Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Steelers revive the no-huddle offense

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

    Steelers revive the no-huddle offense

    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_519418.html

    By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, July 28, 2007


    Ben Roethlisberger isn't doing as much campaigning this year.
    There's no need.

    New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and head coach Mike Tomlin are in apparent agreement with their QB's belief that the Steelers should employ the no-huddle offense in situations other than when they're trying to play beat the clock.

    "With Bruce and the confidence he has in me and Tomlin has, I think we'll use it," Roethlisberger said.

    Roethlisberger, citing the success of Carson Palmer and the Cincinnati Bengals in such situations, voiced his desire for the Steelers to follow suit as the next logical step in their continued development as an offense in the spring of 2006.
    The no-huddle/hurry-up has come into vogue in recent seasons as a method of dictating tempo and combating situational substitutions on defense.

    Fresh from a Super Bowl championship a year ago in June, former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt initially warmed up to the idea of the Steelers trying to play it that way on occasion.

    Roethlisberger, Whisenhunt declared, had earned the right to attempt to take on more responsibility in such a fashion.

    But it didn't work out that way.

    "Short of saying anything about the other coaches that were here (last year), but we just didn't use it in the (regular-season) games," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know why."

    Roethlisberger's offseason motorcycle accident didn't initially deter either Whisenhunt or former head coach Bill Cowher from moving forward with their no-huddle experiment.

    "Against Minnesota in the preseason, we used the no-huddle on the first series and went right down and scored," Roethlisberger said.

    They might have done the same against Miami had Roethlisberger not missed the regular-season opener after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.

    He was off-target and ineffective upon his return on Sept. 18 in Jacksonville.

    And by the time Roethlisberger made it back from a concussion suffered on Oct. 22 in Atlanta and threw four interceptions on Oct. 29 in Oakland, the Steelers were 2-5 and in scramble mode much more than they were committed to expanding their repertoire.

    Arians' embracing of the concept this summer includes four no-huddle packages in addition to the hurry-up normally relied upon at the conclusion of halves or games.

    "Those will just be up-tempo," Arians said. "The (hurry-up) we consider fast-break, four wide receivers and just as fast as we can go."

    The Steelers worked on the hurry-up on Wednesday, attempting to advance the ball against the defense and a ticking clock positioned on the practice field.

    The personnel group in that instance was three wide receivers (Hines Ward, Cedric Wilson and Nate Washington), tight end Heath Miller and running back Willie Parker, further evidence that tight ends and wide receivers are becoming interchangeable in Arians' administration.

    On Thursday, the Steelers went no-huddle but at less than a breakneck pace.

    The personnel group used included two tight ends (Miller and Jerame Tuman), Ward, Wilson and Parker.

    "B.A. said this can be a weapon for us at any time," Roethlisberger said. "And if you remember the game at Cleveland, we were down, but we started using it in the third quarter and we started moving the ball.

    "I think it can be a weapon just like our (hurry-up)."
    I think we all were screaming for the no huddle more last year...it's the perfect way to change up the pace of the game, or start it out on a note that the defense wasn't expecting. Especially when our offense was so inept so many times last year I think using the no huddle would have been a great way to help change that. So far this year Tomlin and Arians are looking to use it more which is great. You can't live on the no huddle but you can certainly use it more than waiting till you're behind 28-0.

  2. #2
    SA's Bouncer
    DIESELMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brandenburg, Ky.
    Posts
    7,492
    My Mood
    Addicted
    With the no huddle and Ben having a part in reconstructing the playbook, we will have a lot of different looks to go into our passing game.


    If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!


    "Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

    "They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

  3. #3
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I want to see what Ben can do when he's able to make more calls at the line and change up plays on the fly. That will give us a real good indication of just how good this guy can really be. His first 2 years in the league he was phenomenal, then last year was a setback, now it's time to unless Big Ben and see what he can really do !

  4. #4
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Thats why I have been screaming for the Steelers since they drafted Ben to throw the ball more....I don't the Steelers to be the 99 Rams.......But you draft a QB in the first round for a reason and its not to just throw the ball 20 times a game like Ben did his first two years....Last year the Steelers threw more but that was since they were behind most of the season.....

