the hits are a little bit over the line for training camp.

For some reason, Reid seems to have become a magnet for getting laid out in practice, especially by free safety Anthony Smith. Three times in the last three days he's been flattened by a safety when he made a catch over the middle. And Hines Ward, serving as the big brother of the receivers, went over and yelled at the defensive backs to try to make it stop.

"Willie's slowing up on the play and somebody hits him," Ward said. "How far do you go to be cleared out of the way? We don't need a man to go down off something stupid. You lose somebody off a great hit? C'mon."
    And when it all was over, Hines started quoting Allen Iverson.

"It's chicken(bleep)," said Ward. "That's what it is. It's chicken(bleep). We're talking about practice, and you go out there and hurt somebody? I understand we're going at it hard, and you want to hit somebody else, but we have to practice smart."
    Yes, we're talking about practice, but whether they're cheap shots or not, it's good to see that Reid is showing his ability to hang onto the ball after big hits--he's the Steelers fastest receiver, and if he can start developing into a guy who can work the middle as a slot receiver on third downs it would give the Steelers some much needed depth at wideout. And the second-year receiver seems to understand where the hits are coming from. He explained that he's a trash talker who likes to bait the DBs. And there don't seem to be any hard feelings as Ward and Reid sat with DBs Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend at dinner.
    This is great to hear.....Getting another Willie up to speed.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Tailgate Coordinator
    I can see Wards point. And understand Smith is tryuing to win a spot also, but he can't take it too far.

I'm A "Champion"

lol i like hear about smith trying to kill people and reid being tough lol....awesome

Yea it's good to see that Reid is healthy and can take the big hit.
    I would love to see him and Nate move past Ced in the depth chart, allowing us to release Wilson and save some $.
    I can see Anthony Smith hurting someone, hopefully it's during the preseason/season and not practice.
    He has a bit of a mean streak to him and there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

hes such a dick....its awesome lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I love the fact Smith is laying the smack down any chance he gets.....Wrs across the NFL beware.....lol As for Reid its great he is showing he can take a hit and hold onto the ball........That was a problem last year with some of the WRs on the team.....If he can develop into a WR thats just great since he has the speed to take it to the house.......I would like see him win the kick/punt return spots first though..

Im glad the DBs are getting competitive. Its good to see a little animosity in camp. It shows for good character. I also undertand where Hines is comming from. We dont want to hurt somebody before the season starts. Here is thie thing, a lolt of times they are hitting him when he is slowing down. You wanna make a good hit then do it when hes at full speed and you can make a play then talk smack

Reppin' 724
    I like the fact that Smith is head-hunting. If I were him though, I'd watch out on a running play, b/c you all know how Hines rolls.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Honestly, I like Ward ..... but his attitude is wearing thin on me.

To be honest with you If I was Anthony Smith and I was competing to have a starting job on the Pittsburgh Steelers I wouldn't really hold back. But Ward is also right what if Reid got hurt again that would just be stupid. This is really going to turn into a close group after camp and Tomlin is definetly starting on the right foot here.

Thread Information