Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Truth About Big Ben

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    He also tore it up going into the SB. Maybe a lot of things went wrong for him that game. Seattle's D did play well so that would have been part of it. Maybe he got caught up in everything. I don't know. But I do know what our record is with him over the past 2 years. I'll take that considering how young he is.

I can see where Legend is coming from... sort of! I'm sure we have all read the articles from these guys that write about a team, but it just so happens to be their favorite team. We all moan and groan about what these media types say, but like Legend is saying these guys don't understand the game because they are to busy being a fan... If I'm understadning him correctly...

Legend you may have played football at a "high" level and understand the game, but you can't come onto a board, a Steelers board on top of that, saying that people are fans and don't understand the game. Yes everyone on this board is fans, but I gaurantee you that a lot of these members probably understand the game just as much as you do. So before you start flexing your muscles and claiming to be a "football man" then maybe you should stop and realize what Ben has done for the Steelers in two years. Oh yeah, and did I mention that the past two years were his first two years in the league!

A lot of people will take pro bowlers! That's fine all you really get there is a lot of fluff, a QB with awesome stats but nothing to show for it. Ben has a record, as a starter, of 27-4. Of those 4 loses, one of the games wasn't even close because he was coming off an injury and had some rust. Another loss was the AFCG where nerves and the NFL's grueling schedule had a lot to do with, and another loss was because the refs gave the other team an extra 51 seconds which allowed them to get into FG range and win the game. The fourth loss had al ot to do with Ben because of his 3 INT's but that was his first game playing with the broken thumb.

In case you forgot the injury that caused Ben to miss his games last year was to his knee. Fast forward to the last quarter of the season. Ben is on the field leading his team and playing with a broken thumb on his throwing hand and look how far he lead the Steelers!

I'm not disagreeing with you, Ben had some injuries last year... Some of these injuries could have forced others to have missed a lot more games than what Ben actually did. The point of the matter is, he played through pain and lead his team to the Super Bowl! You can't knock him for the knee injuries, that's what happens to QB's who stand in the pocket, ie Carson Palmer.

IMO it's ok to disagree with what another member posts, but to disrespect a member and say they don't understand the game... that's a little out of line in my book and disrepsectful.
    Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 09-07-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THE LEGEND
    Ben is a fine QB any team would be happy to have him ( less the Patroits or Colts) but there are better QB's and that doen not taking a thing away from Ben.

He had an absoult stinker in the SB.......Never happend to Brady.
    Brady might not have stunk it up in the SB, but he's lucky he had a good kicker or he wouldn't be the NFL's "Golden Boy" right now. He would have a SB record of 1-2.

Like I already said above... I feel sorry for the next defense that faces Ben in the SB he will erase any thought of a bad SB performance!

House of Steel
    At the least we can say, a kicker didn't bail us out at the end of the Super Bowl and won the game by 3! I made my point. TWICE the PAST pulled that stunt. Ben may not of been on his best rhythm for the Super Bowl, but he did win us the game? I mean the score did prove that.

I understand your other point.. Point Taken!! my apology.

Waterboy
    "IMO it's ok to disagree with what another member posts, but to disrespect a member and say they don't understand the game... that's a little out of line in my book and very disrepsectful."

I am not trying to disrespect anyone I was just trying to make a point
    about posters stating what is in their heart and what is a sound football
    decision are two different things and thinking that Big Ben is in the same
    level as Manning or Brady is a fan speaking not a football mind.

Brady and Manning are #1 and #1a everyone else is under them. ( I put Ben right behind them) No disrespect to ben or anyone here, but the facts are
    facts, Ben Has an issue in health and has an issue in the big games.
    ( Patroits Playoff game and SB ) Now Manning has issues in big games vs Patroits himself, but he is healthy and the numbers will always be there,
    you plug him into your offence and you are the favs for the SB not the Colts

So I hope I cleared this up, I think Ben is very good and more times than not
    very good is all you need but when you talk about guy's like Brady or Manning
    your talking about HOF's that are playing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by THE LEGEND
    "I wouldn't trade him for any other QB right now."

open you eyes this kid has helth issues or al least issues with staying healthy
    how may starts has Manning or Brady missed? Still want ben than you don't
    understand Football.......you understand being a fan.........there is a difference.