    This season with Ben healthy and putting the work in....With the weapons in place.....Its time to see if Ben is indeed a franchise QB.........I willing to bet he passes the test with flying colors......

  5. #5
    POKER LEGEND
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    western pennsylvania
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Thats why I have been screaming for the Steelers since they drafted Ben to throw the ball more....I don't the Steelers to be the 99 Rams.......But you draft a QB in the first round for a reason and its not to just throw the ball 20 times a game like Ben did his first two years....Last year the Steelers threw more but that was since they were behind most of the season.....

    This season with Ben healthy and putting the work in....With the weapons in place.....Its time to see if Ben is indeed a franchise QB.........I willing to bet he passes the test with flying colors......
    but if he only threw it 20 times a game that usually meant we were controlling the game and the clock and those are the games we won

  6. #6
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by strong D View Post
    but if he only threw it 20 times a game that usually meant we were controlling the game and the clock and those are the games we won
    I know that....But so what we won a lot of regular season games under Bill Cowher...**** his power running game...... His predictable power running offense is why the Steelers only won 1 Super Bowl in his career......

    Look at both years the Steelers reached the Super Bowl in Cowher's career....The passing game played a huge part.......In 95 Neil O'Donnell had one of his best years and he threw to 5 WRs sets that year........The running game was good that year with Pegram/Morris but not the typical dominating running game that Cowher had most years....It was the balance on offense that was key.....Then when the Steelers made to it to Super Bowl XL....Opening up the play book and throwing the ball on early downs was huge and a big reason the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl....

    I think the running game is very important but you do need balance especially in today's NFL.....Plus why even spend a first round pick on a QB if you just want him to throw the ball 20 times a game.......You draft a guy in the first round to be your franchise....Time to see if Ben can handle it.....

  7. #7
    Draft Pick manofsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    374
    I LIKE WHAT I KEEP SEEING TIME TO TAKE THE HANDCUFFS OFF AND SEE WHAT THE BOY CAN DO AND I THINK I KNOW WHAT IM ABOUT TO SEE. THIS ISNT THE SAME OLD STEELER OFFENSE. ALTOUGH I WILL SAY I DONT WANT THEM TO LOSE THAT GOOD RUN GAME EITHER BECAUSE THERE WILL BE TIMES WHEN WE WILL HAVE TO RELY ON THAT AS WELL

  8. #8
    POKER LEGEND
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    western pennsylvania
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I know that....But so what we won a lot of regular season games under Bill Cowher...**** his power running game...... His predictable power running offense is why the Steelers only won 1 Super Bowl in his career......

    Look at both years the Steelers reached the Super Bowl in Cowher's career....The passing game played a huge part.......In 95 Neil O'Donnell had one of his best years and he threw to 5 WRs sets that year........The running game was good that year with Pegram/Morris but not the typical dominating running game that Cowher had most years....It was the balance on offense that was key.....Then when the Steelers made to it to Super Bowl XL....Opening up the play book and throwing the ball on early downs was huge and a big reason the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl....

    I think the running game is very important but you do need balance especially in today's NFL.....Plus why even spend a first round pick on a QB if you just want him to throw the ball 20 times a game.......You draft a guy in the first round to be your franchise....Time to see if Ben can handle it.....
    my pont is if he only threw it 20 times a game we were able to run the ball right at the other team and they couldnt stop it no need to throw the ball around and risk turnovers when you are having your way with the D

  9. #9
    Stairwayto7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    Posts
    6,544
    My Mood
    Horny
    I think we`ve all been anxiously awaiting this


    **** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

  10. #10
    AZ_Steeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    19,358
    All these new wrinkles and twists being thrown in is just building our anticipation. The Steelers have always looked sharp running the no huddle and with Ben re-writing the play it's only going to get better!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Gospel / Week #2
    By Iron City South in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 08:13 PM
  2. NFL team rankings in offense, defense, coaching and intangibles
    By SteelersWoman in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 02:01 PM
  3. Long pass key factor in Steelers' new offense
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
  4. Steelers will still be Steelers
    By TEEMONT in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 09:47 PM
  5. House Of Steel's PREGAME REPORT Steelers at Panthers
    By House of Steel in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •