Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning Practice: 24 July

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Morning Practice: 24 July

With the run test behind them, the Steelers sunk their teeth into their first practice of Mike Tomlin's training camp. Here's what happened.

Gary Russell

So much for the easy stuff.

While Monday’s run test may have been easier than what many of the players expected, Tuesday’s opening practice of training camp for the Pittsburgh Steelers involved hitting - and plenty of it.

After some position drills, head coach Mike Tomlin brought the linebackers and running backs together for a little backs on backers – something that had never been done in the morning drills under Bill Cowher.

By my scoring, the offense won the drill by a slight margin, with undrafted rookie running back Gary Russell showing very good skills as a blocker on blitz pickup. Russell stoned Clint Kriewaldt, Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote and Richard Koonce in his one-on-one blocking, showing good leverage.
    Timmons, the team's No. 1 pick, didn't look good in the drill, also getting stoned by Carey Davis and Willie Parker. Maybe he's still getting his feet under him after missing all of the offseason workouts.

On the defensive side, James Harrison, as usual, looked good in this drill, dominating Parker, Kevan Barlow, Larry Croom and getting good pressure on Najeh Davenport despite being fought to a draw. That’s four experienced NFL running backs Harrison went up against.

Davenport, who did well otherwise, had the drill’s most embarrassing moment, getting run over by rookie linebacker LaMarr Woodley on the final repetition of the drill for a pancake into the quarterback.

After that, it was on to 10 minutes of 9-on-9 inside running drills with only the corners and wide receivers not taking part. There was plenty of hitting here and it almost looked like a goal-line drill with its intensity and hitting.

Team portion of the morning practice came next, with the only notable moments being fumbled center exchanges by Ben Roethlisberger and Chukky Okobi, and later by Sean Mahan and Charlie Batch.

Nate Washington opened at wide receiver in place of Santonio Holmes, who’s out after having some kind of minor surgical proceedure. Holmes was at practice and is moving around fine, so he shouldn’t be out long. During punt drills, the return men were Washington, Willie Reid, Dan Sheldon, Cedrick Wilson, Jovon johnson, Chris Jackson and, yes, Ricardo Colclough. Only Wilson mishandled a punt, though.

By Dale Lolley
    For SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Jul 24, 2007
    Sounds like Harrison is pumped up, hopefully it won't take long for Timmons to get settled in.
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 07-24-2007 at 01:44 PM.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Davenport, who did well otherwise, had the drill’s most embarrassing moment, getting run over by rookie linebacker LaMarr Woodley on the final repetition of the drill for a pancake into the quarterback.
    How embarrassing for Davenport!!!
    During punt drills, the return men were Washington, Willie Reid, Dan Sheldon, Cedrick Wilson, Jovon johnson, Chris Jackson and, yes, Ricardo Colclough.
    Someone needs to show Tomlin the tape of the Steelers/Bengals first game last year!!! Anybody have a copy to send him?

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Timmons, the team's No. 1 pick, didn't look good in the drill, also getting stoned by Carey Davis and Willie Parker. Maybe he's still getting his feet under him after missing all of the offseason workouts.
    He is gonna be a project and thats not what you want from a first rounder.

We are really lucky he fell to us in the second round. He has first round talent and future probowler written all over him.

And I'm not gonna even comment on the Ricardo Colclough experiment feilding punts.

It's too early to be down on Timmons. Sure he has a lot to prove since he was our first round pick, but he missed the OTAs with the injury so give him some time.
    It's good to hear good things about Russell.
    We all know James Harrison is a beast and these drills show off his strength.
    I don't have a problem with having Ricardo returning punts as long as he isn't their main guy. The report said he is one of SEVEN guys. It's clear that he won't be anything more than a possible nickel/dime corner so why not have him work as a returner in training camp drills? Now if he is the returner come week one I will be pissed but I don't see that happening.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

Reppin' 724
    Why in Gods name are they actually wearing those yellow helmets?

Good article though.

SA's Official God steelcurtain09's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    Why in Gods name are they actually wearing those yellow helmets?
    because those helmets look sick

and i mean tht in the good way

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Very cool to hear Gary Russell doing well in the backs vs backers drills....He is a dark horse to make the team........So showing he can do the little things well is huge if Russell wants to make the team......

I'm pumped that Woodley made some waves in the drill as well.......

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain09 View Post
    because those helmets look sick

and i mean tht in the good way
    No...the black ones look sick. The yellow ones are just supposed to be for two games...I dunno why they wanna use them for camp......

Quote Originally Posted by introyitrust View Post
    It's too early to be down on Timmons. Sure he has a lot to prove since he was our first round pick, but he missed the OTAs with the injury so give him some time.
    It's good to hear good things about Russell.
    We all know James Harrison is a beast and these drills show off his strength.
    I don't have a problem with having Ricardo returning punts as long as he isn't their main guy. The report said he is one of SEVEN guys. It's clear that he won't be anything more than a possible nickel/dime corner so why not have him work as a returner in training camp drills? Now if he is the returner come week one I will be pissed but I don't see that happening.
    I agree as well. Everyone is going to have bad days at practice. It happens. It has happened to Ben plenty of times, Hines and even Troy have had bad practices. I am not worried.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

POKER LEGEND
    i would love to see russel make the team and say goodbye to haynes

Thread Information