This is one of the most idiotic things I've ever read on this site.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!! He gets hurt alot?!?! Oh, yeah, and I'm sure Tom Brady wouldn't get hurt if he was in a motorcycle accident. And obviously an appendectomy means you're a very fragile player. Yeah.

What major injuries has Roethlisberger had? The motorcycle, which is a freak thing that happened off the field. The apendectomy, which is also a freak thing that happened off the field, and oh yeah, that time he took a helmet to the knee. Give me 1 QB who wouldn't get hurt on that play. You can't, because everyone would. Manning doesn't get hurt because he doesn't leave the pocket. Brady is somewhat the same way. Actually, I think Ben may be the toughest QB in the league. I mean, who else comes back that quickly from a major motorcycle accident? Who has an appendectomy, and is only expected to miss 2 weeks? Who has a knee injury as severe as Roethlisberger's, and then comes back in a few weeks and leads his team to the Super Bowl? You can also talk about his various thumb problems, but if anything that just shows more toughness. How many QBs would just sit out if they had a thumb injury like Roethlisberger's? Big Ben didn't. Based on the description of the injury, and what was required to treat it, I'm shocked he could even throw a ball. And yet, he came back and led his team to the Super Bowl.

Now, personally, I still think Peyton Manning is a better quarterback, if only because he combines his incredible skill with a knowledge of the game that is probably better than that of most offensive coordinators. Now Brady on the other hand, I don't understand why people even have him up there. He doesn't have the great skills of Manning, he CERTAINLY doesn't have the football knowledge of Manning, and if anyone is a product of a system, it's him, not Roethlisberger. No way Brady makes that pass to Ward in the Super Bowl, the one where Ben ran out of the pocket, stopped at the line of scrimmage, and threw across the field. Hell, Starkey practically calls Brady out, when he says that Roethlisberger "doesn't just dink and dunk". And think about the great scoring drives each guy has lead. Ben's usually end in touchdowns. Brady's almost always involve getting the ball in good field position, dinking and dunking a few times and letting the recievers run after the catch, and then stopping just inside Vinatieri's range and letting him kick the winning field goal.

And again, the Super Bowl is a great example of how great Ben is. Starkey was right on when he compared Ben's Super Bowl performance to that of a great pitcher who doesn't have his best stuff, but still makes his pitches and wins the game. If Brady started off as bad as Ben did, I guarantee he throws 3 picks and the pats get crushed.

Waterboy
    "a kicker didn't bail us out at the end of the Super Bowl and won the game by 3"

House did you even watch the game? no one bailed anyone out. Did Vinitari
    throw the touchdowns to branch and givens or for that matter to you boy
    vrable....no he did not in fact it was Brady who marched the team, both times, down the field on a very short clock to put the TEAM not him self
    in a position to win and win they did, you cannot take anything from Brady in
    fact with out Brady who would even know who vinitari is.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't think anyone said one QB was better than the other. I said I wouldn't want any of them on the Steelers now that we have Ben. There is more to being a great QB than just stats alone. Team chemistry is a big one and I don't think Manning would have that with our team. Brady probably could.

Also, Welcome to SA "The Legend"!
    Last edited by Steelersfan; 09-07-2006 at 06:23 PM.

House of Steel
    Excuse me? Your wrong!!

Super Bowl XXXVIII against Carolina:

Adam Vinatieri kicked a 41-yard field goal with four seconds remaining as the Patriots won their second Super Bowl in three seasons.

Super Bowl XXXVI against St. Louis

Adam Vinatieri's 48-yard field goal as time expired gave the New England Patriots their first Super Bowl title.

Now tell me something, who knows FOOTBALL???

Legend, I will always respect your opinions and thoughts, beside the point, you are a friend and always will be. We may debate one another, but everyone that comes here is a friend to me. I had to correct you here, cause in fact, I know pretty much about football, I am a former High School Backup QB, RB, SS, and WR. Played as a third stringer QB for the University of Toledo 1999-2000, I was on the squad that upset Penn State as I was on the bench the whole time. I am very interested to hear about your career, if you don't mind? I would like to hear about your highlights and stuff. Have a good night!!
    Last edited by House of Steel; 09-07-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan
    I don't think anyone said one QB was better than the other. I said I wouldn't want any of them on the Steelers now that we have Ben. There is more to being a great QB than just stats alone. Team chemistry is a big one and I don't think Manning would have that with our team. Brady probably could.

Also, Welcome to SA "The Legend"!
    Great point....and by the way I agree

Thread Information