Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Steeler's Fan?

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

What is a Steeler's Fan?

this is from a myspace friend I asked him if I could repost it and gave him your url so hope he shows up....
    What is a Steelers Fan?
    What's the big deal about Steeler football? Being a Steeler fan means so much more than football.

It means being from a corner of the world unlike any other. It means being from a place where the people are so tough-minded that they have survived the Homestead strikes, the Johnstown flood and most recently the Etna Floods.

These people have the DNA of hard work, in mills and mines, without the necessity of complaint.

They live simply, with no frills. They don't have movie stars or fancy cars.

Instead, they have simple traditions like kielbasa and Kennywood.

They live in distinctive neighborhoods like Polish Hill and the Hill District and all of the surrounding counties.

These people are genuine.

They don't have chic internet cafes and cappuccinos, but they have The Original Hot Dog joint, Eat n' Park and Iron City Beer.

People from Pittsburgh don't have sunny beaches or fancy boats, but the rivers roll gently, connecting the small towns of people whose histories have been built on strength and humility.

People from Pittsburgh don't have the biggest shopping malls or the best nightclubs, but they'll take Friday night high school football and Steeler Sunday over anything.

Steeler football means so much more than you think. It symbolizes a diaspora of generations who had the best childhood they could imagine.

They ran free without a care or concern in the valleys of those Allegheny Mountains. Their blue-collar world was easy ... there was no one to tell them that they lacked material things. There was no one to tell them that they needed more.

As the steel mills closed and the jobs disappeared, some of these people had to leave. While the world benefits because they spread their Pittsburgh values, they long for their home where things were simpler and more pure.

They teach their kids about Jack Lambert and Joe Greene in hopes of departing not just the knowledge, but the feeling that they represented.

They are everywhere, those Terrible Towels. They wave, not just for the team, but for the hearts they left behind. They wave in living rooms in Fort Lauderdale and in the bars D.C. They wave all the way to the Seattle Superdome! They wave for the Rooney family, whose values mirror our own - loyalty, grit, and humility. They wave for football players like Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward, whose unselfishness and toughness have allowed sports to be about the game and the team.

Make no mistake that Steeler football is not just about football. I could not be prouder to be from the Pittsburgh area than I am right now!! Even if you no longer live in the area, you have South Western Pennsylvania in your blood no matter where you go . and deep down in your heart of hearts, you can still hear the Super Bowls of times past, the excitement in everyone's voices especially our fathers, cousins, and anyone else who gathered around the TV on Football Sundays!! Make no mistake, its just as exciting right now if not more!! It's not just about rivalries and who is better than the other, it's about family, tradition and roots! It's more than football, but its football at its finest!! If you now live in Colorado, Ohio, Indiana, Chicago, Florida, Iowa, Texas . be proud of where you were born and who your FIRST favorite football team was!!..

link

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice write up You don't have to be born in Pittsburgh to have those feelings and live and breathe Black and Gold. To know Steelers football and that mentality is a way of life that either is taught to you by others or is self taught. Its a way of life that makes you draw a line in the dirt and dare anyone to cross it. Its getting knocked down and getting right back up without dusting yourself off. Its remembering where we came from and be proud of all the ups and downs. Its being there to help a friend without being asked, its picking your friend up off the bar floor cuz he had way to much to drink. Its sense of pride that can only be explained by looking in my eyes whether we win or lose, you'll see it, its there.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Nice post "deb" ~~~~

Being born in ohio and raised in KY,I really wasn't around any steeler fan's
    but when i was a kid,there was something about that name,colors and
    that awesome STEEL CURTAIN defense that just drew me to the team & have been hooked ever since,,,,,,,

Win or Lose,,,,,I've always backed my steelers and I always will---

After we won the superbowl & the bus got on stage & announced his retirement "a tear rolled down the side of my face" because I knew i'd never see him run the ball again.

Same happened when the chin stepped down as our HC !!!!!!!!
    Even though I knew it was time for him to move on !!!!!

SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar
    Well you guys know I am not a steelers fan but my parents were. My we didn't have a lot growing up and my dad always worked two jobs. He aged way beyond his years much too early. But kinda like that .............come every Sunday it was steelers time....and still is....the names have all changed but not much else has. SO I dunno guess maybe thats why I love this site and why I respect it all...cuz my dad didn't have a lot of days when he wasn't dead tired but the steelers were always something they looked forward to. So I pretty much grew up with it all

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Today's Steeler fan may be different in terms of upbringing or lifestyle as it was back in the day. Today Pittsburgh is a thriving town of both blue collar and white collar workers but the mentality still remains. Hard work, dedication, tradition values, never say die attitude, it's apart of the culture of western PA and when you talk to any Steeler fan regardless of their background you'll always know what they hold dear to their hearts and that's the city and belief that Sundays are made for the Steelers !

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Deb!

I think, if you keep hanging out here. You will be one of us soon!

Follow the light!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Tailgate Coordinator
    Nice write up, soo true!

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Horny
    man this post gave me chills!! it is so true! even though i was born and raised in ohio I was born and rasied to bleed black and gold!!! Man my whole family lives to gather together on sundays and watch steeler football. and cleve and steelersgal will tell you that.

Draft Pick
    I was born and raised in western Pennsylvania and those words brought tears to my eyes!!

Now I live in Cincinnati, and I can tell you........a Bungals fan cannot relate or understand what it means to be a Steelers fan at all. They just don't get it. Night and day......the nastinatti and the Burgh.

Born in Steeler Country......Living in WhoDeyLand

Reppin' 724
    Its a nice....I like!

Thread Information