Thread: PM Practice Report: 25 July

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

PM Practice Report: 25 July

It was tight ends attempting to block linebackers one-on-one in a running drill that caught my eye early on in Wednesday afternoon’s practice.

It was tight ends attempting to block linebackers one-on-one in a running drill that caught my eye early on in Wednesday afternoon’s practice.

And boy, do the Pittsburgh Steelers young tight ends have a ways to go as run blockers.

James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley pretty much dominated whoever they lined up against, with only Heath Miller and Jerame Tuman holding their own at the point of attack.

Jon Dekker pretty much got tossed around by whomever he faced and Cody Boyd got a couple of pretty good chewing outs from coach James Daniels after allowing his man to slip off blocks.

Matt Spaeth was also uneven in his blocking, though he did win his individual matchup a couple of times.

Spaeth also got an earful from Daniels and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians when the team broke for 9-on-9 inside running when he lined up at the wrong position, causing the team to re-huddle.

The only change in the lineup this afternoon was Anthony Smith replacing Ryan Clark at free safety. But as I reported this morning, those two will rotate on a practice-by-practice basis.

The team spent a good portion of today’s practice working on its two-minute offense and defense. In both cases, the defense kept the offense out of the end zone, though both were in field goal range.

The first-team offense, however, blew any chance for a score. On fourth down and six from the 13 with eight seconds to go, both Alan Faneca and Marvel Smith false started, causing the clock to be run down for zero. Those are the kind of kinks that need to be worked out now.

Deshea Townsend made a nice pick of a Ben Roethlisberger pass in seven-on-seven drills.

Santonio Holmes and Verron Haynes are still out.

By Dale Lolley
    SteelCityInsider.com
    25 July 2007
    Our young TE's can't block, not good to hear even if its only the 2nd day of camp. Definitely like Silverback and The Wood dominating everybody

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Woodley is just freaking nasty and I can't wait to watch this dude lay the wood in pre-season.....I'm very excited about his potential....

There have only been good things being said about Woodley so far in camp.
    I'm looking forward to seeing him in action this preseason.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

Myron "Laying The" Woodley!!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I love to see Harrison and Woodley kicking in *** in practice...it also shows that Heath and Jerame are still are best 2 tight ends just like last year. Dekker and Spaeth can still come around since it's still early in camp but so far they've got a lot of work to do.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i'm not worried, spaeth is a rookie and isn't gonna be a starter, and the other guys are nothing more the practice squad players, so them not being able to block doesn't concern me, at least our two main tight ends are doing good i'm fine with it, i'm sure spaeth will get better throughout training camp, but i think he'll be in more on passing downs anyway
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Spaeth has already looked better then he did in mini camps....I guess he just looked terrible in mini camps.....But the reports this training camps suggest yes he still has alot to work to improve his blocking but there has been some improvement.....So thats a good sign.........

Harrison is good And Woodley lookin to be a good pick. Give Spaeth and the TE a little more time they will work the kinks out. Offense not bein able to score I dont like that. But that will change too I mean they are trying to score against the best D in the league

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley pretty much dominated whoever they lined up against, with only Heath Miller and Jerame Tuman holding their own at the point of attack.
    Like I said in a previous post, we are so lucky the Woodley was there for our 2nd pick. It's like we had 2 first rd picks this season.

As for the TE's, it's nice to see Tuman is not gonna give up his spot to easily. I think from his blocking standpoint, he will make the roster. Tuman can also catch the ball, he was a heck of a receiver back at Michigan. We all know that since Miller and Tuman have been on the team, the Steelers have not been a TE friendly offense in the passing game.

Thread Information