Where Are They Now?
JERRY OLSAVSKY
Linebacker

1989-97

Resides in Youngstown, Ohio

What is your current job and what does it entail?

I am coaching at Youngstown State. It's good because I am home in Youngstown and close to my second home which is Pittsburgh. I am coaching linebackers and some special teams. It's a lot of fun. It's as close as I can get to the game now. I enjoy it but it's a lot harder than playing. Playing you just have one guy to worry about and not all of your players.

What is the fondest memory from your playing career?

That is hard. Super Bowl XXX, while it can't be fond because we lost, the experience was good. The overall living a dream. I am sure every kid from around here has dreamed about paying in the NFL. I was able to do it. My rookie year I had a good time too and played a lot. I would have to say my rookie year.

What was your best game?

When I was a rookie I played pretty good against Chicago and Denver. I always tried to play good against San Francisco because it was owned by somebody from Youngstown. It's hard to say because as a player you always look at the bad parts. Nobody is perfect. I just tried to always get better.

What did you like most about playing for the Steelers?

You don't appreciate it when you are here. It's a family business but like when I was little, wake up and do your school work we will put food on the table. That's the way it is. We know it's a business, but when you are here they care about you. One day they are going to have to cut you. Don't have any hard feelings, that's just the way things are. It's like going to church, or back to your school, this is a place you are familiar with. I played nine years and left and you see other places and it's a little different. You find out the grass isn't always greener. I was grateful for all of the experiences.

Teammate you were closest to during your playing days and why?

I would say there were three guys that I bonded with – Arial Solomon because we were both 10th round picks and weren't supposed to be around but were around for a while. Dermontti Dawson because my locker was next to his. Greg Lloyd because I looked up to him and wanted to play with his intensity. Although I thought I was intense I don't think I could match his intensity. Those three it would be.

Do you still keep in touch with former teammates?

I try to, but when you have three kids and a job you don't have as much free time as when you were a player. It's hard. You aren't used to it. You played 10 years and had three months of free time. Then you start working and coaching and you have a week. But when you meet up again everything is the same like when you were in the locker room.

Who is the one player you think should definitely be on the 75th season team?

I would say all of the Hall of Fame guys. That goes without saying. But if I had to pick just one, Jack Lambert.

Do you still follow the Steelers and if so, how closely?

As a college coach we work hard on Sunday's so I try to keep tabs. I try to check on things if something big is going on. I haven't watched a full game in about seven years. It's just too hard.