Thread: Notebook: Injury said to be minor & other stuff

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Notebook: Injury said to be minor & other stuff

LATROBE – Lawrence Timmons said “it’s just a precaution.”

Mike Tomlin said “it’s not earth-shattering.”
    But, still, over on the sidelines, gathering mental reps as he did all spring, was Timmons, who “felt a little twinge” in the groin area and sat out of the Steelers’ afternoon practice.
    “We’re just being cautious,” said Tomlin. “We don’t want to take any steps backward as we move forward. We’ll take a look at him tonight and go from there, but until that point he did make a play or two this morning.”
    Timmons, in fact, made a diving, juggling interception of a Charlie Batch pass just before leaving the field Thursday morning. He was treated throughout lunch and resumed his spring-time position on the sideline that afternoon. He said he’ll be evaluated day to day.
    “I’m not going to rush anything. We’ve still got 20 days,” said Timmons, who actually could use some of those 20 days to learn the Steelers’ complex defense.
    “It wasn’t a specific play,” he said. “It’s just two-a-days wear on your body. … Two-hour practices each time are hard on a groin when you’ve never done that before.”

BETTING FAVORITE

According to teammates, free safety Anthony Smith is the betting favorite to instigate the first fight of training camp.
    Judging by the way he’s flying around the field, it’s understandable why the smart money’s going his way. On Thursday afternoon he rocked receiver Willie Reid on a pass over the middle.
    “He cut back and I thought he was going to keep running straight so I kind of hit him,” said Smith, who, like Reid, was a third-round draft pick last year.
    Does Smith’s style bother Tomlin?
    “No, I like that,” Tomlin said. “That’s the secondary coach in me. But, no, he’s a guy that loves to play the game. He’s a physical guy. Guys kind of know his playing personality and we appreciate it.”
    Smith’s “playing personality” was on display Thursday morning during the blitz pick-up drill which pit safeties and nickel backs against running backs. Smith couldn’t be blocked, and he let everyone know it.
    “They couldn’t really stop me and I had a good day with the bets,” he said. “Nobody could stop me.”

RB COACH BREAKS IT DOWN

New running back coach Kirby Wilson on his boys after the second blitz pick-up drill of the week:
    “Right now, Najeh (Davenport) is really an outstanding pass protector. I think all the other guys are coming along. Carey Davis is doing some really good things. John Kuhn is really a better pass protector than he’s given credit for. We’re just trying to improve, and right now they’re all competing.”
    Davenport was the back who was flattened by rookie LaMarr Woodley on Tuesday.
    “That caught him off guard because you’re not allowed to cut in that drill and the young guy didn’t understand the tempo of it,” Wilson said. “But it was very impressive and it got Najeh’s attention.”
    As for Davis, the fullback-tailback tweener is leaving Kevan Barlow in the dust in the battle for a roster spot. And Kuhn flattened defensive tackle Scott Paxson later in the day during the 9-on-7 run game session. It drew the loudest reaction of the day from the crowd at Chuck Noll Field.

WARD RIPS ROOKIES

Hines Ward had some strong words for the rookies, particularly undrafted tight end Cody Boyd.
    “He was garbage,” Ward said. “And the rookie wideouts, they’re probably the poorest out of all of them, so I’ve got to really work with them.”
    Please, go on Hines.
    “This is the worst class in terms of talent,” Ward said. “They’re going to have to step up their game for this year’s Rookie Talent Show because our talent is terrible here.” Yes, Ward was talking about the rookies’ singing ability.
    More updates everybody.....I like Smith bein cocky and doing something with it, thats going to win him a starters job.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Nice read deez

IMO Timmons will be fine & ready to go in time of our season opener !

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Let's make it perfectly clear that Ward's comments on the rookies showing the least talent were in regards to their singing ... not playing.

Camp initiations have begun and part of it is having the rookies standing up to sing a song of a vets choice in the lunch room. They have to do it with passion and emotion too ....

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    As for Davis, the fullback-tailback tweener is leaving Kevan Barlow in the dust in the battle for a roster spot. And Kuhn flattened defensive tackle Scott Paxson later in the day during the 9-on-7 run game session. It drew the loudest reaction of the day from the crowd at Chuck Noll Field.
    Nice to see that Davis and Kuhn will be sending Barlow packing. I never liked the Barlow signing and I don't want to see him on the roster.
    Davis might just be the diamond in the rough, for the Steelers.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    I was reading Hines' comments and thinking...whoah!!!! That doesn't sound like him....what's up with that???!!! LOL! I don't give a flip if they can sing as long as they can get it done on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
    I was reading Hines' comments and thinking...whoah!!!! That doesn't sound like him....what's up with that???!!! LOL! I don't give a flip if they can sing as long as they can get it done on the field.
    I was thinking the same thing I think this is just his way to motivate the rookies and get them to raise their game a few levels and what a better way to do it!! Call them out in the media

I really like Smith last year and felt he needed to be starting but I understand the whole rookie thing and having them start... Plus the Steelers had signed a couple of other safeties last year too so it only made sense to let him develop a little more. Hearing this story about him at camp really has me excited now. Troy and Smith running around in the secondary, and they both want to lay somebody out!!! This is going to be awesome!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Anthony Smith is a badass....Can't wait to see Smith light up TJ Humpshismama again....lol

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    It is good to see that spirits are high at camp.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    Let's make it perfectly clear that Ward's comments on the rookies showing the least talent were in regards to their singing ... not playing.

Camp initiations have begun and part of it is having the rookies standing up to sing a song of a vets choice in the lunch room. They have to do it with passion and emotion too ....

I bet that's a hoot to watch! Anyone got a link to any video footage on that?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Hines says these rookies can't sing then maybe they need to go back to the Glee club for some pointers

You can bet Douchebagzada will be thinking about that hit last year when he sees Anthony Smith this season !!

Thread Information